Fatmax Hard Saddlebags

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ViciousCycle

Reaction score
I've been using Fatmax Hardbags since Christmas of '05 from Fatmax.com. They really set the bike off, and come in real handy for keeping my rain gear, packing lunch to work, etc, and just look so much better than soft bags. Would not hesitate to buy from him again.:thumbs up:

I've been using Fatmax Hardbags since Christmas of '05 from Fatmax.com. They really set the bike off, and come in real handy for keeping my rain gear, packing lunch to work, etc, and just look so much better than soft bags. Would not hesitate to buy from him again.:thumbs up:

They really do look well made. How does it look when the bags aren't mounted? Is there an ugly mounting bracket or is the bracket easy to reomve also? Also some pictures please! :biglaugh:

They really do look well made. How does it look when the bags aren't mounted? Is there an ugly mounting bracket or is the bracket easy to reomve also? Also some pictures please! :biglaugh:

Yeah Yeah...

:ttiwwp:

:rofl_200:

Well maybe not worthless... It was the blinker location that scared me after seeing pics of the lolly pops sticking up between the bags and the bike in the sales lit...

Pictures as requested. My bags are the older style and are removable, but leave me with no turn signals. Bags come off pretty easily, they are held to the bracket by a couple of thumbscrews, and wires use a slip-on connector. Brackets look okay without the bags, but I never ride without the bags anyway. That's where I keep my rain gear! In Louisiana, it can rain just about any given day.
If I lived somewhere drier, I might prefer the newer style so I could still have turn signals with the bags off. I would replace the stock rear signals with something smaller but brighter.

Attachments

• resized mx.JPG
    resized mx.JPG
    111.1 KB · Views: 354
  • resized max2.JPG
    resized max2.JPG
    86.7 KB · Views: 317
  • resized max3.JPG
    resized max3.JPG
    95 KB · Views: 321
Sharp! Okay, question...I'm sure Kloker will ask so I'll get it out of the way. How many beers can you hold?

Mark

That looks really nice! :thumbs up: I prefer the look of the integrated turn signals than the repositioned stock ones.

Those look really good, they look like part of the bike and not just something that was added later, you should put some flames on them to match your tank......one more question, can you carry a passenger with those on???

I posted a thread on a question for ya.....sorry all I was in the vbgarage snooping around when I seen the pics. Well since I'm here. Do they make them smaller size. I like them but they're just too big for what I want them for. I don't plan on picking up that much beer.:confused2:

Sorry to be so long in responding, but I've been in frickin' Japan since the 20th. Just got internet access tonight.

I posted a thread on a question for ya.....sorry all I was in the vbgarage snooping around when I seen the pics. Well since I'm here. Do they make them smaller size. I like them but they're just too big for what I want them for. I don't plan on picking up that much beer.:confused2:

No, I'm afraid its one size fits all. But you might give Roger at Fatmax a call, he might can do something.

Yes, you can absolutely carry a passenger. My wife says she feels a little more secure with the bags next to her. False sense of security, but, hey, whatever works. She still won't ride out of the neighborhood with me.

Beer. Hmmm. I mostly ride to and from work. Job hasn't gotten that bad yet. I'd guess one intact sixpack per bag. Loose? Probably 2/3 of a case per bag. Then you'll need ice, and a drain plug.

And before somebody asks, yes I've seen two VMaxs here in Japan. No, I don't speak the language. And most of the bikes here are 250cc. Even saw a NSR250 in a shop here. Hey this is myh thread, I'll hijack it if I want to.

Hi ViciousCycle,

I'm interested in the hard bags from FatMax. But I'm not sure as to how well the mounts hold the bags: they look a bit flimsy. What are your thoughts on this? Are the cases firmly held in place and don't bounce around or slap against the frame/rattle?

Hi ViciousCycle,

I'm interested in the hard bags from FatMax. But I'm not sure as to how well the mounts hold the bags: they look a bit flimsy. What are your thoughts on this? Are the cases firmly held in place and don't bounce around or slap against the frame/rattle?

heya

I also have a pair of black FatMax hard bags on my V-Max. I much prefer them to any kind of soft bag. They're properly waterproof, and open and close securely in seconds with the nice locking catch.
As far as the brackets are concerned, they are very solid indeed, and the bags are held firmly in place. The bags are pretty easy to remove, and the brackets are removable too, although they are bolted on so require tools.

I have purchased my set of hard bags from fatmax last season and put over 3k miles on with them. Cannot imagine that he put more than one layer of clear coat on as any scuff went right down to the paint. Ended up rhino lining them instead of repainting. The retaining hinge when they are open is a small cable which is clamped on, ended up slipping out on mine. The locks are the small suitcase kind and ended up seizing up towards the end of the season. Nothing a little lube didn't fix. I had no problems/complaints from any of the passengers that rode. However they are probably the culprit on the scratches. Still think it is the best hard bag I have seen, for the price. I would have just put a couple of more coats of clear coat on the bags prior to installation (especially tops). They are very easy to get on and off but the brackets are not. The brakets look a little unseemly when the bags are off but it is nice to have them off when you want to push the bike.They are water tight and are secured well, though they do cause a wobble over 110. The inner bags he sells also come highly recommend as they give you a great way to pack without having the bike right there and then unpack after a trip.

Good info, Would like some of these but $700 just a little
to much for me to swallow now.
Welcome to the site.
Chris

I have purchased my set of hard bags from fatmax last season and put over 3k miles on with them. Cannot imagine that he put more than one layer of clear coat on as any scuff went right down to the paint. Ended up rhino lining them instead of repainting. The retaining hinge when they are open is a small cable which is clamped on, ended up slipping out on mine. The locks are the small suitcase kind and ended up seizing up towards the end of the season. Nothing a little lube didn't fix. I had no problems/complaints from any of the passengers that rode. However they are probably the culprit on the scratches. Still think it is the best hard bag I have seen, for the price. I would have just put a couple of more coats of clear coat on the bags prior to installation (especially tops). They are very easy to get on and off but the brackets are not. The brakets look a little unseemly when the bags are off but it is nice to have them off when you want to push the bike.They are water tight and are secured well, though they do cause a wobble over 110. The inner bags he sells also come highly recommend as they give you a great way to pack without having the bike right there and then unpack after a trip.

Guess I should update the fatmax saga, after a small run in with deer and I found myself getting a second set of bag for last season from rumblethump (straight shooter and great guy to deal with by the by) wish I knew half what he knows about speed. Anyway, clear coat on bags gave me issues again, ended up rhino lining just the tops and liked that look much better. Also had to replace one of the retain wires (keeps it from falling off hinge when open). As per someones question, it will work with both the factory backrest and rack. Someone mentioned not liking the turn signal placement, should have listened. A retread came off last sept and got caught up under license plate / turn signals. Ended up ripping the whole thing off. Thankfully I just slid around interstate a bit and other than loosing turn signals and license plate, no harm was done. Made for an interesting conversation with the trooper going home. On with the facts, Rumble previously had been putting "weight" in bags and had drilled out brackets and put bigger bolts to mount bags. This beefing up was just the ticket to give the bags the study attached feeling they lacked before. :punk: I love the quickness they will remove for some peg draggin fun!

Naughty G still has a set of these for sale. they could use a paint job to me thats no big deal because I would want them painted to match my bike & I paint to. I have them at my house if any one wants pictures.

Back