Gen I ram air that actually looks good.

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Saw Neil's Gen 1 bike a few months ago and it had fully functional scoops. He's running the fiberglass stuff from Brazil with what looked like small dryer tubing.

Mid 9's in the quarter at CC and he said low 9's at BB and running lean all day long without gas.

His gen 1 bike runs strong but there is a bad pop on the long end with or without juice. They keep the new model in the trailer all the time unless his wife is cleaning it.

I's say by guessing he weighs 170 lbs. wet.

Saw Neil's Gen 1 bike a few months ago and it had fully functional scoops. He's running the fiberglass stuff from Brazil with what looked like small dryer tubing.

Mid 9's in the quarter at CC and he said low 9's at BB and running lean all day long without gas.

His gen 1 bike runs strong but there is a bad pop on the long end with or without juice. They keep the new model in the trailer all the time unless his wife is cleaning it.

I's say by guessing he weighs 170 lbs. wet.

Barney max Neil? I don't doubt it. Big motor + Fly weight = The medical world calls "Sunkeneyeshiteatinggrin Syndrome" :biglaugh:

I heard its a side effect of Mod Monkey bites.

Speaking of Neil, how is he doing, he aint been around in a while.

Last edited:
Yes, a good pipe will help.
I've modded the ram-air sys. on my ZX-11 a bit. Ram air works but with all the twists and turns, and volume changes, this system is a great"cold air system."
The highest pressure is at the "nose" of the bike and any turbulence really drops the pressure. Pressure also drops rapidly as it approaches the sides of the bike( like an airplane wing).

But it still sounds like a cool idea for the Max.

Have ya'll read the other info posted on his site? He has done some testing using pressure sensors in the stk box as well as his ram-air setup. His is almost as efficient as the Hayabusa and ZX-12's ram-air. There was a test in a motorcycle magazine awhile back where they tested the ram-air systems on the Hayabusa and ZX-12. Both were very well designed.
I would really like this setup, but i think i would rather run and EFI setup than the Ram-air(given only $$$$ to do one of them that is). Looks killer though...!!!

Re: Gen I ram-air that actually looks good.

Does look/sound good, but you'd need a pretty open exhaust to make this all breathe right, no?

I would think so. The bike he tested on was stock and the gain was about 3-4% according to his numbers. As the adage goes; the better the flow the better the horsepower and after all a good pipe does increase the flow.

However, I think different jetting then what will be supplied with the kit might be in order. Htested a stock bike and adjusted the jets accordingly to avoid a lean condition. but, just like rejetting after installing something like a Kerker or other pipes, I think you might have to go even bigger on the jet issue.

I forgot where this has been discussed but its no ground breaking news!
The Stock CV carbs on the vmax DONT benifit from ram air.. This is basically for looks.
Back years ago I was going to design a ram air but make it look trick.. Here was my design idea..

This is for each scoop..

3 Butterflies on a linkage that work with the throttle postion be simple with a cable.. Has anyone seen operational butterflies on airscoops?

But same as the faux Velocity Stacks.. just for show it doesnt work with the CV carbs, airbox and intake design

The one being discussed above includes the complete airbox which was designed to work with the scoops he designed.
Ram-air won't work with stk Mikuni CV carbs?

The CV refers to constant velocity that is achieved by varying the opening of the slide to keep air velocity over the needle jet constant.

The float bowls don't ever see vacuum due to venting to atmosphere. Fuel is drawn up through the main and needle jet by the reduction in air pressure at the venturi in the carb throat. A boost bleed tube (Like the ones found on turbo bikes that use CV's) is required to ensure equal pressure or slightly higher pressure is applied to the float bowl to avoid upseting the above operation.

The one being discussed above includes the complete airbox which was designed to work with the scoops he designed.
Ram-air won't work with stk Mikuni CV carbs?

Ram Air has been around for a long time on motorcycles and one of the keys to a good dragbike body is the design of the airbox.
Bird I dont recall the exact article on many trying to make it work, but it was a flop.. People have ran tubes from the front to the airbox, tubes inside the scoops to the airbox.. custom airbox made of fiberglass it didnt work or I should say any increase in HP that was worth the time, money..

Yeah, i'm familiar with what CV stands for and how they work. I'm also very familiar with Kawasakis use of them with their ram-air setups(along with other makes). Very simple fix to work with pressurised intakes(like ram-air, Blow-through Turbos and Superchargers), which you've mentioned. That boost tube is usually referenced on the actual intake tube before the carb.

If the fella is seeing a pressure increase, there will be an increase of power(providing proper jetting). Can't speak for other back-yard designs.
Your right on the mark saying "is the gain worth the $$$$". Even the Hayabusa does not see any appreciable gains under 120mph, so a non-faired bike is prolly not gonna even hit those speeds often(i don't wanna!), so the gain would be mimimal.

Yeah, i'm familiar with what CV stands for and how they work. I'm also very familiar with Kawasakis use of them with their ram-air setups

No biggie, didn't say you didn't. Sorry if it came across that way. I type for ppl who might not know, to make the statment a lil more simple.

It comes from thousands of report and complaint writing when I was a cop. Ya have to make shit simple so that everybody that reads it has a chance to understand it. It wasn't a slam at ppl's knowledge of what CV stands for. I find myself when I ask questions I tend to do the same thing.

I believe the problem was due to the VMAX intake design. Another reason why the engine doesnt make anymore horsepower after 8K rpms. I am not a physic nor do I get into long formulas, not my style.. Keeping it simple with shit that works and shows results.
Ask Huber.. he will load ya up and all the CFM Specs and other number letter game he loves that shit

No biggie, didn't say you didn't. Sorry if it came across that way. I type for ppl who might not know, to make the statment a lil more simple.

It comes from report and complaint writing when I was a cop. Ya have to make shit simple so that everybody that reads it has a chance to understand it. It wasn't a slam at ppl's knowledge of what CV stands for.

Not a problem at all. I appreciate your doing that. I just realized that my statement sounded as if i did'nt know rather than questioning what was said.

I know you are inteligent when it comes to motorcycles and you know how to go fast!
If I have time i will look for the article.. or ya can try keywords.....
VMAX RAM AIR AIRBOX FORCED using google and see what ya can pull up, it was back around 2000-2002 time frame

Not a problem at all. I appreciate your doing that. I just realized that my statement sounded as if i did'nt know rather than questioning what was said.

I believe the problem was due to the VMAX intake design. Another reason why the engine doesnt make anymore horsepower after 8K rpms. I am not a physic nor do I get into long formulas, not my style.. Keeping it simple with shit that works and shows results.
Ask Huber.. he will load ya up and all the CFM Specs and other number letter game he loves that shit

Heh! I'm getting to long in the tooth for much formulas myself!
I think the fellas design in the link was well thought out. The scoops are WIDER than factory(i think this is prolly why his shows the benifits it does since the stk scoops are kinda tucked in too tight) and the scoops are completely his design, just "looking" simmilar on the outside. He had to relocate all the "clutter" that is under the stk scoops. The whole box is completely different as well with the air comming in from the bottom of the box unlike the stk setup. The fella has tons of time invested. There is the "cool" factor, which is WAAAY up there in my opinion. I'm more like you though and i would rather have performance than "coolness". Just ask all my friends...I'm not cool at all...(i am fast though!LOL)

Latest posts

Back