Exhaust options for my 85 Max?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shuriken

Reaction score
My 85 Max has exhaust woes. Cancer, rash, etc. What are my options?

I have a set of mufflers/collector unit from another year, as the exhaust opening is different. I don't want a more restrictive exhaust, so I might not use this muffler set, even though it's aesthetically better than the set I'm using now. I also have a spare set of front headers in slightly better condition than the ones I'm using, but not by much.

Current set has cancer on the bottom and has 2 small holes that appear to be on each of the rear header pipes. I could try patching them but they still look bad and the cancer will eventually win again.

After searching the forum, the buy/sell area, and BikeBandit, I came up with this:

BikeBandit - buy the 2 rear headers and front left head pipe for like $500 for 3 pipes.

Buy/sell area - buy a set from a different year

Ebay - buy item 130211382038 - somewhat rusty rear headers

Other - buy a complete aftermarket system

I really like the looks and sound of the OEM setup. What suggestions do you guys have? I know a bunch of you have gone aftermarket. What happened to your OEM systems?

Thanks

For almost the price of a replacement used stock system you could get an aftermarket system. Marks can design and make an exhaust system that will look like the stock system and will be lighter and last longer. I think you will have a hard time finding an OEM system off an 85 that is in good shape.

You do realize that the stock systems have small drain holes on each pipe??

A header can be the way to go too. I have a number of used stock systems but they are heavy and the shipping is expensive.

Sean Morley

Thanks for the replies.

I haven't heard of a Marks system. I'll have to search the forum for that....

Where are the drain holes approximately?

Sean, can you explain the OEM systems that you have, such as the year, condition, etc?

Well, I have a variety of years availabilty. I have head pipes from many different years which are all the same size wise and I even have a black set which is harder to find (from a 97). I have a black set of mufflers too. Very nice. Removed with less then 1000 miles on them.

I just took off a set from my 05 but since the bike was very lowered (and coming down from wheelies with me standing on the back pegs) it has some scuffs on the lead pipes. The mufflers are not perfect either though they aren't horrible (in my opinion).

I think I still have a very nice set from an 04 which had one little ding in them. I also may have an unblemished set of chrome mufflers too.

I have a 2006 in the shop right now that the owner is thinking of switching to aftermarket but would probably not be real cheap (after all they are almost new).

I will also probably be getting very soon a set from an 85 that are still in excellent shape (considering the age).

85 mufflers are actually larger baffled from the factory and were changed in 86 and later models. To compensate they enlarged the v-boost valve for the later years. So, thoertically the hot stock setup would be later v-boost valve with 85 mufflers.

I don't remember off the top of my head where the drain holes are. There is only one per pipe and pretty small (1/16th or so).

Sean Morley

oh, and by the way. I have plenty of good used rear pipes if that's all you need and would maybe even sell you the single side of front pipe you want. I also have a set from an 85 that were removed with less then a few hundred miles (if any miles actually) way back in 85. I had the mufflers but had loaned them to a friend that was killed last year and the bike was a complete loss.

I you were close to me, I would give you my stock exhaust. It is in decent shape, mufflers only though. I still have the stock headers.

Mike

I'll post pics of the exhaust system I have (still installed for now). Then you guys can help me decide what to do with it.

I like stock so far and want to probably stay that way until I get to know the Max and how it responds to various tunings. I do not want to jump right into different exhausts, jetting, etc. I always start from stock on bikes I have never owned or worked on before.

Welcome to the forum.

I gave my heappipes away and threw my mufflers away in an overzealous garage cleaning.

Go with an aftermarket exhaust, you'll never regret it.

They are all close on horsepower gain which isn't huge, maybe 10-12 hp, probably not that much:confused2:

They are all about 20 lbs lighter than the stock system which is a pretty big deal.

Rusty

I'm still DYING for a set of the UFO Quadzilla's...but I'm waiting for the factory and extended warranty to run out before I mod anything other than the work I had done to the engine from Shogun. (It was Yamaha approved.)

Regards,
Tom

Marks pipes............nuff said

Easier said than done...:bang head: I have been trying to get ahold of that guy for a month now. Phone, Email......nothing.

I am pretty close to going to Holeshot just on principal .......

but I really want a set of Marks pipes :hmmm:

I found out from Mario that HMF is just temporarily stopping production for the Vmax. They're busy working on systems for other bikes along with some other stuff.

Well, after a closer inspection of the exhaust, there really isn't any reason for me to post pictures. The holes are not meant to be there and the system is rusted along the bottom. I really don't want to mess with it as it is.

I did get a set of mufflers and front header pipes with the bike. I inspected the part numbers on the spare set and they have the same stamps as the mufflers that are on the bike now. The spare set of of headers and mufflers that I have are in a little better condition than what is on the bike, but there are 2 issues with the spare set:
1. someone drilled the rivets in the baffle plates and removed them
2. the spare set did not come with rear headers

So my questions to you guys are:
1. Can any of you sell me rear headers in better condition and/or for less price than ebay item 130211382038?
2. What is the performance and sound difference between the spare set I have (with the drilled baffle plates) and the set on the bike without drilled plates?

I will never be happy with a rashed or beat up exhaust, but if I put a new system on the bike, it will be the nicest thing on the bike and will make the rest of the bike look bad! There is also the cost issue, yet ebay item 280217592040 seems like a heck of a deal for a barely used setup.

So in addition to my 2 questions above, I'll add 2 more:
3. Should I just get the ebay rear headers and use my spare system with the drilled baffle plates?
4. Should I try to get the ebay set (or is it overpriced)?

Back