How do I get this off

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TK3333

2000 VMX1200M
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This label has been pissing me off for 11 years. When I first got the bike I tried peeling it off with my finger nail but it wasn't working. I just left it alone cause I didn't want to damage the tank cover. Any ideas appreciated.

Attachments

• Phone Pics 061.jpg
    Phone Pics 061.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 92
This label has been pissing me off for 11 years. When I first got the bike I tried peeling it off with my finger nail but it wasn't working. I just left it alone cause I didn't want to damage the tank cover. Any ideas appreciated.

I don't have that sticker. Assuming it's on top of the clear coat, which sounds like the case since you're able to scrape at it, you could try using a heat gun or hair dryer. You may notice the paint under the sticker to be slightly darker since it hasn't been subjected to sunlight.

Carefully rough up the paper portion on top of the label. You can mask the label with tape to protect the tank.
Use a hair dryer to heat up the label.
Put on a couple of dabs of goo gone on top of the label. No need to get carried away & have goo gone dripping down the side of your tank.
Wait a couple of minutes.

Now try it!

Jester 42

This stuff works well:

Goo Gone? combines Scientific Technology and Citrus Power to defeat the toughest stains and sticky, gooey, greasy, gummy problems!
Goo Gone? safely removes: stickers ? gum ? tar ? crayon ? fresh paint ? tree sap ? oil ? grease ? asphalt ? scuff marks ? tape and tape residue ? adhesives ? candle wax ? kitchen grease ? shoe polish ? soap scum ? bumper stickers ? duct tape ? bicycle chain grease.
Goo Gone? has minimal impact on our environment and is safe to use on virtually any surface, including: plastic ? metal ? concrete ? brick ? carpets ? upholstery ? clothing ? tile ? glass ? grills ? appliances ? vinyl ? wood ? draperies ? automobiles ? boats ? fiberglass.

I will throw in my two cents in favor of Goo Gone, too. Also, regular old Ronson or Zippo lighter fluid isn't bad at taking adhesives off either.
And I can't remember the exact name of the product. I got it at O'reilly's. I think it was Bulldog. It came in an aerosol can and worked wonders taking the vinyl stripes off my old Mazda pick up truck.

Heat with hair dryer. Pick an edge and peel off. 3M adhesive remover and goo gone work great. Don't rub the paint real hard. Let the remover do the job. I typically soak the corner of a paper towel and work a little at a time. I typically use the 3M stuff and it evaporates quickly

Heat with hair dryer. Pick an edge and peel off. 3M adhesive remover and goo gone work great. Don't rub the paint real hard. Let the remover do the job. I typically soak the corner of a paper towel and work a little at a time. I typically use the 3M stuff and it evaporates quickly

The 3M adhesive remover is THE BOMB!!! I have a quart container of it. They sell plastic razor blades that when used in conjunction with a hair dryer, will remove it straight away. If you don't have an adhesive remover WD-40 or kerosene also are gentle to the paint and work. What ever you use, let it sit for a bit and then go at it.

If that's been on there for 11 years, expect the paint to be a different color underneath and the clear to have molded around the sticker a bit. I guess what I'm saying is, expect to see where the sticker was after you remove it.

Mine ALL came off with less than 5 miles on it.

I just used a hairdryer, but that was one day after I got it home from the dealer.

That thing has been baked on for a long time so just a dryer might not be enough, never tried any of the adhesive removers before.

If that's been on there for 11 years, expect the paint to be a different color underneath and the clear to have molded around the sticker a bit. I guess what I'm saying is, expect to see where the sticker was after you remove it.

I second this.
I recently bought an '06 & wanted to remove that annoying sticker.
(It's not even near the gas inlet)
I heated (hairdryer) & goo-gone'd it & it came off easily, but...
there is definitely a rectangular "ridge"left in the clearcoat.
It is somewhat visible but is much better than that orange warning label.
Maybe it'll buff out but it's so trivial in comparison to proper maintainance.

Hair dryer and then cleaned up the residue with rubbing alcohol. I've also used Goo Gone but the alcohol was handy and did a great job.

I will throw in my two cents in favor of Goo Gone, too. Also, regular old Ronson or Zippo lighter fluid isn't bad at taking adhesives off either.
And I can't remember the exact name of the product. I got it at O'reilly's. I think it was Bulldog. It came in an aerosol can and worked wonders taking the vinyl stripes off my old Mazda pick up truck.

Its called benzine...

lol - First thing I did when I got my bike home is take that sticker off. I turned the heat gun on low and then used the goo gone. Mine came off in pieces, but it wasn't too bad.

As Jester said, rough it up so whatever you put on there will penetrate through the top of the sticker......

I've used baby oil with surprising results, just let it soak a bit....

Another option is...No shit....DEEP WOODS OFF!

Deep woods off will remove just about anything from anything, I've tried all kinds of stuff and grabbed a can of it one day off the shelf in the garage and Bammo!!! The glue dissolved almost instantly.........

Ummm, if you remove it after being on for 11 years, it could leave a noticable spot where the rest of the paint has faded a bit and the area under the sticker hasn't. Just a word of caution.

Ummm, if you remove it after being on for 11 years, it could leave a noticable spot where the rest of the paint has faded a bit and the area under the sticker hasn't. Just a word of caution.

My '99 carbon fiber was noticeably faded in contrast to the area under the sticker. It was 5 years old and garage kept when I removed it.....

Sticker is off. Went at it with goo gone and hair dryer. The spot under the sticker is a little lighter than the rest, but not that noticeable and there is no ridge. I don't think anybody will be able to tell, especially at V-Max speed. Anyway, I'm glad that thing is off. Thanks for the replys.

The sun will eventually even the color out if it is not to bad. I have removed stickers off every bike I have ever owned. When new, no problems. After sun exposure, depends on the color. Sometimes a good polish/wax will help.

Back