Gauge mod

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Redbone

Reaction score
Is there anyone that can do the 3 gauge mod similar to the one Lankee did? I am thinking of having water temp/ volts/ oil pressure in the faux tank bezel with just the oil warning light and a switch for heated grips.
I want to move the tach plus highbeam/ neutral/ fuel/ turnsignal to a top gauge along with the stock speedometer. I'm not sure if the stock tach can be separated from the lower bezel or not so maybe a new (not 5", but something in the range of 3 3/8").
I'm not really a electrical guru but I can do most basic stuff and with help from here I'm sure this is doable.:worthy:

You can use all of them:
http://www.kosonorthamerica.com/

I have speedo already witch comes with fuel gauge.

You can put GP style 55mm tacho witch consist water temp, next gauge can be AF gauge and leave the signal lights.
That is what i plan to do.
Of course you can go with 3 gauges, there is the right place there, to fit 3 gauges.

Yes, tacho can be separated from bezel but why? You need to fabricate new housing then.

Take a look at those Koso's.
They are very good quailty and price.

Is there anyone that can do the 3 gauge mod similar to the one Lankee did? I am thinking of having water temp/ volts/ oil pressure in the faux tank bezel with just the oil warning light and a switch for heated grips.
I want to move the tach plus highbeam/ neutral/ fuel/ turnsignal to a top gauge along with the stock speedometer. I'm not sure if the stock tach can be separated from the lower bezel or not so maybe a new (not 5", but something in the range of 3 3/8").
I'm not really a electrical guru but I can do most basic stuff and with help from here I'm sure this is doable.:worthy:

Its pretty simple brian, I done mine in about an hour.

I took a picture of the back of the instuments for reference.

To drill the holes I just used a hole saw, and to clean it up I used a dremel tool with a sand paper grinding wheel.

The rest was just re-wiring and plumbing. The tach will be tricky to put in a cup as it's not a circle shape.

You can use all of them:
http://www.kosonorthamerica.com/

I have speedo already witch comes with fuel gauge.

You can put GP style 55mm tacho witch consist water temp, next gauge can be AF gauge and leave the signal lights.
That is what i plan to do.
Of course you can go with 3 gauges, there is the right place there, to fit 3 gauges.

Yes, tacho can be separated from bezel but why? You need to fabricate new housing then.

Take a look at those Koso's.
They are very good quailty and price.
I'm working on a limited budget and want to do a 3 gauge lower then add a small tach next to the speedometer. I'm ok with the way the Vmax low fuel light/ reserve switch works so a fuel gauge is not a big deal. The COO gauge bracket are nicly done but seems busy to me with the gauges on the outside of the speedo or tach.

Its pretty simple brian, I done mine in about an hour.

I took a picture of the back of the instuments for reference.

To drill the holes I just used a hole saw, and to clean it up I used a dremel tool with a sand paper grinding wheel.

The rest was just re-wiring and plumbing. The tach will be tricky to put in a cup as it's not a circle shape.
After some further checking the lower gauges shouldn't be a problem with the 3 gauges like you said, but the tach from Speedhut will require a custom bracket to hold speedo/ tach/ and my harlan shiftlight. I'm thinking I'll need help in the wiring of tach to make this all work.
I should be able to mock something up as a design example for the bracket. Then maybe Tom @ COO or local person can machine a bracket to hold them properly. I'm thinking that I want the speedometer slighty offset to left of center then small tach/ shiftlight stacked slighty offset to right of center with high beam/ neutral/ fuel/ turn idiot lights set into upper bracket. This will all be behind my mini windshield so it should be pretty tidy looking so at htis point I don't think a cup for the tach will be needed.

Then maybe Tom @ COO or local person can machine a bracket to hold them properly. I'm thinking that I want the speedometer slighty offset to left of center then small tach/ shiftlight stacked slighty offset to right of center with high beam/ neutral/ fuel/ turn idiot lights set into upper bracket. This will all be behind my mini windshield so it should be pretty tidy looking so at htis point I don't think a cup for the tach will be needed.

You could always trace a design out on a piece of cardboard to fit. Or being I'm done with my CNA course (88% on my final exam :clapping:). I'm not going to be doing much until phlebotomy, bio, chem classes in January, I could take the dimentions of the gauges you want and break out the AutoCAD and whip out something with you, that could be send to a machinist to cut out.

It would be no problem what so ever. :punk:

You could always trace a design out on a piece of cardboard to fit. Or being I'm done with my CNA course (88% on my final exam :clapping:). I'm not going to be doing much until phlebotomy, bio, chem classes in January, I could take the dimentions of the gauges you want and break out the AutoCAD and whip out something with you, that could be send to a machinist to cut out.

It would be no problem what so ever. :punk:
That'd be awesome KJ, let me sketch a basic design out. I want to stick with my Harlan shiftlight mounted stacked above the tach, maybe centered a bit to keep the harlan lower than the top of the speedometer. I just want it to be a compact setup of the speedo/ tach/ harlan plus high beam/ neutral/ fuel/ turn idiot lights.

Back