Idel speed

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Biotank

Reaction score
I was trying to take my gas tank off and remove the rust, I thought it will be a easy job, so I didn't bother to read anything..

so the story start, I move my bike to the garage, then put it on side stand, as I was standing on the right side of the bike, but I guess I didn't have the kick stand all the way out, the bike dropped, after I let go of my hand. It suffers very minor damage. (need to replace bar end, clutch lever and shifter)

Then I start to take the seat off to observe where can I get the tank out, I start by disconnect battery, starter relay, ignition coil lead, and starter relay lead. after couple hours of try this try that, I decide to put everything back, and doing some search on web.

after I put everything back, I start the vmax with the choke, and it starts fine, but after couple mins of warm up, I shut the choke, the idle becomes very low, like 500 rpm or lower.

my question is, will disconnect battery, starter relay, ignition coil lead, and starter relay lead, or dropping the bike causing the idle speed change ?
should I be worry ? or just adjust idle screw will be okay ?

Thanks in advance ~

Probably just jostled the linkage. It's pretty sensitive and get get out of sync just by whacking the throttle open. Adjust idle and then check your sync.

my question is, will disconnecting battery, starter relay, ignition coil lead, and starter relay lead, or dropping the bike causing the idle speed change ?
should I be worry ? or just adjust idle screw will be okay ?

Battery - No

Starter relay - No

Ignition coil lead - Do you mean HT lead? - Possible if you haven't got it screwed in to the coil properly and the motor is running on three cylinders.
Starter relay lead - No

Dropping the bike - Possible if you damaged a spark plug cap or dislodged a lead. These screw in to the cap so should be checked. As mentioned before the linkage may have been disturbed when heaving the bike back upright.

Before re-setting the idle suggest that you check the HT system first.

You may have had some trash in the bottom of the carbs that got shook up when it dropped. Simple to use a paper cup and drain each carb to see if this may be a possibility...

Good Luck

maleko89 : Thanks for the information, and your carb sync write up is super useful!!

MaxMidnight : hum... HT lead ? I will take a photo of the parts and show u which component I am talking about.

SpecOps13 : what am I looking for after drain each carb ? do I drain it out completely ?

Any trash in the carbs should show up as tiny black particles and you'll be able to see them if you use a paper cup with
a white bottom. Only need to drain about an inch into the cup from one carb at a time.. Good Luck getting a fix.

finally get a chance to go back and work on my bike, I just took out the gas tank and waiting for the tank I order on ebay, won't be able to test until I get the tank.

MaxMidnight: here is the photo, I disconnected the components that I highlight in the photo, also the reference diagram from the service manual

Attachments

• UM.jpg
    UM.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_0426.jpg
    IMG_0426.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 20
Back