FZ1/Speed triple

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gamorg02

Reaction score
hey all..

my roommate (and I) are going to look at a FZ1 and a speed triple for him today. Does anyone have any advice on either bike as far as specific 'gotchas' on these models aside from the normal bike stuff?

the FZ1 is an 02 with 18k miles on it and the speed triple is an 03 with 7k miles on it.

thnx in advance!

I can't give any technical advice.....but I like the Triumph better....

Parts and service availability should get a glance as well....

Nice bikes either way:biglaugh:

I can't give any technical advice.....but I like the Triumph better....

Parts and service availability should get a glance as well....

Nice bikes either way:biglaugh:

me too man..

the triumph will retain its value better, is a newer bike and lower miles....

the yamaha is much cheaper right now (over $1k before haggling) but will be cheaper to fix if anything goes wrong....

i know the typicals to look for just looking if anyone owns either or has had experience and knows about gotchas... i can't find any glaring ones in my googling...

I have heard that the Speed Triple loves to wheelie as well:biglaugh: Either bike would be a good choice from what I have seen in my research (wife was looking at them) and it really comes down to personal preference. For my money I like the Speed Triple, the bike is sick:punk:

I have heard that the Speed Triple loves to wheelie as well:biglaugh: Either bike would be a good choice from what I have seen in my research (wife was looking at them) and it really comes down to personal preference. For my money I like the Speed Triple, the bike is sick:punk:

yea i think he's leaning towards the fz1 purely b/c of price... plus i think it will be easier to maintain but we're going to go look at both of them

all my research so far has still turned up squat on any model-specific issues.

yea i think he's leaning towards the fz1 purely b/c of price... plus i think it will be easier to maintain but we're going to go look at both of them

all my research so far has still turned up squat on any model-specific issues.

May I also recommend an SV1000S? I have one and the Vtwin is a BLAST to ride. I bet if he rode one he'd take it home. You can get CLEAN used ones for 3000-6000 dollars. The engines are nearly bullet proof! I think I have seen one grenade and it's because the jack ass ran it with no oil... :biglaugh:

May I also recommend an SV1000S? I have one and the Vtwin is a BLAST to ride. I bet if he rode one he'd take it home. You can get CLEAN used ones for 3000-6000 dollars. The engines are nearly bullet proof! I think I have seen one grenade and it's because the jack ass ran it with no oil... :biglaugh:

they were on the list (i'd love an sv1000n myself as well), but none reasonably priced locally... all i could find was an 03 with 1k miles on it they wanted almost $6k for it tho... out of his range.

they were on the list (i'd love an sv1000n myself as well), but none reasonably priced locally... all i could find was an 03 with 1k miles on it they wanted almost $6k for it tho... out of his range.

I'm admin on the SV portal and I have to say that people DO get attached to their SV's and keep them for a while or just add bikes. ME INCLUDED...:biglaugh:

SPEED TRIPLE
I saw this on a sportster forum and had to save it. Its a SWEET example of a speed triple.

Attachments

• speed triple.jpg
    speed triple.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 36
sorry it took me so long to get to this. My best friend has owned a speed triple for 4 years now. He bought his brand new in 2005. I do all the work on it. They are very simple to work on. The things we had to replace was a rear wheel bearing, the stator and a valve clearance check. That thing has shit IDK 30,000 miles on it. It is a great bike and still runs strong. Go here for everything you would ever want to know about the speed triple. Tell em' the guy on a V-Max that eats triples up in the twisties sent you. they will know who you are talking about.

http://www.thespeedtriple.com/Forums/index.php

AND, the FZ1 is my next bike! HA HA h A after all the praise I give the triple. It's just preference. I have owned an SV1000s and two of my buddie still have theirs. My other best buddy from the Corps has a Honda Superhawk and I love that thing too. I have also put a lot of miles on a Kawa ZRX1100 and 1200. They are all great reliable easy to work on bike but I just love the FZ1. That high revvin but still got it down low 1st gen R1 motor is friggen great. It's all preference. I love bikes! :punk:

sorry it took me so long to get to this. My best friend has owned a speed triple for 4 years now. He bought his brand new in 2005. I do all the work on it. They are very simple to work on. The things we had to replace was a rear wheel bearing, the stator and a valve clearance check. That thing has shit IDK 30,000 miles on it. It is a great bike and still runs strong. Go here for everything you would ever want to know about the speed triple. Tell em' the guy on a V-Max that eats triples up in the twisties sent you. they will know who you are talking about.

http://www.thespeedtriple.com/Forums/index.php

AND, the FZ1 is my next bike! HA HA h A after all the praise I give the triple. It's just preference. I have owned an SV1000s and two of my buddie still have theirs. My other best buddy from the Corps has a Honda Superhawk and I love that thing too. I have also put a lot of miles on a Kawa ZRX1100 and 1200. They are all great reliable easy to work on bike but I just love the FZ1. That high revvin but still got it down low 1st gen R1 motor is friggen great. It's all preference. I love bikes! :punk:

thanks for the input man... much appreciated. didn't end up looking at the bikes yet, maybe today or next week....!

I just bought a 06 Speed Triple today as my twisty bike. I've been checking them out for about 3 months and the only thing I've found that's a downer is the price of OEM parts. Ouch. Hopefully a stronger dollar will help ease the pain. Yeah, like that's ever going to happen.

There seems to be very low miles on a lot them. My 06 has 540. Hell, I'll put 300 on it riding it home.

I just bought a 06 Speed Triple today as my twisty bike. I've been checking them out for about 3 months and the only thing I've found that's a downer is the price of OEM parts. Ouch. Hopefully a stronger dollar will help ease the pain. Yeah, like that's ever going to happen.

There seems to be very low miles on a lot them. My 06 has 540. Hell, I'll put 300 on it riding it home.

good to know man...

my buddy ended up with the 2002 fz1 with 18k miles on it for $3400. not a bad price. it was taken care of pretty well and the sprockets chain and tires are all brand spankin new. he put a deposit on it w/out riding it (not maybe the best idea but whatever) and will test ride it when he goes and picks it up next week....

it should give the max a run for its money, i'm tired of smoking my buddies 600 sportbikes hah

as i said he went with the fz1. i rode it home for him last night, pretty fast bike. going from an 85 bmw k75c its going to take a bit of a curve to get used to the power... this thing could def give the max a run for its money, esp since the 14k redline!

Attachments

• fz1.jpg
    fz1.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 9
as i said he went with the fz1. i rode it home for him last night, pretty fast bike. going from an 85 bmw k75c its going to take a bit of a curve to get used to the power... this thing could def give the max a run for its money, esp since the 14k redline!
I afraid that the FZ1 will walk all over the Vmax everywhere except at the launch. By 3rd gear he will be waving bye bye to you. My brother has a '03 FZ1, weighs about 100 lbs less than me, has a DW 4 into 1/ timing advance/ stage 1 carb kit. We have a long since abandoned Air Force missle base that is set up in a triangle with each leg a little over a mile long. We start from a dead stop and I can stay ahead of him first 2 gears then he rockets past me before I can hit 3rd. At the end I'm going 135 -140( per speedo, probably going slower than that) and he's is going 160. I am going to hook up my GPS to get a better speedo reading so I can have a better feel for my speedo error.

I afraid that the FZ1 will walk all over the Vmax everywhere except at the launch. By 3rd gear he will be waving bye bye to you. My brother has a '03 FZ1, weighs about 100 lbs less than me, has a DW 4 into 1/ timing advance/ stage 1 carb kit. We have a long since abandoned Air Force missle base that is set up in a triangle with each leg a little over a mile long. We start from a dead stop and I can stay ahead of him first 2 gears then he rockets past me before I can hit 3rd. At the end I'm going 135 -140( per speedo, probably going slower than that) and he's is going 160. I am going to hook up my GPS to get a better speedo reading so I can have a better feel for my speedo error.

good to know, th eonly thing i got going for me tho is experience, he has maybe 500-800 miles under his belt on a bike i have almost 10k

Latest posts

Back