Fork disassembly problem

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bazwell

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm following Sean's video on how to pull apart my forks.
I have an '85, and I can't budge the fittings where the air goes in. I've tried slding the forks down and bashing them on the lower triple clamp - no luck.

Is there something I'm missing? The manuals I have say "pull them off", thats it.

I had enough, so I've just dosed them with CRC and left them now.

Also, Seam said about an inch of preload. My spacers stick up 32.5mm, and the cap is 23mm, which makes 55.5, so over 2" of preload. Does that happen when they get old???

AND... how the hell do I get the centre stand spring back on? :damn angry:

I have an 85 also I just change the seals in, I took a dull chisel and a 32 oz hammer to knock the fitting you are referring to loose. You have to move it up, there is a wire C-clip under the bottom of the air inlet mechanism which won't allow you to use the tripple tree to bash with.

Hi,

I'm following Sean's video on how to pull apart my forks.
I have an '85, and I can't budge the fittings where the air goes in. I've tried slding the forks down and bashing them on the lower triple clamp - no luck.

Is there something I'm missing? The manuals I have say "pull them off", thats it.

I had enough, so I've just dosed them with CRC and left them now.

Also, Seam said about an inch of preload. My spacers stick up 32.5mm, and the cap is 23mm, which makes 55.5, so over 2" of preload. Does that happen when they get old???

Last edited:
I just soaked it with silicon lubricant and hit them with a rubber mallet.

Cheers Alorio and Schicks.

I've given them a drink of CRC, so I will try a bit of persuasion with the hitting stick later.

Especially thanks for the info on the C-clip.

It also helps if you try and twist it a bit. Just be careful not to bend the hose

Bonza. I used a chisel and hammer, and once it moved a bit it was easy. :)

imo this is a terrible set up from the dark ages,ide much rather have an air valve on each fork,without the hoky cross pipe !!! just my tcw

imo this is a terrible set up from the dark ages,ide much rather have an air valve on each fork,without the hoky cross pipe !!! just my tcw
Most don't run any air in their forks, they take very little, and add with the weight off the forks. Not like a guy (I have a friend) that blew his seals out putting air in them. This guy was a mechanic almost all his life too, and didn't bother to read directions. No excuse
Steve-o

Hi,

Put the bike on the side stand and take the pivot bolts out from the centre stand then connect the spring to the stand and frame (via the link).

Swing the stand up in to the pivot bolt lugs and with a bit of pulling and some swearing you will be able to get one of the bolts back in quite easily.
The second bolt is a bit more fiddly so a string of expletive are usually required but with some more wiggling it will go in.

Don't forget to grease the bolt pivot points.

Latest posts

Back