factory paint

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tothemax93

Reaction score
Hi guys,
I have a 1993 vmax, My tank has a few pretty deep scratches, so I was considering new paint. Is the original color still avalible or do i have to match it as best as I can? I did some search, but the best I could do is get the color name. One guy said it was Electric blue. Another one said it was Dark voilet cocktail #1.:ummm:
Tim

Hi guys,
I have a 1993 vmax, My tank has a few pretty deep scratches, so I was considering new paint. Is the original color still avalible or do i have to match it as best as I can? I did some search, but the best I could do is get the color name. One guy said it was Electric blue. Another one said it was Dark voilet cocktail #1.:ummm:
Tim

You can get it matched with no problem. Nowadays the paint shops have a nice little electronic toy that "see's" the color of your paint then gives the code to match it. I had some touch up paint made up for my 55 Tbird to fill in some rock chips. The paint was semi faded, and they matched it perfectly.

These guys are the shit: http://www.colorrite.com/
The color your looking for is the dark violet cocktail #1
http://www.colorrite.com/product/yamaha-0370-dark-violet-cocktail-1-vdvc1-1870.cfm

I have had some experience with this. I use color rite. You choose your paint based on model and year. The color match was great right down to the fine metal flake. For the best results, make sure to use their primer and clear coat. Read and follow their instructions closely and you should have good results. The cost was about 75 bucks and a few hours work. Not bad for a 'rattle can' touch up. You can see my results here. (Click on the pics for a larger view.)
:punk:
Owen
Houston, Texas

I used there "brush in cap" paint that was suppose to be a match for the engine case. It was not a close match and I paid too much for it.

Thanks for the link KJShover, thats perfect:clapping:. Great job on the repair owen:punk:. So if I decide to do it myself, how many aroesal (sp) cans do I need. Will one or two do the bike (tank, fenders). I know there is a lot of variables, how many coats and such, but I would hate to run out. Also if I just buy the paint, is a 1/2 pint enough ?
Tim

OR, now is the time to do some custom painting or maybe even add a stripe to cover the chips/scratches depending on where they are at. We can repaint it stock or any color you like as well as custom work. Pics are on here in various places and prices and more pics are on my website. It can even be done on an exchange basis.

On a side note. I did get in on a trade set a pretty nice set of Yellow skins (not OEM paint) that I would trade for less then normal pricing if anyone is interested.

Sean

OR, now is the time to do some custom painting or maybe even add a stripe to cover the chips/scratches depending on where they are at. We can repaint it stock or any color you like as well as custom work. Pics are on here in various places and prices and more pics are on my website. It can even be done on an exchange basis.

On a side note. I did get in on a trade set a pretty nice set of Yellow skins (not OEM paint) that I would trade for less then normal pricing if anyone is interested.

Sean

Hey Sean, May I recommend you put links to all your services in your signature?

That way they follow you everywhere!

Chris

The website main link is in the sig. Maybe need to figure out how to add the link to the muscle thread section.
Sean

Okay, I tried the Colorrite site to match my 1989 Max's color (red), but it only gives Honda colors for 1989 street bikes. What now?

Thanks!

Elimax

I wonder if they stopped making paint that far back... Honestly, your paint is probably faded enough that it wouldn't match anyway. It's 21 year old paint. With even the best care, fading will happen.

Chris

Latest posts

Back