First post and it's about this! Dreaded starter clutch slips!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maxnewby

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yep the Achilles heel like the dreaded C clip on a DR650! Started sounding not so good and then started slipping SO tear into it, but it looks good and works great with hand pressure' I've read it all on here and? But any comment helps so any wisdom here? The sprag is supposedly a HD one but not OEM I gather. Do you think I can get away with just a new clutch, how about the fly wheel? Machine it, sand it or just roll with it! Thank you in advance for any comments or suggestions. BTW what is the cost for the sites super duper clutch??IMG_4267.jpg

Last edited:
Does the OEM clutch from say Babbitt's have a part # on it? No pics I find show any! first pic is of the hi $ next two are of one offered by a parts co that sells Taiwan made crank shaft Kits and drive axle's etc. Claims to be well tempered which is the problem IMO. 1/3 rd the cost of oem and includes case gasket and bolts.. The OEM has three holes between mount holes cheapy only two, both have the pins to roller spring set up.

Attachments

• MTA1OTM0MTI-80991388.jpg
    MTA1OTM0MTI-80991388.jpg
    122.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 41EgbDWhbhL.jpg
    41EgbDWhbhL.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 31rBDX2K4SL.jpg
    31rBDX2K4SL.jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 0
Sorry. I am one of the 90 views.

I have rebuilt a few starter clutches, ....and in fact I am doing on two of my bikes this winter....but I have never done it on my Vmax.

I think the holes between the mounting holes are for oil flow. I imagine either one is OK (2 or 3 holes).

You already bought the new one on top, and it is different than the original OEM?

The ebay "heavy duty" has a sporatic success rate (most find them junk). Bolts need to be very tight. The nose of the gear needs to be very smooth with minimal to no flat spots (many people replace the clutch but not the ring gear). I do offer a permanent solution that uses Yamaha's latest design but it's not cheap with the parts and machining.

HD Starter Clutch Flywheel.jpg

Thanks all for the replies. The last one on the gear is the one i just purchased from the tempered parts co. It looks like the oem but with just the two holes. The first one shown with the six drive lugs is what i found when i opened the case. My problem started after filling the max with the best gas Buckee's offered, on the fourth start, on the fifth start it slipped but started. Shut down and take apart to this point. Smooth nose on gear and the six lug works great by hand. Like said it likes reg gas as it doesn't start as snappy with the best. YES I WAS WARNED!!

Last edited:
Sorry. I am one of the 90 views.

I have rebuilt a few starter clutches, ....and in fact I am doing on two of my bikes this winter....but I have never done it on my Vmax.

I think the holes between the mounting holes are for oil flow. I imagine either one is OK (2 or 3 holes).

You already bought the new one on top, and it is different than the original OEM? That one was what i found when I opened her up, installed one looked like OEM but with 2 oil holes.

Back