forks bouncy

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alan97max

Reaction score
Little help here,, I recently replaced my fork seals followed seans video
all went well, replaced with 15w oil stock springs, and now that I got to ride it, it feels like a bouncing pogo stick.. or if you were riding a hardtail
( no shocks) with solid rubber tire's. Any suggestions would be great..
My max is a 97.:hippy biker: it feels like his head looks bouncin

Little help here,, I recently replaced my fork seals followed seans video
all went well, replaced with 15w oil stock springs, and now that I got to ride it, it feels like a bouncing pogo stick.. or if you were riding a hardtail
( no shocks) with solid rubber tire's. Any suggestions would be great..
My max is a 97.:hippy biker: it feels like his head looks bouncin

Not sure why this would show up after seals and fork oil change but installing Progressive springs will make a world of difference.

Did you put the right amount of oil in the forks?
Oil leve is to be measured without the spring installed. The slider should be down inside the leg as far as possible. Measure the acutal fluid height, don't rely on measuring the oil in a cup, you have no way of knowing if there is residual oil in there.

Are you running any air in the forks?

Other than that, as long as its assembled correctly I can't see anything that would cause the issue.

did you put the right amount of oil in the forks?
Oil leve is to be measured without the spring installed. The slider should be down inside the leg as far as possible. Measure the acutal fluid height, don't rely on measuring the oil in a cup, you have no way of knowing if there is residual oil in there.

Are you running any air in the forks?

Other than that, as long as its assembled correctly i can't see anything that would cause the issue.

^^^^^this^^^^^

for some reason did you trim the spacer even though you weren't lowering them? that would sure cause it to be bouncy too.

no air, measured oil per seans video, actually did it twice to make sure , filled with oil without the springs in. did not alter or change any of the stock
parts only replaced the seal and dust cover. maybe they were so bad before it seems odd now?? maybe I should look into springs. what is the best option. I weigh in at 190lbs.. Thanks

no air, measured oil per seans video, actually did it twice to make sure , filled with oil without the springs in. did not alter or change any of the stock
parts only replaced the seal and dust cover. maybe they were so bad before it seems odd now?? maybe I should look into springs. what is the best option. I weigh in at 190lbs.. Thanks

Progressive springs for sure and gold valve emulators if you want. I think Sean sells these.

before you go ordering new springs i'd make sure the old ones are shot i'd hate to see you spend the $100 on a spring kit to find out there is another issue.

Yes, look for something else to be wrong but replacing the springs will make a world of difference if all is well other wise. Stock springs do Suck...

Sean carries all the parts you could want. He built a set that I'm using, Race Tech Springs, Gold Emulators and BG Fluid.. They work great....

Stock spring rate is for a 140# rider. How much did peewee gleason weigh? Race tech springs .90 or .95 rate should be about right for you. I went with Amsoil 10 weight and .95 springs and was very happy with the results. VMOA has a nice discount with RaceTech.

Stock spring rate is for a 140# rider. How much did peewee gleason weigh? Race tech springs .90 or .95 rate should be about right for you. I went with Amsoil 10 weight and .95 springs and was very happy with the results. VMOA has a nice discount with RaceTech.

+1 on Racetech . They listen to what you ride , how you ride and how much you and the bike weigh and then recommend a solution. At 210 lbs , I improved my '90 with their .95 springs and gold emulators a lot . I wouldn't go any stiffer . I also went with 17 " Radial Michelin Pilot Power and polished Lightcon wheels to round out the equation . It's not sportbike handling , but you can manage the curves and brakes without scaring the crap out of yourself.

I tried a few things today, found that adding 5-7 psi of air made it ride the best. at no air it felt springy. go figure. at 70mph + it rides better and smooth, at 30 to 40 mph still feel a little bounce, safe to say I like smooth at higher speed. I am going to save for new springs now though. front runners seem to be racetech or get with sean. Thanks to all..

Sounds like stock springs to me... Mine was a pogo stick from the factory. Race-Techs and Emulators make it as solid as a rock now.

Chris

What is the P/N for the progressive springs on a 93? I'm new to the site, and unfortunately ordered from MAW. I ordered 11-1145 by mistake (meant to order 11-1144). They sent me 11-1127. Also, it did not come with anything other than the two springs and paperwork. Before I call them to swap, is 11-1144 correct and should they come with a washer or spacer or anything else? I'm light at 135 lbs but I haven't heard anyone order a particular spring based on weight. I assume one tweaks the ride by oil weight. Thanks, great site by the way! I joined the VMOA several years ago but am just getting back into riding after several years.

11-1144. Not sure what the 11-1127 fits (but the progressive site may say). Says reuse stock spacer. The lowering kit comes with extra springs to lower it 1" or 2" and comes with new plastic spacers or you can cut down the stock spacers as needed.

Sean

Ok, I just did the Progressive springs lowering kit,10W fork oil, 9lbs psi, replaced wheel bearings, and front Tire(Shinko). From 80-90 mph front tire looked like I was going over rumble strips, and felt scarry as hell. Once past 90-130 mph it was controlable but still bouncy. Any ideas? I live in Texas so I am at a constant cruise speed of 80-85, the 90-130 is when I ride with the police in the area.
FYI: When you ride with them you dont get tickets only when you ride past them.

Ok, I just did the Progressive springs lowering kit,10W fork oil, 9lbs psi, replaced wheel bearings, and front Tire(Shinko). From 80-90 mph front tire looked like I was going over rumble strips, and felt scarry as hell. Once past 90-130 mph it was controlable but still bouncy. Any ideas? I live in Texas so I am at a constant cruise speed of 80-85, the 90-130 is when I ride with the police in the area.
FYI: When you ride with them you dont get tickets only when you ride past them.

You don't run air with progressives.....let it out. Also, most run 15W oil.

Is the front tire balanced? Sometimes Shinko's can be pretty far out of whack.

Not sure why this would show up after seals and fork oil change but installing Progressive springs will make a world of difference.

Sounds like not enough oil and too much air volume.....

The initial springiness is the air volume compressing.

Latest posts

Back