exhaust wrap

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sandy klock

Reaction score
Wondering if header wrap will be detrimential to my exhaust system life span? Cracking or deteriation. I run a kerker chrome 4/2/1. everything else stock.

i've wanted to do the black wrap to my stock headers, thought it would look cool...

sean i know said it CAN be b/c moisture can be trapped. not sure what it takes to ensure moisture doesn't get in there.. or if its just part of dealing w/it...

I heard from the guy that ceramic coated my exhaust (I know that he sees header wrap as a competitor so I took it with a grain of salt) that wrap can cause the exhaust to run too hot and burn the carbon out of the metal, causing the metal to get very brittle and break/flake apart. He also said that it will cause the exhaust to rust much faster. :ummm:

I have wrapped my rear down pipes on my Kerker 4-2-1 to decrease the heat near my nitrous solenoids mounted on front of the battery box.
The rear pipes looked like ass before I wrapped them and looked the same when it started falling off. I know wrapping them doesnt refinish the chrome qaulity LOL!

It won't make the header crack but with the moisture they can hold it can make the pipes rust out sooner.

Sean

It won't make the header crack but with the moisture they can hold it can make the pipes rust out sooner.

Sean

is there anyway to ensure u wrap it right, or is it just kinda luck?

is there anyway to ensure u wrap it right, or is it just kinda luck?

Wrap it right? Not sure there are different ways to wrap around a pipe? wrapped mine over laying half with each circle.
Be sure to get the specifically designed clamps and dont go cheap or your wrap will come on done or get loose.

Lankee is right, get the good stainless clamps. Pull the wrap tight (it's been awhile since I wrapped one but wanted to say to get them wet first to let it stretch). I also used the wrap specific paint to kind of "seal" the material to help prevent moisture from getting in past the outer layer.

Sean

Lankee is right, get the good stainless clamps. Pull the wrap tight (it's been awhile since I wrapped one but wanted to say to get them wet first to let it stretch). I also used the wrap specific paint to kind of "seal" the material to help prevent moisture from getting in past the outer layer.

Sean

Some wrap comes with a coating.. but if you get the white stuff you can spray it with VHT hitemp paint

I've had wrapped headers on my car for about 10 years without any problems. You need to get the parts extremely clean and then apply a high temp paint before wrapping them. I use grill paint from wal-mart. Then use a high quality wrap and soak it in water for a couple of min before wrapping. Keep the wrap as tight as you can and finish with stainless header ties. After waiting a few days to let it dry completely, I paint the entire wrap with high temp silicone header wrap paint, this stuff seals the wrap so you don't need to worry about moisture rusting the exhaust. Heres some pics of my wrapped holeshot system.

Attachments

• IMG_1326.JPG
    IMG_1326.JPG
    217.4 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_1329.JPG
    IMG_1329.JPG
    196.9 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_1332.JPG
    IMG_1332.JPG
    187.9 KB · Views: 32
Interesting. I've never liked the looks of wrapped exhaust on anything but a rat chop, but this actually looks quite good, as well as durable. Nice job!

It's not durable if you catch a bump. It all goes to shit quickly. I still do not recommend it on bikes but to each their own.

Sean

Back