How do I stop brake squeal?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
any flat surface will do, try if you got a nice concrete floor or kitchen table/counter. if its warped lots you will notice it wobble. if you got a long piece of straight edged metal or large squaring frame might help a little. check to see your calipers are not sticking also, feel any drag when spinning the tire? are the pads wearing out evenly? on same caliper and compared to the other side and along the same pad, in case one piston is stuck.

is there a way to check for true w/out bringing it to the machine shop?

i know mike had said get a piece of glass and some feeler gauges but i don't really have either handy.

today the squeal sounded rotational, like same spot each time. if i can prove that its the rotor then galfer will replace it, but if they get it back and its fine i have to eat the cost of both. ugh. im really really sick of this rear wheel, i've had more f'n problems with it.

i want to just scrap it and get ebc rotor and pads, worked great and they're much more stable than the galfers.

Why not just use EBC HH pads, they will work with Galfer rotors won't they?

any flat surface will do, try if you got a nice concrete floor or kitchen table/counter. if its warped lots you will notice it wobble. if you got a long piece of straight edged metal or large squaring frame might help a little. check to see your calipers are not sticking also, feel any drag when spinning the tire? are the pads wearing out evenly? on same caliper and compared to the other side and along the same pad, in case one piston is stuck.

there is only a tiny drag only in certain parts of the rotation, otherwise no, none at all. when i can get it to act up on the center stand, its always in the same spots, which tells me rotor/wheel not caliper/pads. but yea kitchen counter could work. i'll see what i can do tonight.

Why not just use EBC HH pads, they will work with Galfer rotors won't they?

b/c like i said before it seems rotational, and i'm still trying to get galfer to honor their warranty which is void with ebc pads.

EBC HH pads are not the panacea here, guys.

I have just replaced stock pads with EBC HH pads on the rear and they squeal at slow stops like a pig being slaughtered. They seem fine at speed though. Not a good idea to use your roters to bed in new pads as the heat on both is way too high and roters are not designed to be used for that purpose anyway. I will be removing pads, light sanding them and applying an anti-squeal today. I will post the results after testing.

EBC HH pads are not the panacea here, guys.

I have just replaced stock pads with EBC HH pads on the rear and they squeal at slow stops like a pig being slaughtered. They seem fine at speed though. Not a good idea to use your roters to bed in new pads as the heat on both is way too high and roters are not designed to be used for that purpose anyway. I will be removing pads, light sanding them and applying an anti-squeal today. I will post the results after testing.

i agree. hh are metallic so they won't help. i used organics on my rear and that helped with some stop squeal, basically liquid graphite on the pads themselves.

i have since got new rotors and a rear wheel and don't think its an issue anymore.

I don't think the rear brake needs the power of the HH..

But, usually the best remedy for squealin' brakes is a little hi temp (copper) grease on the back of the brake pad, where it meets the piston.

I don't think the rear brake needs the power of the HH..

But, usually the best remedy for squealin' brakes is a little hi temp (copper) grease on the back of the brake pad, where it meets the piston.
I did this on my brakes when I replaced them last year, no squelin here...

Okay Maxers, I have applied the anti-squeal goop to both the piston edges and the back of the pads where they meet and also lightly sanded the pads on a concrete floor using 100 grit sandpaper. The brake 'chatter' is completely gone and the squeal at stop was lessened but came back within a mile. :bang head:

I am guessing I'll need to replace the rear rotor as the calipers and pads are working just fine. More on this as the money comes in... :shot:

I am guessing I'll need to replace the rear rotor as the calipers and pads are working just fine. More on this as the money comes in...
shot.gif

PM me. I've got a stock rear rotor that I pulled off to make room for one that came with my front Arashis. The bike had like 30k and 7 years. The last time I measured it it was within the tolerances specified by the service manuals, but If your interested, I'll go revisit the measurements.

yours for your best offer. just to get you back on the road feeling safe while you debate a potential upgrade

Regards from my Taptalking Hercules Android

Garrett, the normal reasons have been gone over and over here. I think you have done everything, de-glazed the pads, used crap on the back of the pads etc.

My 2 peso's... If there is a slight warp in the disc, and I mean slight, and one of your caliper pistons is as tight as a fishes arse, maybe that's what is causing the squeal coming back. ie. One pad chattering as it tries to flex the disc back, when it should be giving a little to allow the pad to move.

Or, maybe there is a mouse inside your tire, and he get's scared when he is upside down.

Garrett, the normal reasons have been gone over and over here. I think you have done everything, de-glazed the pads, used crap on the back of the pads etc.

My 2 peso's... If there is a slight warp in the disc, and I mean slight, and one of your caliper pistons is as tight as a fishes arse, maybe that's what is causing the squeal coming back. ie. One pad chattering as it tries to flex the disc back, when it should be giving a little to allow the pad to move.

Or, maybe there is a mouse inside your tire, and he get's scared when he is upside down.
when iwas having my issue my rotor was straight and true, (checked via dial indicator) and had 3 different rotors (new) with multiple different (new) pads tried and that was the only thing that fully fixed it.

Okay Maxers, I have applied the anti-squeal goop to both the piston edges and the back of the pads where they meet and also lightly sanded the pads on a concrete floor using 100 grit sandpaper. The brake 'chatter' is completely gone and the squeal at stop was lessened but came back within a mile. :bang head:

I am guessing I'll need to replace the rear rotor as the calipers and pads are working just fine. More on this as the money comes in... :shot:

FIX FOUND: I replaced the EBC HH pads with originals from, you guessed it, Yamaha. The setup that seems to work best is the EBC HH on the front and OE or organics on the rear.
eusa_dance.gif

when iwas having my issue my rotor was straight and true, (checked via dial indicator) and had 3 different rotors (new) with multiple different (new) pads tried and that was the only thing that fully fixed it.

Which was the only thing? Changing the rotor?
I'm starting to get deja vu! This sounds familiar for some reason.

graphite brake squeal stuff that u put ON the pads

WHAT THE!

So... what you're saying is that different rotors don't fix the problem? And, that different pads don't fix the problem?
Also, you said that graphite stuff didn't actually fix the problem because it came back.

WHAT THE!

So... what you're saying is that different rotors don't fix the problem? And, that different pads don't fix the problem?
Also, you said that graphite stuff didn't actually fix the problem because it came back.

when did i say the issue came back after graphite? i don't remember exactly but dont' think it did. i also think my wheel might have contributed to the issue but that wheel is gone.

Latest posts

Back