How to get the fake tank "lid" open.

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimburnetto

Reaction score
Hey guys, I have been searching the forum for the past couple days, but I can't find this answer so it must be an incredibly dumb question. I have a 91 vmax (just bought it) and I can't get the lid open. I see where the keyhole is, and I can turn the key but I can't lift up or anything on it. Is there a trick to it...?

For what it's worth, the ducati dealership where I bought the bike couldn't open it either. Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

They can be sticky. If the key turns hard try pushing down on the rear edge and turn the key till it stops. While keeping the key turned completely lift up on the rear edge and it should open up. Lift it up 4-5 inches then wriggle it backwards off the front mounts.

On the few that I have opened, it helps to push down on the rear of the faux tank, turn the key, and release the cover.
Mine is pretty particular about it.

Sometimes it can be sticky I agree, so I put some WD40 in the keylock and the mechanism.
If not easily accessible remove the seat driver first, it will be easier to check.

I'd recommend a small amount of light machine oil applied via the key once a year to keep the tumblers free.
Aerosol lubes can a) wash out the lubricant still present and b) be quite volatile and allow the tumblers to stick when it dries out.

Worst case. Remove the seat and reach in from underneath with your fingers.

Sean

Mine you have to push down on the back of the cover to be able to turn the key. If I remember right the key turns clockwise about 1/8 of a turn.

I'd recommend a small amount of light machine oil applied via the key once a year to keep the tumblers free.
Aerosol lubes can a) wash out the lubricant still present and b) be quite volatile and allow the tumblers to stick when it dries out.

I use " Jig-A-Loo " , a quick dry graphite lubricant in a aerosol spray can. Makes your lock & key work like budda !

Thanks guys. I got it. The key turned fine. But for whatever reason, the cover just needed to be yanked up. It is just really sticky.

I appreciate the help!

Back