Fork upgrade

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tcflint

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I have an '89 and was wondering if it's worthwhile upgrading to newer forks like a '96.

Is there any change in them from say '96 into the 2003?

I don't want to spend $2K for a custom USD set but if upgrading to a newer stock set is a waste of money I would rather save those dollars to get to something nicer.

Thanks

:punk: tcflint, not much difference in the front ends. Buy a Full Exhaust System ands Jet kit. It will be way more fun than changing the front end and you will notice more improvement. Good Luck, Spurs

It does look chunkier and must be a bit more rigid (or Yam wouldn't have made the change) but it's hard to notice a difference.
Like Spurs said, an exhaust and jet kit is prolly more worthwhile an upgrade, and if you want to improve your front end start with better springs (Progressive as an example) and/or Ricor Intimators - they are truly amazing in my experience!

I have both and both have been upgraded with springs, emulators and so on. I can't tell any difference between the two..

Thanks for the input so far. I do have the exhaust and jets done already :biglaugh:

Like NaughtyG said Yamaha changed it for a reason. As most of their equipment goes being a motorcyle, ATV or whatever when they get a good design it runs for YEARS before a change.

Back