How do I increase my fuel mileage?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My "to do" list is getting huge and I've only taken this bike for about a 5 min ride so far.. Full exhaust, all new brakes, powdercoat and paint, fix the temp sensor that turns the fan on and a bunch of little stuff to fix all the jimmy riggin that has been done on the bike over the years.

Not trying to venture off topic but having the fan on a switch is the way to go tbh. These bikes run hot and with the switch you can toggle it on as needed (usually when stuck in bumper to bumper traffic), keep in mind that with the Vmax it is normal to get the gauge into the red, then you toggle the fan to drop it back to the mid point. I know myself and the rest of the FL Vmaxers tend to ride this way. Countless others do the same in other geographic areas as well. If your temp gauge is still working then my recommendation would be to leave it as is... You get used to it quickly.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

More power = More gas. ... For best performance and gas milage you need the RIGHT amount of gas, not the most gas.

Man, I was starting to get on my soapbox until I re-read your post and saw the second comment above.

Truism -> shoving mass quantities of fuel into the cylinders only works if intake/compression/ignition/exhaust have been tuned to match.

When I was running BBC Camaros at the track, after major changes, I'd always go down with two or more intake/carb setups and an assortment of jet kits.

With the Vmax, follow the lead (and the time and money) of other folks who have already walked that dog.

Unless you wanna re-invent the wheel, the path has already been trodden.

This is how it was explained to me.

The Vmax is set up rich from the factory.

Rich = safe
Lean= fast.

I have stock head pipes, and slip on mufflers and dropped down to 147.5s from the "stock jetting" of 152.5's.. That was after doing a dyno run, and found out how rich I really was.

I have a stock Max except for the Venture rear end and average 44 mpg in mixed riding (but no stop and go, heavy traffic). Haven't taken a trip since installing the Venture so don't know what trip mileage will be but will be better than the 44 mpg obviously. The next time I go into the carbs, I plan to install 150 jets to replace the stock 152.5's. Got them and some 147.5's from Sean for a really cheap price. Will try the 150's first.

Have had Supertrapp, Kerker and Jardine (slip-on only) mufflers and got tired of the noise so went back to stock mufflers. Never had a full system as I don't like loud systems and all full systems are LOUD.. I know this is heresy in this crowd though.. :biglaugh:

Did try removing the "T" on the airbox, installing a K&N filter and shimming the needles on my first Max with the Jardine slip-ons. Seemed to have better throttle response and run a little better.

To better the original Max performance in any significant way requires a complete exhaust system and proper carb/intake mods. When someone comes up with a way to do that without a lot of noise, I will be interested. :clapping:

redandwhitevespalopez-266835.jpeg

You want mpg, get one of these.....;)

At this point I'm really considering figuring out an extra fuel tank...lol

Mr. Charmr-
Check out
http://www.tourtank.com/

Lots of options, reasonably priced.
As for the Venture final drive - I used one this past summer, mileage increased by about 25 kilometers/tank. If you can get one at a reasonable price, it will pay for itself in no time, especially if you are tanking up in Canada.
Bonus -using the drive lowers the rpm by about 500 in all gears, consequently in top gear at 100kph it's about 3800 - which is below one of the "rattle zones" (4k-4500k) that the bike goes thru. Bottom line- much smoother ride at legal highway speeds.
Cheers!

At this point I'm really considering figuring out an extra fuel tank...lol

Mr. Charmr-
Check out
http://www.tourtank.com/

Lots of options, reasonably priced.
As for the Venture final drive - I used one this past summer, mileage increased by about 25 kilometers/tank. If you can get one at a reasonable price, it will pay for itself in no time, especially if you are tanking up in Canada.
Bonus -using the drive lowers the rpm by about 500 in all gears, consequently in top gear at 100kph it's about 3800 - which is below one of the "rattle zones" (4k-4500k) that the bike goes thru. Bottom line- much smoother ride at legal highway speeds.
Cheers!
I wonder if that tank would mount on a luggage rack on the back of a sissy bar? With the quick disco I could take the sissy bar and tank off when I'm just bombing around town or heading to the track. Might be a cool Idea.

Tourtanks are designed to mount on a luggage rack, but they sell a mounting plate and straps that could be bolted to pretty much anything.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

I had Sean's OD undercut transmission in my old motor and I would regularly get 140+(a few times over 150 miles) from a tank on open road (2 lane) riding. It still provides the regular Vmax fun in gears 1-4 but when just cruising you have the better fuel mileage. The trans will more than likely go back in the next couple years when I have my motor apart again.
The only drawback I found with the trans is when in hooligan mode with other Vmax's once you hit 5th gear the other Vmax's will start running away from you, fast!. That is unless you have some added power to carry the gear on the top end.:eusa_dance:
I also have the 5 gallon tank from Sean that 'm going to install this spring to help push my solo riding distances and when I'm riding with my buddy that has a Gold Wing. He never has to get gas it seems. Once I get the bigger gear and this bigger tank installed I'm hoping for 180+ miles between fill ups. It will be nice but whenever your riding in a group your always going to have to stop for fuel for the smallest tank in the group so not so much a bonus in having the greatest fuel mileage other than paying less for fuel.

Yup all the guys I ride with will have a good 1/4 tank left when I'm bone dry. Would just like to even the odds there for some of the longer trips. I'm not the type of guy that just wants to fly from point a to b though. I'd much rather take a nice backroad and enjoy the ride than hit a hwy and be constantly in and out of traffic.

When Todd and Mike are leading a ride, we stop about every 80 miles... so the rest of the guys can catch up <BMFG>

When Todd and Mike are leading a ride, we stop about every 80 miles... so the rest of the guys can catch up <BMFG>

Well with a very fast VFR and a tuned Hayabusa I highly doubt I'll be waiting for anyone.. lol

I appreciate all the advice but honestly like I've said a few times.. Carb set up confuses the hell outta me. I love riding, I love tinkering but have never got the concept of setting up carbs, especially when I'm dealing with four (even four normal carbs without items such as vboost). If there is a resource out there that you guys could point me towards that would help me out with this I'd really appreciate it as I would like to understand it all. Better yet I know some other forums I've been on have "tech days" for the specific models. Do these happen with the Vmax croud? If so are there any plans for one in Southern Ontario? If not would anyone be interested in hosting one?

^ I'm sure if you talk to veebooster or Thevmaxrider, they'll let you know what's happening in southern Ontario.
And I'm sure someone would be happy to help you out.
There are plenty of Vmax riders in Southern Ontario.
They do a track day every year at the St. Thomas Raceway Park.
Check out the Ontario VMOA Section:
http://www.vmaxforum.net/forumdisplay.php?f=53
And all the info you're likely to ever need about our carbs can be found here:
http://www.vmaxforum.net/forumdisplay.php?f=6

PS
I have a Morgan Carbtune, so if you come down for the Spring Ice Breaker ride in Hamburg, NY (about 15 miles South of the Peace Bridge) this year I'd be happy to walk you though a carb synch.

Back