Engine Rattles , En-light me please

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RocknRolla

Reaction score
Hi guys and thank you in advance for your opinions.

Lately I can hear a rattling noise coming from the right side of the engine. At the beginning I thought to myself that it might a valve or camshaft drive , but listening carefully while I was driving I noticed that the rattling noise was no there any more. So after spending much time and searching I came to the conclusion that the noise comes much lower from the cylinders specifically from the clutch case. I played with my clutch to see if it was the discs but nothing happened . The noise remains. Only when I shift first gear on and holding the breaks ,releasing the clutch slowly to barely give move to the wheel to want to move the noise stops.
I am bit confused there... I dont want to open the whole thing for no reason. although at 27000miles and clutch discs have never been replaces is quite a strong point. But rather be sure. Anyone has ever dealt with something similar before ?

Does the noise go away if you idle in neutral and pull in your clutch? Sounds like clutch rattle, normal noise
Changing the oil may help

Does the noise go away if you idle in neutral and pull in your clutch? Sounds like clutch rattle, normal noise
Changing the oil may help

Unfortunately no , when the bike is idling and I pull the clutch the noise doesn't stop. It only stops like I described before when I shift first gear and I slightly release the clutch , but keep the bike stopped with the breaks...

If it is concerning you then for the cost of a gasket I'd be inclined to have a look inside.
Do this on the side-stand and you won't even loose much oil.

Whilst we can all try to guess at to the problem at some stage a physical examination will be necessary.

And if you want to save that new gasket i'd just get a film of engine oil on it so the next time you remove the cover you can peel the gasket off without braking it. I've done that several times with no issues. Imagine if i had to get a new gasket every time i need to tune the lockup... The same doesn't apply to the other covers though... With the clutch i never had a problem. The other day when i was in transit attending to a bike show i had to remove the cover and discs due to a slippage issue (bad lockup tuning) and i assembled everything back up and did 150 miles more with no issues...

Thanks guys the gasket was not an issue i have spares near by , just wondering that I might be wrong that it's the clutch that has the problem . Well it seems like physical examination is the only option here to detect what's wrong and that's what I was trying to avoid.

Thanks a lot for your time guys really appreciate it .

is there any new news on this my bike is making a similar noise

well if the screws that hold the bearing that is behind the cluch pop there heads the peace that holds the bearing in can fall onto the shaft the screws are soft ones

On a separate note;

I know it's normal for these bikes clutch baskets to make noise in nuetral and go away when clutch is pulled.

Does anyone know the explanation for this???? Is it the noise of the first transmission shaft turning, and then quitting when the clutch is pulled? Or is that clutch basket have that much slop in it?

My new engine makes all kinds of wierd noises just like the old one; I know the valves are correcly lashed and every component is new, I just try not to listen.....:biglaugh:

Latest posts

Back