engine vibration

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a 06 gen1, all stock, air filter, jets, exhaust, all stock. 17k miles, has anyone ever noticed a vibration in engine at 3k and 4k rpms? runs smooth under and over them rpms. I have a 05 gen1 it does the same. It is right at 55 and 60 mph, I've done sync, with carb. tune checked for air leaks found know problems. pilot jets are new, o.e.m. Air fuel screws tried, 1.5 to 3.0 turns out, vibration is always there. Mostly happens at operating temperature.

You should try it without the balance weights (we did that for a few race engines and the vibration was wicked).

[Can you explain more indepth what you mean. or are you saying this is normal vibrations'
You should try it without the balance weights (we did that for a few race engines and the vibration was wicked).
going OTE="one2dmax, post: 534022, member: 70"]
You should try it without the balance weights (we did tes and the vibration was wicked).
[/QUOTE]
I have a 06 gen1, all stock, air filter, jets, exhaust, all stock. 17k miles, has anyone ever noticed a vibration in engine at 3k and 4k rpms? runs smooth under and over them rpms. I have a 05 gen1 it does the same. It is right at 55 and 60 mph, I've done sync, with carb. tune checked for air leaks found know problems. pilot jets are new, o.e.m. Air fuel screws tried, 1.5 to 3.0 turns out, vibration is always there. Mostly happens at operating temperature.

Last edited:
foot pegs, seat, handle bars. it vibrates in neutral when sitting rev up to 3k to4k rpms. Also have cops installed, don't like them, switching back to stock this winter.
And when you on the road at these revs?
Have you checked the engine mounts for integrity and that all mounting bolts are at the correct torque? (p3-79 of the Service manual refers)

Have you checked the engine mounts for integrity and that all mounting bolts are at the correct torque? (p3-79 of the Service manual
Good advice, though referencing chapter 3, p. 79 of the service manual might be a more-precise reference. I might find myself trying to figure-out, "now where in the tarnation between p. 3 and p. 79 is that?"

Using the .pdf page counter, it's p. 203 of 405 pp. The page count on each page is first the chapter, in this case, chapter 3, and then the page in that chapter, page 79. It reads, 3-79. No chapter prefix, no page prefix.

For anyone using the service manual for the first time, the first 64 pp. are annual model updates. It is a good idea to see what's in there, as the updates supersede prior info listed form the service manual first published in 1984 for the 1985 model year. Annual model numbers are indicated by a letter after VMX12, then a letter.

If you use a fiche page online, you can see by each year, what the letter suffix is. An example: Yamaha 2007 Motorcycle OEM Parts, Ron Ayers

Then look for VMax, the CA suffix is CARB-compliant motorcycles for the State of California. Here's a non-California example, then a California example:

1696280226595.png
Here is the 1985 model:
1696280417460.png
Unless otherwise indicated, any 'running change' as-of a date/model year specified in the supplement for that date, is in-effect for any subsequent model year (following model years). That's a good thing, as your bike after that date has the 'better' part(s). Part numbers also will be changed to reflect a change, but the fiche picture may not be updated! 1985-1995 models used a front of the frame cross-brace which is straight-across, and the internal oil filter, with the external cast-aluminum housing oil filter.

The 1996-'07 models use a curved frame cross-brace in the vicinity of the oil filter. However, if you look at the Ron Ayres fiche of the frame, it uses a picture showing the straight cross-brace, not the 1996+ curved frame cross-brace. At this time, if you look at the frame cross-brace part numbers, you will see the 1995 and 1996 part numbers are the same. It's possible that if you order the cross-brace using this part number for your 1985-1995 bike, you will receive a curved frame cross-brace. The curved frame cross-brace will fit any Gen. 1 VMax, 1985-2007. The straight frame crossbrace will only fit up-to 1995 model year, assuming you use the old-style cast-aluminum oil filter housing. There are adapters to allow the use of the more-modern style oil filter which is self-enclosed, and which does-away with the cast aluminum early VMax oil filter housing.

There are also adapters and remote location oil filter brackets, if you want to do that. I think K.I.S.S. is the best practice.

There is also a thread (or threads) on errors in the factory service manual. Those are good to be able to recognize.
https://www.vmaxforum.net/threads/how-to-errors-in-official-manuals-preventing-proper-how-tos.44668/

Attachments

• 1696280335917.png
    1696280335917.png
    2.7 KB · Views: 0
Have you checked the engine mounts for integrity and that all mounting bolts are at

Have you checked the engine mounts for integrity and that all mounting bolts are at the correct torque? (p3-79 of the Service manual refers)
yes, torqued frame and exhaust. rear wheel. Even did swing arm. happens right at 3k rpms the worse is at 4k. right off of 4rpms it smoothes back out. i need to tomorow , when it does it, feel the frame or something to find out where it is coming from.

Don't suppose it has solid mounts?

It would also be worthwhile trying to blag a ride on another Max to do a comparison.

not sure it only does it when temperture is at normal riding temp. little less than half on temp. gauage. notice yesturday ,turn air fuel screws out 3.25 turns it helps . my 05 does it too.

If everything is OE then you could try to change where the vibrations kick in (resonant frequency) by (say) different bar or foot pegs. You can get damping masses for the bars which will also alter the resonant frequency.

I use BB'S in my handle bars I believe its some but a lot fun watching bounce off the garage floor when ya forget their in there
Lead shot works too, and is more-dense. Then there are bar-snakes.

https://www.barsnake.com/
The Barsnake is a precisely gauged cylinder composed of a high-tech polymer which when properly installed inside tubular handlebars, dampens many high frequency vibrations that cause numbing, painful and even dangerous hand and wrist trauma.

1696433824022.png

Back