ERGONONOMICS , Starting with Very Different Handlebars

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Patineto

Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is something I know, {Officially with two tittles and evertyhing) But on the Vmaxs is a Totally Crap Shoot..
i come from more than two decades of Real ADVenture riding & Rally racing>>>

riding from san francisco to death valley with out touching a single freeway is 9 Hours (Thanks to a friend that is the TOPO map Magicician..

Just as important in a dayly basis had to commute to from Berkeley to school in PAlo ALTO and had Fresh Hands to DRAW or play with tools all day long or build Bicycle wheels ($65 dollars in 45 minutes was not a bad deal) So my hands had to be absolutely fresh with zero arm pump..
20231110_153745(3).jpg

Last edited:
From the Pentangle of Yearly Trips..

*SF to Whistler in British Columbia in less than 22Hours for 1280 miles, with my girlfriends that was a pro DownHill racers and a Hell of a MOTORCYCLE Rider, 5 times better than me at least...

*SF to MOAB /Fruita at least one all in a daylight so about 10 Hours (misch shorter only about 950M)

*SF to La paz to watch the baja 1000, 1000 a day of riding at least, many times Dirt or sand

*SF to the famous bike swap in denver , the only "Sleeping" trip, but about 35/36hours of Riding
with out ERGONOMICS it will be impossible or at least the kind of Numbers an millage, on a ill fitted bike ad 20% and One day of rest..

we also travel Europe a lot, bmw had me a bike there, good 1800kilometers per day, if not going into Morocco and deeper..
is pretty amazing to be able to do a iron Butt from barcelona to the type of Scothand, counting the train segment and everything, so Very fun and the PEAKS oh my good only Argentina or NEpal to compare to the Stelvio pass....
Record, record 21.000kilometers in 2 week after Intermot, speliping on totally idilic plces fr also nothings , since os of season..
other fun thing, i can fly from any place and the company will have the bike ready for me in what other city i want to plan next time..

IMG_7831.jpg

20231110_153749.jpg
This are parts i use to make for bmw boxers (in this case for the R1200R) but fit the current OEM top clamp to perfection, (soon i will have a less wimpy fork)
The hole fit a ton of accesorories and thousends amazon gizmos 7/8" tubes, just like a bike bar

This

OH my saddle is going to be at lest 4 maybe 5inches higher and hopefully about the same forward

I will love to find a crappy fake tank cover To hack it with out caring
Matter of TASTE, Just To many years ridingRally bikes taller than me

The wind i don't care

I know exactly how you feel. My last 4 bikes were BMW R1200GS, oil and water cooled. Every one of them was outfitted by me with Sargent seats, handlebar risers and Moose foot pegs. I am 6'2" and with those subtle changes the ergonomics were great.

With that said, I have always wanted a Vmax 1200 (don't really like the looks of the 1700). The ergonomics in stock form are not the best for a tall rider. My Vmax, besides having the stock seat, also came with the newer style Corbin seat which is taller and wider. I just switched out the handlebars with one that is a little taller, mor pull back and, most importantly about 3" wider. The width alone makes a huge difference, especially in a top-heavy bike like the Vmax. Next week I got some adjustable foot pegs coming. They have a 40 MM swivel range, so they will be mounted down and back, this will give me more room and ergonomics closer to what I am used. FWD controls are out of the question for me, I hated them on the Harleys I owned.

I only drove the bike a few miles so far, but with the seat and the handlebars alone it is quite comfortable, the adjustable pegs will make it even better. I don't care about the somewhat reduced cornering clearance. I will never push the Vmax around corners like I did my GSs because it will never handle like a BMW. I bought the Vmax to have fun, she reminds me of my 69 Chevelle SS which had a EFI 454 HO, great from stop light to stop light. I'll probably get another GS next year, that way I have the best of both worlds.

I know exactly how you feel. My last 4 bikes were BMW R1200GS, oil and water cooled. Every one of them was outfitted by me with Sargent seats, handlebar risers and Moose foot pegs. I am 6'2" and with those subtle changes the ergonomics were great.

With that said, I have always wanted a Vmax 1200 (don't really like the looks of the 1700). The ergonomics in stock form are not the best for a tall rider. My Vmax, besides having the stock seat, also came with the newer style Corbin seat which is taller and wider. I just switched out the handlebars with one that is a little taller, mor pull back and, most importantly about 3" wider. The width alone makes a huge difference, especially in a top-heavy bike like the Vmax. Next week I got some adjustable foot pegs coming. They have a 40 MM swivel range, so they will be mounted down and back, this will give me more room and ergonomics closer to what I am used. FWD controls are out of the question for me, I hated them on the Harleys I owned.

I only drove the bike a few miles so far, but with the seat and the handlebars alone it is quite comfortable, the adjustable pegs will make it even better. I don't care about the somewhat reduced cornering clearance. I will never push the Vmax around corners like I did my GSs because it will never handle like a BMW. I bought the Vmax to have fun, she reminds me of my 69 Chevelle SS which had a EFI 454 HO, great from stop light to stop light. I'll probably get another GS next year, that way I have the best of both worlds.
MY passion for Human power Start very young, like 8 years old by 13 won the silver metal in short track at the latin olimpics in quads skates, but i keep tunning it, stydy industrial design first, then my first scholarship In ergonomics science , not exactly my topic but the only one available, then out of the blue at the biomechanics program at Stanford< everybody uses Ergonomics as a Selling tool, but is a very serious science...
do to my dixlecic disability i can not type publicity Crap, but you give me you body numbers and the vehicle and after a deep understanding on the contact points and the forces inside the machine like center of mass i can get you really close..

i realize as a aftermarket supplier, i will by a fireman with a water bottle so i work with the "Evel empire" as the mad science and try my best to modified the "Multi use plaftform" (Same everything for all models and then different Skins , the chassis of a R1200Rt is 95% EXACTLY the Same as a GS)
then some commercial endeavors, take advantage dress nice at the MOA rally but they have no clue what are really doing
this is part of a study from 1996 when I got my first oilhead to tabulate body measurements

https://patineto.smugmug.com/Business/n-c62kL/New-prototypes/Yes-so-you-KNOW-Im-serius/

Many people took some ideas and ran with it but since my upbringing was with NONE FAIL Equipment like helicopters and bomb proof vehicles i did not persue because they where not sturdy enough to the rIgors of a RTW or the Dakar on a HPN bike

the Vmax is another story, is a authenticated nuclear reactor and the mass is so huge i'm not sure i can make it into a graceful ballerina but at least on mine i'm going to try..
I suck at business , i be working with DARPA again if the Iffy moral purposes did not bother me so much, so i will document my discoveries so the community benefit, dont promise more, is a old american Car engine on two Wheels

Just look at all this, pretty much none are commercial but they are So much more Advance is not even funny
They are many brilliant brain in this world, all MAD Science because the money makers don't know how to bottle up their Genius
just look Carefully , center of mass and gravity are key..

https://patineto.smugmug.com/Motorcycles/n-DQLRX/None-convisional-motorcycle-su

I am extremely curious to know your progress!
I am 6'4" and have a gen one (1985)!!
Please keep us all up to date with your project.

Praise God!!!

I am extremely curious to know your progress!
I am 6'4" and have a gen one (1985)!!
Please keep us all up to date with your project.

Praise God!!!
You have my word

also keep in mind Ergonomics is not only for tall people>>

in a little but i elaborate in the back sweep of the bars on the Elbow and then shoulder effects
this things are PIGS, you need to optimize you biomechanicals advantage to show them Who is boss

I don't work anymore, so i just play all day, but i just got a Cane Corso yesterday and he is FIVE hand fulls

From the Basic..

*ANTROPOMETRY = Measuring bone lenghts and deggres of motion..

Supination, Pronation, Distal and Proximal

*ERGONOMIC the study of a object in reference to the body, LIGHTING< Fresh Air, Noise Canceling, A, adaptability

*BIOMECHANICS, optimization of the energy expenditure (Aerobic Or Lactic redbull or DOPE)

*Force Multipliers (my Field) they are a million ways , even bar controls are for the most part wrong..
Experiment, about 30% power consumsion by index and trigger finger and the weak ones hold the bars

Most lever are bend so forward only the weak part of each finger is doing the efford > ARM PUMP

Attachments

• r-dubb kids and final drive 138.jpg
    r-dubb kids and final drive 138.jpg
    250.7 KB · Views: 1
I have a masters and a PHD on this fields and almost half a century of DOING the SHIT..

Vmax, kind of wrost case scenario but we can find some Improvements
The wrist has a very narrow range of side to side worst, about 15 degres inwards, 20 outwards, if the bars have the wrong bend, you are already wasting have the movement > forces the ELBOW
into a inefficient position > SHOULDER PAIN = Less efficient use of force...

You see is not so EASY, but they are ways to make it better...

Just don't be like THEM

https://patineto.smugmug.com/Motorcycles/n-DQLRX/How-can-you-trust-this-Dummass-Monkeys/

And this is how a Mutant rides the Ezberg Rodeo on a YAMAHA TENERE 700cc parallel twin

Buying the bike is Easy, growing the Balls is the Hard Part

Last edited:
@Patineto

I am glad you mentioned that you have a PHD because, to be honest, a lot of the stuff you write is like way over my head. Instead of using a scientific approach I just try different things until the bike fits me.

@Patineto

I am glad you mentioned that you have a PHD because, to be honest, a lot of the stuff you write is like way over my head. Instead of using a scientific approach I just try different things until the bike fits me.
I'm a firm believer or the Colloquial communication, to bring the cathedral of the "Secret Intelect" to the benefit of as many as posible

if you saw the video about the hand from my old menthor, just be glad i dont keep it to that level, because you head will fall from the pain..

but hey the human body is a incredible machine..

Simply from sales and feedback we find the superbike bar to be far more comfortable for the average rider. We used a protaper version for the gen 2's until they quit making them. A comparison (much better wrist angle in my opinion). I have had Carpul tunnel surgery on both hands (uncluding the release at the elbows) and trigger finger repairs on 6 of the 10 digits. The regular drag bars kill my wrists/shoulders while the SP bars are far better.

Attachments

• 137289243_862748871150053_6715248598071121728_n.jpg
    137289243_862748871150053_6715248598071121728_n.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 137588780_862748851150055_7920576975488909374_n.jpg
    137588780_862748851150055_7920576975488909374_n.jpg
    109.7 KB · Views: 0
Back