Front wobble

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dan Lee

Reaction score
I just recently purchased my 05 Vmax, I noticed there is a front wobble around 60 mph, especially if I take my left hand off for a second. I was looking at the date code on the tires, they are the original tires, I went ahead and ordered a new set. We will see if that fixes the problem.
Would the forks being converted from air to spring cause this maybe?
Previous owner told me the owner before him changed it over to spring, verses air

Thanks

You are right to change the tyres as they are probably long past their best.
To state the bleedin' obvious, to find the cause you need to do some diagnosis.

Start with the basics, i.e. headstock and wheel bearing don't have any slack or rough spots.
You will need to raise the front off the ground by ether having a suitably weighted friend to sit on the pillion or by jacking up the front.

Assuming the bearings are OK then the check for wheel/ tyre run out.
If your wobble is a side to side oscillation then look for axial run out, if it is up and down then check for radial run out.
You don't need anything sophisticated, a fixed reference point (e.g. an axle stand) and spin the wheel and look for up and down or side to side movement relative to the fixed point.

Do the check before you replace the tyre so you can establish the culprit.

I just recently purchased my 05 Vmax, I noticed there is a front wobble around 60 mph, especially if I take my left hand off for a second. I was looking at the date code on the tires, they are the original tires, I went ahead and ordered a new set. We will see if that fixes the problem.
Would the forks being converted from air to spring cause this maybe?
Previous owner told me the owner before him changed it over to spring, verses air

Thanks
I adjust my fork bearings at the beginning of every riding season on my 05. Morley has a great film on how to do it,,you will need a special wrench and you can buy one from Morley or on ebay. To do it right give yourself an hour and do it carefully and torque where called for. I however never messed with my front end, leaving it all stock,,so you may have a problem there also. Get a battery tender and install on your 05 and when not in use plug it in. Walmart has the Batter Tender Jr. at a real fair price.

Had new tires put on and balanced, took it out for an aggressive drive, no wobble whats so ever...Thanks
And if as your new tires wear in a bit, and then the bike wobbles with hands off the bars, do as was stated above and adjust the steering bearings.

Lots of guys/bikes get this phenomenon and all you need to do is take up some slack in the tapered roller steering bearings. It's like adjusting a damper of some sorts. A bit more preload will cure the wobble as long as all other maintenance is good to go.

I'm telling you this from experience. So many guys get new tires and then they think they've cured their issue. Once the wobble starts again after some miles on the tires, they think the tires are bad and search, and search, and search some more for different tires and such. But the issue is usually just snugging up the bearings a bit.
I used to take up the slack a bit every 5000-7000 miles of so. I'd know when it was time when I'd get a slight wobble with hands off the bars at about 45mph decelerating. Never had an issue after the adjustments.

Just think of it as a maintenance task every few years or few thousands of miles.
Vinnie

Will do Vinnie, is there a special tool for this?
There sure is,,,,,,,,,,, but I think you beat me to it and found it on another thread :)

To be honest, I've never used the factory tool. I torque the nut by feel and tighten just enough to eliminate any front wobble (trial and error). If I ride my bike and feel or see any wobble at the usual 45mph or so, when decelerating, I just go back to the garage and snug it up a bit more. Once the wobble has been eradicated, I'm done. You don't want to ever go too tight or you'll wind up with a bike that wanders down the road a bit because the steering won't self-correct as it should because the bearing is too tight (not good for the bearings either).

Vinnie

Clock wise tightens? I will look in my manual
Thanks again, I've work on my own bike's since I was 15, enjoy doing 90% of the work to them.

Went a head and did the bounce test, based on the YouTube video, tightened about a 1/2 turn. Went out for a test ride, no issues, actually seems to steer better....could be in my head! Thanks for the advice!

Latest posts

Back