Hyoung is the leader in sport bikes......

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Would you rather buy a Honda 250 sportbike for $4K or a Hyosung 250 GT for $5K?

http://www.ultimatemotorcycling.com/2012-honda-cbr-250-r-preview

5L65Gc5Ke3Ef3Lf3M5ca2a9bba1f2ebb315cf.jpg

Five thousand dollars???!!! :rofl_200::rofl_200:

I have a friend that got a Hyosung 650 as his first bike. I worked on it for him a couple of times and was definitely not impressed with the engineering or the quality of the parts. I told him right away to get rid of it before it had a major component failure and caused him to go down. A few days later, we were enjoying a spirited ride on a backroad near El Paso, TX and it happened. He was trying to keep up with me on my V65 on a long straight and there was a nice, tight sweeper at the end. Approaching top speed for both bikes near the end of the straight, we both got on the brakes to lay into the turn. As he entered the turn, the rear brakes would not release and he went down at around 50-60mph. He was rashed and bruised a little but was ok. That rear caliper was stuck so bad, I had to cut it off with a grinder. I wish they would ban this inferior brand as well as some of the other no-name chinese made garbage

Its all in what number you get ( if you get one of the first off a new cutter or mold ). I ve seen people praise these bikes. I ve seen them and while the quality isn't great, it definitely isn't 100% garabage.

Todd

Its all in what number you get ( if you get one of the first off a new cutter or mold ). I ve seen people praise these bikes. I ve seen them and while the quality isn't great, it definitely isn't 100% garabage.

Todd

Perhaps their knowledge of bikes is limited and they truly know no difference? :confused2:

G

hyosung might actually make more bikes than any single member of the big 4 (world wide)

They're a Huge Korean conglomerate, making all kinds of stuff.

They make the coolest looking ATM ever.

My personal dealings with them are in the pic below. I installed 8 of these in Arkansas and 4 in Louisanna. They were preferred by the Customer, Entergy, due to cost.

They're HICO 500kV to 230kv single phase autotransformers capable of 760,000,000 VA.
They bank three of them to make a three phase transformer, used at points in the grid where a system voltage change is required. Each one holds around 15,000 gallons of oil.
They were around $1,200,000 each as delivered in crates.

In appearance they are incredibly rugged and "overdone" kind of like 1950'-1960's Russian technology. Rugged but obsolete from the get go.
Like the bikes they appear to be reverse engineered without a complete understanding of the "why" behind certain design elements.

Every single one of them has had excessive weld leaks, oil coming straight through the seam welds at various places on the main tanks.

Total crap and hope I never see one again.

I would never buy one thier bikes, I've looked at a couple on the showroom floor and they too, like the transformers, appear primitive in the design and material details, and poorly executed in the assembly.

I don't think they're garbage either tho. Seem to be about where the Jap bikes were in the 60's.
Remember when Kia and Hyundai were total crap?
Watch out one of these days Hyosung will figure it out too.

Attachments

• hico.jpg
    hico.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 19
I've never done anything with Hyosung bikes, but a friend-of-a-friend had a surprisingly accurate clone of a Virago 250 called a Quijang Tiger. It was so exact a copy you could actually use Yamaha parts on it (found a used Yamaha starter that bolted right on)

The last time I saw it had a total of about 800 miles on it, not exactly high miles or hard use. The motor just had no punch at all....weak even by 250 standards. Other 250's I've rode require you to keep the RPMs up and liberally use full throttle but in general get the job done. This actually seemed to make less power as the RPMs rose, it was the slowest thing I've ever rode. On a long flat straightaway, also known as a highway, I got it to 71mph, and it took easily 30 seconds to reach that speed. However, I was actually getting a little nervous....it just felt like such a rattletrap at that speed. The fork vibrated disconcertingly, the bars started to wobble, there was tremendous vibration from the motor, felt like it was going to lose a wheel at any second. The brakes were awful also, so in case you accidentally managed to get some speed up you might as well put the brakes on Fred Flintstone style.

Back