"Heavy, floppy, low speed steering" ?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dj52l

Reaction score
I was without my "88 Vmax for over 2 months as she had some electrical problems I finally had to put her in Motorcycle Hospital for a while and let an expert figure out.
Among other things I had checked out while there was a sometimes head shake when braking at about 30 MPH. The tech adjusted the head bearings and now, it seems she wants to to "fall in" when making a low speed turn. The steering just seems heavy at low speeds and riding in town, just literally is hard work and not very relaxing.
Any ideas of what causes this and how to fix. I don't remember her steering like this before...it seems like work to wrestle her around town.
At first, I thought it was because I had taken up with a new lady in her absence and bought a Honda NT700, that steers and handles so lightly, and that it was my imagination that the Vmax was having a "stiff neck" of jealousy, but it isn't getting any more comfortable to ride at low speed. Highway speed is great and the shake is gone.
Is this just the price you pay for highway stability?
The tires have good tread and ride smooth at speed.

I had the same thing after adjusting the head bearings. My symptom was almost like memory steer. I suspect I got them a little too tight. But, after a couple hundred miles they seem perfect.

I think you were right, mivmx, with a few more miles, it seems to be handling better, smoother steering. It still has a little tendancy to "turn in" on a curve , but it is getting better after 100 miles.

Central Florida Tech Day was where we adjusted my steering, probably 500 miles ago. It was initially too tight and tended to wander when going straight so I loosened the adjustment very slightly. Today while I was out I took some curves and noticed I was pushing the bars back a little. It wanted to turn slightly faster than needed. I can handle that and it's better than wondering if I'm gonna make the curve. I'll live with it the way it is.

I was without my "88 Vmax for over 2 months as she had some electrical problems I finally had to put her in Motorcycle Hospital for a while and let an expert figure out.
Among other things I had checked out while there was a sometimes head shake when braking at about 30 MPH. The tech adjusted the head bearings and now, it seems she wants to to "fall in" when making a low speed turn. The steering just seems heavy at low speeds and riding in town, just literally is hard work and not very relaxing.
Any ideas of what causes this and how to fix. I don't remember her steering like this before...it seems like work to wrestle her around town.
At first, I thought it was because I had taken up with a new lady in her absence and bought a Honda NT700, that steers and handles so lightly, and that it was my imagination that the Vmax was having a "stiff neck" of jealousy, but it isn't getting any more comfortable to ride at low speed. Highway speed is great and the shake is gone.
Is this just the price you pay for highway stability?

The tires have good tread and ride smooth at speed.

Check the front tire pressure ... all the symptoms you mention can be associated with a low front tire pressure ... I hope this helps

Back