Fuel delivery issues on a low tank

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MONTREALMAX

Reaction score
Has anyone experienced any fuel starvation issues as the fuel level in the tank gets closer to reserve and then progressively worse as the level drops?

Does the problem go away if you switch to RES? Maybe flash a light in there to see if there's crud.

Symptoms get worse once it is on reserve seems to be starving for gas

and the tank is clean from what i can tell no crud

i took apart the fuel pump and that was clean

Filter is new

did not check vent tipover valve

could that be it? Or fuel pump dying?

I would check for plugged vent line/tip valve.

Do you notice a lot of clicking from the fuel pump?

I always get a lot of clicking from the fuel pump whenever I turn the ignition on after not riding for a couple of days.

Is that normal?

Yes it is normal, your pump is filling the carb bowls back up. The gas in them evaporates quite a bit in a short time.

Am wondering if Montreal's issue isn't the fuel pump relay messing up. As it shuts the pump down until the fuel switch is moved to reserve when the tank level gets down, could it be "sticking" in the pump off position then intermitently working (vibration causing function LOL)?

That's possible Jim. To test you could unhook pump output hose and turn key to see how fuel flows out. Then, unhook fuel pump 2-pin connection and apply power directly to see if flow changes.

i would check for plugged vent line/tip valve.

Do you notice a lot of clicking from the fuel pump?

would the clogged vent only show symptoms when fuel level is low?

Pump runs for about 2-3 sec when i first turn the key on and then shuts off

after the bike is running i have not really noticed i cannot hear it drowned out by motor noise

With the fuel vent I would expect problems regardless of fuel level but not sure. It's easy to inspect/clean so wouldn't hurt. Next time it starts starving for fuel shut down and then turn the key on. There should be very little,if any, clicking.

I JUST CAME BACK FROM A QUICK TEST DRIVE

THE FUNNY PART IS WHEN IT STARTS TO STUMBLE IF I GO TO WIDE OPEN THROTTLE IT IS OK LEADING ME TO BELIEVE I AM HAVING LOW SPEED MIXTURE PROBLEMS AGAIN

BUT WHY WOULD THIS ONLY SHOW UP WHEN THE TANK IS ALMOST EMPTY AND NOT WHEN IT IS FULL?

I AM GOING TO WAIT FOR THE MORGAN CARBTUNE THAT I ORDERED THIS MORNING NOT SURE THE DIAL GAUGE TYPE THAT I BORROWED WHEN MY MERCURY MODEL DIED IS ACCURATE

I GUESS I'LL JUST HAVE TO DRIVE AT WOT UNTIL JOHN MORGAN LICKS THE STAMP :biglaugh:

That doesn't make sense to me. If the float bowls are at a consistent level then a idle circuit problem would occur regardless of fuel tank level. I still think there's a problem somewhere before the carbs. Just not sure if it's electrical or not.

Going to ask a stupid question because I am not sure of this. Could the pump pickup tube have a pin hole in it towards the bottom of the tube? If it has a hole somewhere around the -12L mark in the tank then it could suck small amounts of air causing a fuel delivery issue. Just guessing here as I haven't had my tank open to look at the design internally.

That's a good idea Jim. Only problem is that the hose hooks to a nipple on the tank. Any p/u assembly is inside the tank and looking at the fiche doesn't look it can be removed. The tank would have to be cut or a new one installed.

I am thinking then that the hole in the pickup tube could be the culprit. Would definately cause a fuel delivery issue, especially under hard acceleration as the fuel bowls empty more rapidly than when under steady state throttle.

i will look at this when I get a few minutes to work on her

thanks for the replies

I posted this in the "fuel reserve circuit explained" thread first. Then I found this one and thought it belonged here.............

Here's my version of a fuel reserve problem that's slowly been getting worse.......and sounds simular to the problem listed here.

When my light comes on and I switch to "reserve" it finishes stumbling for a minute or so then starts to stumble again. I switch to "on" then back to "reserve". It clears again then soon starts to stumble again. I did it a 3rd time then all was fine for 5 or 6 miles to the gas station. No problems while "on".

It's been getting a little worse since it started happening last season.

I'm going to hit the switch with some contact cleaner for now. Do you guys think I may have a bigger problem on my hands? I will probably get out my multimeter and test the switch.

Also, this bike doesn't sit much (except for winter) and is garaged full time.

Any other ideas? Relay screwing up?? TIA. Mike.

I think I have the same problem MM..I've run out of gas a few times without the reserve light coming on or I don't notice it in time (although I think it does'nt come on. Last time I ran out , i put gas in and tried to start and it would 'nt turn over (as if the battery were dead) Finally started after it cooled down for 20 min or so. Still not sure of the cause

Back