Here is my newly acquired Vmax... 1st thoughts

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

madmax06

Reaction score
I told you guys that i will post pics so here they are.
IMG_2774.jpg

IMG_2775.jpg

IMG_2776.jpg

IMG_2777.jpg

What i think about the bike: Rocket compared to my sportster... I cant even go WOT in 1st gear because i cant hold on and the excess of wheelspin lol... Just an awesome bike with awesome performance and great comfort

I have a question, at the time i asked, couple of you said that its rated at 145hp, but i looked it up online and it says its actually 133hp???? Can someone elaborate on that??

Also I just filled up and would like to know how many miles would i go before the reserve light pops up, considering if i ride normally???

Thanx fellas

Not sure on the hp but 133hp at the rear wheel, i doubt it you need some mods to c 120hp, as for the mileage thats up to you you can get 120mile to the tank just crusing or if you ride like it was meant to be average 75 to 90..JIM 3933

Not sure on the hp but 133hp at the rear wheel, i doubt it you need some mods to c 120hp, as for the mileage thats up to you you can get 120mile to the tank just crusing or if you ride like it was meant to be average 75 to 90..JIM 3933

yea i figured i would get to about 80 with my riding habits

Cruising at 80 I see about 100 miles until the light comes on. I've gotten as good as 120 miles with more "back road" riding where my speed hovers around 55.

Yamaha claimed 145 at the crank I believe, most stock bikes put out 110-115 at the rear wheel. Some basic mods will get that over 120. Mine dyno's at 166@crank, 115@ rear wheel with stage 1 kit, K&N. and Holeshot slip ons.

If you ride the vmax like it was intended, you should look into some brake upgrades. I've got the cylinder/caliper/rotors off a R1 with EBC pads and this thing stops on a friggen dime. It stops as fast as it goes. I can go from 140 to 65 in about 3 seconds- straining to keep myself from collapsing into the handlebars.

Going from a Sportster to a vmax is like graduating from a scooter to a R1. I've seen 145 mph on mine and it still had a little left to go- the shift light wasn't on, mine lights at 9200, a little before redline. I don't dare look down at the stupid "silver dollar" tach at those speeds.

My '06 will go 120 miles before the light comes on and that's with a liberal amount of v boostery and 'spirited' accellerations.

I'm jealous - best I can ever get is 105 and that's ALL highway no faster than 85mph and Vboost off..

Guess I need to upgrade to a 25 years younger model.. :confused2:

I'm jealous too.
I wish mine looked that clean and new.
Does yours have the California emissions on it? I know there's a California model number, but never actually seen one or heard of someone having one. The reason I ask, Is I imagine it will probably effect your mpg.
Anyway...
I get 108 miles before my reserve light comes on in town and about 118-120 when I'm doing nothing but highway riding under 80mph. If I run over 80 for extended periods then I only get about 112 miles before the light comes on.

I'm jealous too.
I wish mine looked that clean and new.
Does yours have the California emissions on it? I know there's a California model number, but never actually seen one or heard of someone having one. The reason I ask, Is I imagine it will probably effect your mpg.
Anyway...
I get 108 miles before my reserve light comes on in town and about 118-120 when I'm doing nothing but highway riding under 80mph. If I run over 80 for extended periods then I only get about 112 miles before the light comes on.
Yeah it does,
It`s that cylinder can attached to the frame bhind the motor on the left side but if you disconnect the hose from the nipple on the #2 carb and plug the nipple it will run just like a 49 state bike. I did it to mine.
<<Dave>>:biglaugh:

First thoughts......

Congratulations!!!!!:clapping:

Be careful and get used to it.....it is different than anything you have ever ridden......:eusa_dance:

You have my favorite stock paint job.....:punk:

ENJOY!!!!!!:biglaugh:

Went to a bike night right now with like 200+ bikes and saw not a single vmax... :punk: On the freeway i loved it... In 5th gear at any speed if i gun it, i take it up to 120 no problem, definitely a ballzy power cruiser... very impressive. My sportster 1200 would wind out close to 100, but this monster keeps pulling and pulling... i think its able to hit 150...

The only problem about my vmax is that it wouldnt start after sitting for an hour.... It barely started after i put the choke up all the way... I mean, i started it and then it died, couple of times actually. And it was 80 degrees outside

Now, the problem might be my battery. The 1st day i have bought my bike, the battery died, and had to be taken back to be charged. I think its the original battery and bike has 12K miles....

What do you think is the issue here?????

Cruising at 80 I see about 100 miles until the light comes on. I've gotten as good as 120 miles with more "back road" riding where my speed hovers around 55.

Yamaha claimed 145 at the crank I believe, most stock bikes put out 110-115 at the rear wheel. Some basic mods will get that over 120. Mine dyno's at 166@crank, 115@ rear wheel with stage 1 kit, K&N. and Holeshot slip ons.

If you ride the vmax like it was intended, you should look into some brake upgrades. I've got the cylinder/caliper/rotors off a R1 with EBC pads and this thing stops on a friggen dime. It stops as fast as it goes. I can go from 140 to 65 in about 3 seconds- straining to keep myself from collapsing into the handlebars.

Going from a Sportster to a vmax is like graduating from a scooter to a R1. I've seen 145 mph on mine and it still had a little left to go- the shift light wasn't on, mine lights at 9200, a little before redline. I don't dare look down at the stupid "silver dollar" tach at those speeds.

You sir are correct!!!! i almost ran into my buddy who had to brake on his bike, my brakes locked and i skid like a mofo... almost fell :bang head:. The brakes are definitely arent best

Can someone please recommend a good brake upgrade????? Where can i buy it for a reasonable price??? i cant find vmax parts anywhere....

Looks great! Hard to believe mine once looked as that one does!

Wonder why someone replaced the front tire... Must have gotten a nail in it or something.

Went to a bike night right now with like 200+ bikes and saw not a single vmax... :punk: On the freeway i loved it... In 5th gear at any speed if i gun it, i take it up to 120 no problem, definitely a ballzy power cruiser... very impressive. My sportster 1200 would wind out close to 100, but this monster keeps pulling and pulling... i think its able to hit 150...

The only problem about my vmax is that it wouldnt start after sitting for an hour.... It barely started after i put the choke up all the way... I mean, i started it and then it died, couple of times actually. And it was 80 degrees outside

Now, the problem might be my battery. The 1st day i have bought my bike, the battery died, and had to be taken back to be charged. I think its the original battery and bike has 12K miles....

would the starter turn over good and it wouldn't just catch? or did the starter sound bad too?

I would think you wouldn't need the choke at all in 80 degrees. I hardly ever use my choke. The only time I usually have to use it is in temps below 60.
You might also want to get in the habit of starting the Max always in neutral. You will have less starting issues because there is no drag on the starter that way.

You sir are correct!!!! i almost ran into my buddy who had to brake on his bike, my brakes locked and i skid like a mofo... almost fell :bang head:. The brakes are definitely arent best

Can someone please recommend a good brake upgrade????? Where can i buy it for a reasonable price??? i cant find vmax parts anywhere....
Ditto the R-1 upgrades front / rear. Scary fast stops when you're used to the max brakes.

Stock 4 pot brakes are fine... Add some lines and EBC HH pads and stiffen the suspension and it'll stop VERY well.

Chris

Latest posts

Back