fixing the speed wobble

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vmax626

Reaction score
I was just wondering if anybody out there has a problem with the infamous
speed wobble at right around 90 to 100 mph. ?
I heard something about replacing the rubber washer in the tree with a steel one .
I have no idea where to get one at and does anybody know if it really works or what does. I had an embarrasing moment with a kawi. 750 ninja because I almost lost control and had to back off the throttle.:real mad:
it was a friend of a friend and he thought that it gave him bragging rights to say that the vmax ain`t shit> this made me double pissed so, I need some help here so I can put that bastard in his place in front of his buddies
(my former neighbors) :band: :banana:

From what I have read the only REAL fix for any speed wobble is to check your steering head bearings. First make sure that they are tight and Second make sure that they are not wore out. It seems to me that the Furbur fix or steel washer fix is only as said by some just a band-aid to cover wore out bearings or bearing going out. Just my .03 cents.

Also go to the search section and search from your questions. Its a pretty hot topic with many treads, so go search it out!!!

I heard something about replacing the rubber washer in the tree with a steel one .
I have no idea where to get one at and does anybody know if it really works or what does. I had an embarrasing moment with a kawi. 750 ninja because I almost lost control and had to back off the throttle.:real mad:
it was a friend of a friend and he thought that it gave him bragging rights to say that the vmax ain`t shit> this made me double pissed so, I need some help here so I can put that bastard in his place in front of his buddies

IMO the Furber washer isn't the magic bullet, there are a few other possibilities....steering head bearings, swingarm bearings, wheel bearings and tires are all potential contributors.
There is tons of info on this forum regarding this, start running some searches, see what works for you.
Good luck, the problem can be illusive.

I have owned my 85" Vmax for two years now with about 30K miles in it and it also had the same high speed shake/wobbles you mention. I also can't be sure if the original owner ever serviced the steering bearings, given the steering was very stiff when I got it.

I figure since the Vmax "steering head" OEM design was good when it was new, the fix should be replacing the upper and lower steering bearings, races and rubber washers as a set and torque the nuts per the manual.

I've been riding the OEM steering head rebuild for about 1 year now and I have to say I'm really impressed with how easy the steering is now after the service. I no longer have the low or high speed wobble or shakes due to hardware issues. I've had it up to 130 Mph many times since the service last year without any issues.

If your bike is newer, then you might just need to check the torque on the steering head nut and set it per the manual.

If your bike has over 16K (bearing service time anyway) on it then you should benefit from a bearing service. Remove the existing steering bearings, clean and re-grease them to get back to like new operation. Don't forget to torque the nut per the manual.

FWIW,

Bdk2272-5125
Houston
85' Vmax

IMO the Furber washer isn't the magic bullet, there are a few other possibilities....steering head bearings, swingarm bearings, wheel bearings and tires are all potential contributors.
There is tons of info on this forum regarding this, start running some searches, see what works for you.
Good luck, the problem can be illusive.
The wheels are solid it`s definitly comming from the front. Have to check the steering head bearings I guess `cause when it happens it`s the front end that wants to get away from me.

I really wana thank all yous guys for all the information,direction and help with everything. Although I am mechanically inclined many of you have had your max`s alot longer than I have. I really like this site and all it has to offer so I think I`ll hang out here awhile.:worthy::punk:

626, forget the manual torque spec...there are too many variables to set an absolute value....do the 'fall off center' or 'bounce' method of adjusting. Put your bike on the center stand, prop the front so it's off the floor and free turning, then turn your bars to the point where the front swings by itself and let it bounce off the stops. Chances are, if the issue is the front bearings, it will bang off the stops and bounce a few times. Too loose! Tighten down the crown nuts till the front swings and just touches the stops, with very little, if any, bounce. Both left & right swing.
If you get it too tight the bike will weave and you won't be able to hold a straight line.....too loose and it'll wobble.

I have owned my 85" Vmax for two years now with about 30K miles in it and it also had the same high speed shake/wobbles you mention. I also can't be sure if the original owner ever serviced the steering bearings, given the steering was very stiff when I got it.

I figure since the Vmax "steering head" OEM design was good when it was new, the fix should be replacing the upper and lower steering bearings, races and rubber washers as a set and torque the nuts per the manual.

I've been riding the OEM steering head rebuild for about 1 year now and I have to say I'm really impressed with how easy the steering is now after the service. I no longer have the low or high speed wobble or shakes due to hardware issues. I've had it up to 130 Mph many times since the service last year without any issues.

If your bike is newer, then you might just need to check the torque on the steering head nut and set it per the manual.

If your bike has over 16K (bearing service time anyway) on it then you should benefit from a bearing service. Remove the existing steering bearings, clean and re-grease them to get back to like new operation. Don't forget to torque the nut per the manual.

FWIW,

Bdk2272-5125
Houston
85' Vmax
I read somewhere that this problem was a design flaw (putting in that rubber washer)in the steering head but, since I`m not riding it much (weather`s bad) guess I`ll pull the front end apart and see.

626, forget the manual torque spec...there are too many variables to set an absolute value....do the 'fall off center' or 'bounce' method of adjusting. Put your bike on the center stand, prop the front so it's off the floor and free turning, then turn your bars to the point where the front swings by itself and let it bounce off the stops. Chances are, if the issue is the front bearings, it will bang off the stops and bounce a few times. Too loose! Tighten down the crown nuts till the front swings and just touches the stops, with very little, if any, bounce. Both left & right swing.
If you get it too tight the bike will weave and you won't be able to hold a straight line.....too loose and it'll wobble.
thanx I did that a long time ago with my Honda.How could I forget thank you for reminding me I probably would have been stuped and pissed. I`ll do it tomorrow but I think 18,000 miles is a good time to replace bearings too and, I sure would like to get ahold of that washer and just do the whole 9 yards on it.
Morley where are you??? LoL:blink000::pullhair:

Some find the V-Boost exciting, but I love when my VMAX wobbles and flexes at speeds over 135

Excuse me for asking this but: How can you find Losing your ass an your beloved vmax at high speed ????

JUst the thought sends pain down my spine and makes me wanna cry. LOL:surprise::tantrum:

Excuse me for asking this but: How can you find Losing your ass an your beloved vmax at high speed ????

JUst the thought sends pain down my spine and makes me wanna cry. LOL:surprise::tantrum:
A search for the "furbur fix" should get you what you need. Other key word searches might include "steering head" "front end" "high speed wobble".

A search for the "furbur fix" should get you what you need. Other key word searches might include "steering head" "front end" "high speed wobble".

I have their site stored in my computer bu as long as I`m going to play eith the front end , Imight as well check out those bearings too.

Does anybodt know where to get that washer???

<<< Dave >>>

you can make that washer yourself - i did. I just got one that was close to the required spec from Ace Hardware, and used a small round file to make it fit (inside hole was a bit too tight). All it did was move the death wobble from around 105 mph to about 125 mph, and that was only SCARIER!

So I tore the steering head up, and sure enough, the bearings were totally shot. When I put the new bearings in (there's info on how to do it all in here), I started a poll on whether every1 thought I should use the rubber or the metal 'furbur' washer. Most peeps voted to stay with the OEM rubber.

IMHO, there's no design fault, and the rubber washer does nothing wrong. The problem is very simple: you have a very heavy bike, and over time, with all that hard acceleration and harder breaking, the steering head bearings wear faster than on other bikes, resulting in the high speed death wobble.

So the answer is, put fresh bearings in there, and when it gets a little wobbly again, tighten the bottom castle nut and use the 'fall' method to check you're tight enough but not too tight. Get a lard arse on the pillion seat so that the front wheel's in the air, let the bars fall to one side, if they bounce off the stop it's too loose. If they don't fall with just a gentle nudge it's too tight.

That's pretty much it and it worked great on my '86 with 37k miles.

my 2006 did it when it was new. I keep telling the dealer and they did nothing. I did the furbur washer along with the adjustment and it was much much beter. I hit 100 mph almost everytime I go for a decent ride lol. I got the washer from a Vmax place I found on the internet blue mountain? I will look for you. It fit perfectly. good luck

Ifound some from Framset and they are only $5.00 including shipping but I think it`s time to check those bearings too. It`s suppossed to rain again tomorrow:bang head: so if I have time I`ll look into it.

My opinion is that the high speed wobble is caused mainly from frame flex. Put in a set of solid motor mounts and it should help out.

Steering head shake usually is noticeable at 40 mph or with light grip on handle bars. Crossing RR tracks etc.

My sugestion is:

1. Adjust steering head properly / replace bearings if necessary.

2. Adjust swing arm bearings properly / replace if necessary.

3. Install solid motor mounts.

4. Check all frame bolts and engine mount bolts for tightnes.

5. Alway expect the unexpected when giong into the triple digits as the chasis on the 1st gen Vmax was never up to the power the engine produced.

I didnt say anything about losing my ass on a high speed run but there is always that risk each time that needle climbs past 135... which makes it exciting.. I guess its like Skydivers wondering if there shute is going to open as the go through the air towards the ground at 150MPH.. Or the Bull fighter wondering if he will get out of the way quick enough.... Or racecar driving wondering if he will be able to finish the race in one piece... or the person riding the rollercoaster who wonders what would happen if it was derailed as its in the loop?....
Thats the point its always exciting when your ass puckers up from a lil fear mixed in with adrenaline.. in my mind anyways.

Back