first time at the track

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daves86vmax

Reaction score
finally made it up to national trails raceway to run the bike,really need to work on my r/t but overall it went ok..my first pass i had an r/t of .526 and crossed the line at 12.505 and 112.27 mph. the second pass i was at .515 and finished at 12.3 and 112.99 mph.the second pass being my better of the two had me at 2.26 @60ft,8.024 @ 1/8th mile and 93.43 mph,and 1000ft was 10.326.im not sure how these numbers add up but thats what they were.my 86 max is basically stock except for the kerker 4 into 2 pipes and the C.O.P.s' i recently put on it and a K&N air filter.my a/f mixture screws are still at the factory settings since the plugs have never been removed.theres only one more track day this year that i prob wont make it up to but i plan on more trips next year.heres a couple vids i shot on my passes.the first pass i was in the left lane then the right lane on my second.as far as any other bikes up there,they were almost all busas except for the katana 750 i was running with.the guy that was up at the line when i lined up liked the vmax alot(if you listen in the vid of my first pass he says "nice,very nice",i dont think he sees many maxes up there http://youtu.be/SobHo9Js-88 and heres the second pass http://youtu.be/i7dgeZeVwSE my girlfriend shot a vid from the stands but i havent been able to download it yet,i'll get it on here when i do

sweet... looks like a fun day!!!

peace,
evan....

Nice run Dave! I don't run at the strip, so I have no clue about increasing your times, but it does sound like your bike boggs a little off the line..

I didn't so much bog on me I just didn't have the rpm's up high enough when I took off .I was a bit overcautious I'm sure,I didn't want to dump it.what rpm's should I be launching at?I'm sure all that info is here somewhere if I look for it..I basically took off from the line just a bit harder than when at a traffic light.lol...so I'm sure if I learn how to launch I'll improve my numbers quite a bit.

I didn't so much bog on me I just didn't have the rpm's up high enough when I took off .I was a bit overcautious I'm sure,I didn't want to dump it.what rpm's should I be launching at?I'm sure all that info is here somewhere if I look for it..I basically took off from the line just a bit harder than when at a traffic light.lol...so I'm sure if I learn how to launch I'll improve my numbers quite a bit.

At what rpm did you launch ? Looked to be too low. Suggest reving to 2500 rpm and raise it until the front end comes up too much. Would also suggest a Morley Muscle Jet kit or Stage 7 kit to get your mph & attention up a bit and your times down.

Last edited:
sounds fun. I don't know the first thing about racing, but I'm thinking I may try it out.

If you decide to take it to the strip be sure u have good protective gloves,boots that go above your ankles,a leather jacket(unless u go 120+ mph then u need full leathers,and a snell rated helmet that isn't out of date(I had to get a loaner helmet)..I'll be better prepared next season

There was a thread here about racing the vmax. It had tips for strapping down the front end, tire pressures, launching techniques and other goodies. I'm not sure how to post it if I find it, but I will look.

How much do you weigh? I launch mine at roughly 6000rpm but I'm a big guy... what elevation are you at? The way I launch mine is as soon as both prestage & staged lights are on I bring the rpm's up to about 6000 and hold it there, on the last yellow I start letting the clutch out... when you feel it grabbing and the bike start moving I go wide open on the throttle and continue to slip the clutch to stay out of the bog. Takes some practice but once you get the hang of it it's not too bad, also you want to have a good forward position to keep your tits on the tank so to speak cause wheelies hurt your time, you want to feel the front tire just barely skipping down the pavement in 1'st gear, anything more and your in a wheelie, anything less and your not coming out hard enough... Also, when your due for new tires I recommend the Shinko's cause they are sticky & cheap! I have some video's in my thread about racing my 94 but I'll try to post one here too cause you get alot better idea when you see someone do it...

Sent from my HTC Thunderbolt using tapatalk

Latest posts

Back