I got it started!!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Uncle Fester

Reaction score
I finally got the old girl running.The new fuel pump we got in had the inlet and outlet in the wrong orientation and also the wrong mount for under the bracket. So I took them both apart and then put one back together that worked and had the correct mount and inlet and outlet orientation. I also had to replace the line and filter that went from the tank to the inlet on the pump. After getting it starting and letting it run for a little bit I figured out I'm going to have to take the airbox off and replace a few more fuel lines we had a little bit of a leak. It was smoking like a forest fire when we first got it started but I don't think this bike has ran in a good 20 years or more so a little smoke is expected.

Attachments

• VID_20231022_145613993.mp4
    38.6 MB
You could count on a few heat/cool cycles to loosen up those rings to get them to seal again. Some of the ATF/Acetone mix in the cyl heads should help to loosen 'em up (the rings), and get them to act as they're supposed to.

I forget, have you been into the carburetors yet? Sounds like the mixers have some obstructed passages.

You could count on a few heat/cool cycles to loosen up those rings to get them to seal again. Some of the ATF/Acetone mix in the cyl heads should help to loosen 'em up (the rings), and get them to act as they're supposed to.

I forget, have you been into the carburetors yet? Sounds like the mixers have some obstructed passages.
I've done nothing beyond the fuel pump. I'd like to take the carbs and clean them and then retune it all.

Some of the ATF/Acetone mix in the cyl heads should help to loosen 'em up (the rings), and get them to act as they're supposed to.
Given that he has the engine running is it a good idea to put that into the cylinders (stand to be corrected) and IMO a better option would be one of the engine treatment designed for the cleaning process. I'd also run some fuel system cleaner through the carbs as well.

Given that he has the engine running is it a good idea to put that into the cylinders (stand to be corrected) and IMO a better option would be one of the engine treatment designed for the cleaning process. I'd also run some fuel system cleaner through the carbs as well.
The fuel does have sea foam in it.

If you choose to use the ATF/Acetone mix in the cylinders, then blow it out by turning over the engine, plugs-out of course, and change the oil so you're removing any of the solvent mix from the cylinders and the crankcase, you will be doing your engine a favor. I'd say that if the engine is blowing smoke as it struggles to run on all-4 cylinders, that's proof of the rings being gummed-up. The ATF/Acetone should help greatly in allowing the engine to free-up its rings. Turning the engine over manually, and not on the starter, a couple times a day and allowing the engine to soak for say, 5 days, should free-up those rings. Proof of how effective it is could be demonstrated by siphoning out any residual solvent is in there, and then plugs-out, turning the engine over, and taking a compression check both before using the ATF/Acetone soak, and after the ATF/Acetone soak. The rings becoming un-gummed, and allowing a better ring seal, your compression should be higher after the solvent soak than it was before you began the solvent soak.

The engine should smoke much-less too, if the rings are un-gummed, and as I mentioned before, a few heat/cool cycles should help.

I am only a hobbyist, and not a pro mechanic. If you want to check online for info on the use of an ATF/Acetone solvent for a penetrant, there are numerous people who use it and who have had success with it. I use PB Blaster or the ATF/Acetone on my equipment. It works for me.

If you choose to use the ATF/Acetone mix in the cylinders, then blow it out by turning over the engine, plugs-out of course, and change the oil so you're removing any of the solvent mix from the cylinders and the crankcase, you will be doing your engine a favor. I'd say that if the engine is blowing smoke as it struggles to run on all-4 cylinders, that's proof of the rings being gummed-up. The ATF/Acetone should help greatly in allowing the engine to free-up its rings. Turning the engine over manually, and not on the starter, a couple times a day and allowing the engine to soak for say, 5 days, should free-up those rings. Proof of how effective it is could be demonstrated by siphoning out any residual solvent is in there, and then plugs-out, turning the engine over, and taking a compression check both before using the ATF/Acetone soak, and after the ATF/Acetone soak. The rings becoming un-gummed, and allowing a better ring seal, your compression should be higher after the solvent soak than it was before you began the solvent soak.

The engine should smoke much-less too, if the rings are un-gummed, and as I mentioned before, a few heat/cool cycles should help.

I am only a hobbyist, and not a pro mechanic. If you want to check online for info on the use of an ATF/Acetone solvent for a penetrant, there are numerous people who use it and who have had success with it. I use PB Blaster or the ATF/Acetone on my equipment. It works for me.
The engine has already quit smoking. It only smoked really bad for the first few minutes. Thank y'all for all the info. I think my next step is going to be removing and cleaning the carbs. And make sure all the other fluids are changed.

I'm familiar with ATF/ Acetone as a re;lease agent and might consider it if the engine was completely seize but probably only then if I was going to dismantle it.
For an engine that is free to turn over then my 'weapon' of choice, as already indicated, would be something like one of the Forte products or similar if not available your side of the pond.

On the advice of a mechanic friend, I have always used an ATF/Seafoam mixture as a means of cleaning the rings in engines that have sat for long periods. I even managed to get a siezed engine free with this. He said the ATF as well as being a lubricant has some detergent properties, and the Seafoam is great for old fuel deposits as it can be used as a fuel injector cleaner.

Back