help with removing the motor

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

t3ttp

Reaction score
do i have to remove the swingarm inorder to remove the driveshaft so i can pull the motor?

Makes the job easier if you remove the swingarm and remove the middle drive gear from engine. Gives alot more room to get engine in & out.

Mike

Drive shaft is installed/removed from the rear of the swingarm. Pull the differential off an you will see the end of the driveshaft. At that point you just yank it out. You can just remove the two pivot bolts on the swingarm and pull the swingarm off and the driveshaft will come out with the swingarm IIRC.

do i have to remove the swingarm in order to remove the driveshaft so i can pull the motor?

Short answer - yes.

I've never found the need to remove the UJ though.

In my case the driveshaft has always come out with the final drive (NOT the differential, that is a totally different piece of kit. Signed Mr Pedant)

If you can lay your hand on a stout piece of tube, lash this to the motor between the V.
Not only does this give you something decent to hang on to but provided it is reasonably tight to the motor you will be able to 'steer' it in and out of the frame.

When putting it back wrap the frame with some expanded foam pipe insulation to protect it.

Let me clear this up a bit. I've pulled more engines then most of you guys added together. Some of you have seen how this is done in person and will agree it works quite well. We need to clarify what the terminology means:
Driveshaft - The long shaft that connects the engines output power (from the u-joint bolted to the middle gear) to the rear final drive/differential.
Differential - Also know as the rear final drive. This is what your rear wheel is fit into the side of.
Middle Gear - The internal gearing that converts the power from the secondary shaft to output from the engine. There is a u-joint assembly bolted to it on the backside of the engine. The rear section of this 2 part gear set is in a housing that has 3 bolts retaining it to the back of the engine. When removed there are 2 shims (or 2 halves with multiple layers) that will remove with it.

1st: You do NOT need to pull the swingarm off just to pull the driveshaft. 99% of the time the driveshaft will stick into the differential when it's removed so it will come out with it. It will have to be pulled from the diff to be able to be installed more easily back into place when doing reassembly.

2nd: The engine is FAR FAR easier to remove with the mid gear section removed that is bolted to the back of the engine. This will require removal of the swingarm to get access to pull it out of the engine. You can however re-install the swingarm and wheel if you want to be able to keep the bike back on the floor or move around while you are doing engine repairs/upgrades (hint hint).

The engine will actually be able to be removed with the u-joint still in place but it's a royal pain in the butt. With the mid gear removed the engine will simply slide right out with a simple floor jack without any fighting at all.

I have actually taken the entire swingarm/diff/wheel/shocks off all at one time and even reinstalled it (which is much trickier). This works well for the engine removal when you still have the centerstand and don't need the wheel in place to support the bike (actually a pair of long starter bolts and an ATV jack work quite well when placed through the muffler mounting holes).

If I am in a hurry I can get the engine out in just over an hour. Most of the time i'm not in that big a hurry.

Sean

my latest engine removal was by far the easiest I have ever done. It was on the wrecked venture I bought. I was able to get it out in less than 30 min.The best set of wrenches I found was not craftsman or Snap-On etc.. The name brand was "Zawzall" They were the most help , very quick and reliable LOL sorry I had to give my 2 cents !

i pulled the swing arm out and removed the three bolts that was attached to the middle drive gear. i also loosen the two bolts on either side of the engine shaft area. however, i cannot budge this middle gear area. am i missing something or a bolt somewhere?

Hey ,Sean just finnished my motor ,forgot to get new plug wires,should i use beter than stock,or will those be fine?

It might be sticky. use a hammer and screwdriver to tap it out by the edges. OEM plug wires work just fine.

Sean

use a rubber mallet and it came right out. Thank you all.

Sean, what gaskets should i buy from you? I'm replacing the tranny and will do a valve job while the engine is out. Can you make a list of gaskets that i would need? I will place the order for whatever you think i need.

Email me and i'll send you my trans repair list. Will have all the parts and options on it (not counting head gaskets).

Sean

Back