flatslide carbs with velocity stacks

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flatslide

Reaction score
Group,
I'm in the process of purchasing a VMAX with this set up. 4" velocity stacks are in use right now. I expect that I'll need to change them, they're real awkward with a riders knees.

One of the frequent contributors to this forum has modified 4" stacks with a 45 degree twist, to offer more knee room. For sure, that's a help. I'd like to know what steps those of you running flatslide carbs and vstacks have taken. Im willing to switch to 15mm or 30mm stack, re tune . I have been told that lower and mid rev response may suffer. I will not be riding this bike for 1/4 mile runs. My hopes are centered on this one as a street bike.

Thanks for reading / writing. I've popped my posting cherry with this one. There'll be more.....................

Group,
I'm in the process of purchasing a VMAX with this set up. 4" velocity stacks are in use right now. I expect that I'll need to change them, they're real awkward with a riders knees.

One of the frequent contributors to this forum has modified 4" stacks with a 45 degree twist, to offer more knee room. For sure, that's a help. I'd like to know what steps those of you running flatslide carbs and vstacks have taken. Im willing to switch to 15mm or 30mm stack, re tune . I have been told that lower and mid rev response may suffer. I will not be riding this bike for 1/4 mile runs. My hopes are centered on this one as a street bike.

Thanks for reading / writing. I've popped my posting cherry with this one. There'll be more.....................

I tried shorter stacks & they are still in the way.
Vgas has some other issues that I don't like.
My advise is to learn to love them, or call PCW.
Good Luck with your new bike.

LOL, "learn to love them"!!

By the way Al, about the pic I sent you earlier. Those carbs were taken off by me for a friend that hated them. He only made 125 rwhp with them on and correct A/F ratio. He ended up putting the stock carbs back on with my jet kit (one of the very early kits we did years ago) and said he wasn't going back.

He got tired of smelling like gas when he got where he was going, fouling plugs with it being harder to start, crappy fuel mileage and also his knees were suffering. Not only that but top speed was about 120mph. After that the air flowing over the carbs pulled the fuel out of it (venturi effect) and he couldn't accelerate anymore.

We only put them on the custom bike because they do look as cool as you can get. For a street bike the stock carbs are the way to go. Not only that but you can ask a third party like PCW. We outperformed a 1428 Vgas equipped engine with a 1428 Stock carb engine with our jet kit. Both engines built by them, at the same time, and the same setup. Jim currently has that 1428 engine in his Toxic bike (though he is/has converting to EFI).

Sean

Latest posts

Back