General bike maintenance help

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yukonerdave

Reaction score
Hello

I've been tinkering with bikes for a while but I've never had anyone show me what to do. I was happy to kind of teach myself and learn as I go on older bikes, but I am afraid of screwing something up on my new baby. I'm not completely useless, but I would really like to learn more about how to fix anything that goes wrong on my bike. I'd like something geared toward someone fairly new to this stuff. Anyway, my question is whether anyone can recommend a book or website. I have the Yamaha service manual, but I'd like something with more step-by step instructions on everything including the basics (e.g. changing a fuel filter). Any opinions on the Hanes/Clymers manuals? Any other suggestions? Thanks a lot

Hello

I've been tinkering with bikes for a while but I've never had anyone show me what to do. I was happy to kind of teach myself and learn as I go on older bikes, but I am afraid of screwing something up on my new baby. I'm not completely useless, but I would really like to learn more about how to fix anything that goes wrong on my bike. I'd like something geared toward someone fairly new to this stuff. Anyway, my question is whether anyone can recommend a book or website. I have the Yamaha service manual, but I'd like something with more step-by step instructions on everything including the basics (e.g. changing a fuel filter). Any opinions on the Hanes/Clymers manuals? Any other suggestions? Thanks a lot

I'll say this. Based on what you have described you have a leg up on me, and so far I've been able to complete the minor servicing of my bike just from the write ups and answers from this site. Have a look at the HOW TOO's and FAQ section.

:)

haynes manuals are top notch! they don't assume you are a yamaha tech like the factory manual does. great $20 to spend.

There is a truck load of knoledge floating around this site and, I think that it`s the best place to go for help.
I know from personal experience that when I joined I was just like you :a vmax owner and that was it.
I have mechanical knoledge but I didn`t want to mess something up that I couldn`t fix.
All you have to do is ask a question and you will be responded to within minutes by guys who really know this bike . everyone on this site is great and we are all brothers.
so don`t worry about that, there are "how to" sections in here with detailed pics and step by step instructions for many fixes.
You have come to the right place bro.
<<Dave>>:punk:

Awesome

I'll probably check out the Haynes manual - I just don't want to be bothering everyone here with ALL my questions :ummm:. Anyway, I'm glad to have found such an active forum. Thanks for the responses

yukoner, my thoughts exactly. never done coolant flush before and the haynes walked me thru it perfectly. only thing i asked here was what coolant to use.

easy to find. amazon or jcwhitney and i think bikebandit.

Back