Help valve cover bolt broke off

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jagco1

Reaction score
Man i will never use a ratchet wrench again on these bolts man. :bang head:

Outer bolt rear lift hand side.

I went up to the yamaha dealer ship with some pictures they said the heads need to be pull off to remove the broken bolt at a cost from $600.00 to $900.00 to repair.

Any help on the best way to remove the broken bolt or should let the dealer do it.

The funny thing I can still ride the bike no oil leak with the bolt broke off.

I just got finish rebuilding the carbs, bike running very good.

vmaxbolt2broke.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:
It cant be that tight in there. Take a small pointed chisel or pointed punch & tap it the way you would unbolt it. It should come right out may be a pita w/ not much room but it will come out .

Remove the valve cover, remove the cam cap, remove the bolt (probably very easy with the cap off). If you can't get the bolt out of the cap then get with me and i'll see about getting you some caps to swap out with. I've got a bag full and you'd use one with the best fit (they are precision machined to match your head but we can generally get one close enough to work with no issues).

Sean

Remove the valve cover, remove the cam cap, remove the bolt (probably very easy with the cap off). If you can't get the bolt out of the cap then get with me and i'll see about getting you some caps to swap out with. I've got a bag full and you'd use one with the best fit (they are precision machined to match your head but we can generally get one close enough to work with no issues).

Sean
There you go problem solved!!!!

Sean

Get me your number...
i thought, i had it...

thanks man, Man i'm piss at me self for this.

Sean what's the easy way to remove both valve covers off the bike. I only remove
them when the motor was off the bike.

Thanks

Get me your number...
i thought, i had it...

thanks man, Man i'm piss at me self for this.

Sean what's the easy way to remove both valve covers off the bike. I only remove
them when the motor was off the bike.

Thanks
You cold probably use this for a guide to removing vale covers unless someone else knows an easier way to just remove the one valve cover...
http://www.vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=12853

You only need the rear off. I think you don't even need to actaully take it all the way off. Just remove the overflow tank (lift and let it lay to the side). Take some bolts off through that access, some with the allen wrench. Then lift the cover up and access teh bolts holding the cap on.

the rear is easy. The front one's the bitch as the vboost motor needs to be taken off - cover won't clear with it in place.

Man got the cam cap off, I would like to power paint the valve covers to. Man the rear valve cover is still stuck could not pull out of there. The broke screw is real tight in the cam cap.

I tried drill it out from the other side to see if it will loosen up some.

How do you not scratch valve covers up when re-install the valve covers.

Can this part be order. E4 cam cap.

P1020729.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Damn... that sux. Had the same thing happen with the last bike I had. The remains of the bolt was just as deep in the rocker arm bridge.

I took the piece to a local shop I trust, and they had it out the next day. Had the bolt the next day as well. $10 bolt that cost me $60, because I was impatient and I paid for next day service. Had they had Star Trek transporters to get it to me quicker, I would have used that even lol

Damn... that sux. Had the same thing happen with the last bike I had. The remains of the bolt was just as deep in the rocker arm bridge.

I took the piece to a local shop I trust, and they had it out the next day. Had the bolt the next day as well. $10 bolt that cost me $60, because I was impatient and I paid for next day service. Had they had Star Trek transporters to get it to me quicker, I would have used that even lol

Man it seem I just can't stop working on the bike. So many new parts.

Thanks guy's, I was able to remove the broken bolt, I went up to my other house
and use may mini grinder and cut a slot in the bolt on inside of the cam cap, and used a screw driver to back the broken bolt back out.

P1020733.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Back