Gear Pulling Question

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

D-Max2012

Reaction score
Has anyone ever used something like this to get to the Starter clutch? I need to get to it to check those "rocks in a box' sounds when starting. Wondering if the screws needs to be re-tightened or the whole unit need replacing.

5 ton puller.jpg

OMG!!! Excellent information Traumahawk.
Thanks Sean for putting that out there.
Now, I wonder how much is that tool for removing the flywheel?

Has anyone ever used something like this to get to the Starter clutch? I need to get to it to check those "rocks in a box' sounds when starting. Wondering if the screws needs to be re-tightened or the whole unit need replacing.

View attachment 47192

I believe Garette used that same one. I always use a harmonic balancer puller. I'll be
pulling one tomorrow. I've got my lead hammer all ready to whack the center bolt.
Pullers have to be on straight, no matter what kind used. There's more than one way to do almost anything. Heat is your friend.
Steve,

Is it always recommended to peen the bolt heads or is something like an acetone cleaned bolt hole, bolt and Red Locktite enough?

Yeah. I came back home. Bike's are still in Texas with my wife. She's moving up when we sell the house.

Just picked this one up from Harbor Freight.. Feels pretty strong.. Will know if it does the job when it warms up outside.. Not bad reviews also..

Flywheel Puller HFT.JPG

The crow foot and middle shaft should be strong enough. The question is if the bolts are strong enough. The bolts are the key to the removal.

Sean

I guess I could pick up some higher grade bolts if needed.

I'm thinking, since I don't have a garage to work in, I'll have to leave the bike in pieces outside while I determine if the starter clutch is only has loose bolts, or need replacing.. I figure, at the bare minimum, I should pick up new replacement Bolts (Part No. 91316-08014-00 x 3).

Back