Horn blows turn signal fuse...

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kcoop99

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me why (more often than not) when I am cruising and have my turn signal on and hit the horn that my 10A fuse blows? I have led turn signals on the front and the cbr conversion on the back. Both have resistors wired inline. Also, when that blows, my tach and temp guage go. :confused:

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

Can anyone tell me why (more often than not) when I am cruising and have my turn signal on and hit the horn that my 10A fuse blows? I have led turn signals on the front and the cbr conversion on the back. Both have resistors wired inline. Also, when that blows, my tach and temp guage go. :confused:

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

Providing your wiring circuits have not been altered, all of the above are on that same 10 amp circuit, also including the neutral, fuel and oil warning lamps, as well as the brake lights.
Start by disconnecting the three-pin connector going to the tail/brake light. Then try the horn and signal at the same time. If the fuse doesn't blow, check out the wiring for the taillight assembly.
Why are resistors required for the tailight? Or does this cbr conversion include led turn signals?

This conversion includes the integrated turn signal. I have to say it doesn't happen EVERY time, which is what kind of confuses me. Seems like when the bike is under a load (merging with traffic or something) is when it happens. Again, not everytime but it seems that when the horn is used, it blows the fuse. I do have an upgraded horn but it has a relay wired in.

This conversion includes the integrated turn signal. I have to say it doesn't happen EVERY time, which is what kind of confuses me. Seems like when the bike is under a load (merging with traffic or something) is when it happens. Again, not everytime but it seems that when the horn is used, it blows the fuse. I do have an upgraded horn but it has a relay wired in.

The new horn could be the culprit. How many amps does it draw? It might be stamped on the horn, if not, should be in the instructions that came with it. Or, you could use a multimeter to test it while being sounded.
It doesn't matter if a relay is used or not, the relay just protects the horn button and wiring. In operation, it will still draw it's rated amperage, via the fused circuit.

Kyle, check the horn relay and make sure bare wire ends aren't touching the frame. Do the same for turn signal leads.

I think either you have an intermittent short-circuit (check all wiring esp. the modified stuff for proper isolation), or maybe the new bulbs/resistors/CBR have added up to just a little more than 10A in certain combinations.

I would try a 12A or 15A fuse - if it blows again you defo have a short somewhere, if it doesn't maybe the new combination adds up to just over 10A and all is fine, although I would make doubly sure that ALL wires in the circuit concerned are able and safe to take at least a 15A rating, as otherwise you risk short-circuits due to meltdown of insulation that can lead to a fire that could fry your whole bike..

i had the same thing and even thou i didnt see the culprit wire it was somewhere in my mod brake light reflector i added on......so got rid of the rats nest wires i had under the seat, it was mostly when i had a pax sit on the bike it would happen......anywho took all that wire out, added led bar light where rear reflector was and now no more issues...... check your wires you got a short for sure on some mod add on

Back