idle running at 2800?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Legion

Reaction score
Hey guys,
my name is Lundy and am new to the forum and to the Vmax as well. I purchased a 2000 w/ 22,000 miles on it, just got it yesterday from the Chicago area. The idle is running between 2700-2900 rpm. The bike is supposedly dynojetted, dont know what stage. My multipart question(s) is this:
1> Is this normal?
2> if not, what can I do? Where exactly is the idle thumb screw on the left side and is this all I need to do?
3> Can I perform the "shotgun" cleaning method as described by lvlhead on his site w/ dynojets?

Alot to respond to, I know, sorry. I look forward to your replys.

Lundy (Legion)

Hey guys,
my name is Lundy and am new to the forum and to the Vmax as well. I purchased a 2000 w/ 22,000 miles on it, just got it yesterday from the Chicago area. The idle is running between 2700-2900 rpm. The bike is supposedly dynojetted, dont know what stage. My multipart question(s) is this:
1> Is this normal?
2> if not, what can I do? Where exactly is the idle thumb screw on the left side and is this all I need to do?
3> Can I perform the "shotgun" cleaning method as described by lvlhead on his site w/ dynojets?

Alot to respond to, I know, sorry. I look forward to your replys.

Lundy (Legion)

The thumb screw is under the carbs on the left hand side in between. You can't miss it.

The shotgun WILL work!

Welcome,
Chris

If turning out the thumb screw does not slow the idle speed down try turning the throttle closed. If the engine dies on you the carb sync is way out, I had this problem and it took a while to work it out. Sorry should have said it is not normal the idle speed is about 1000 rpm.

Cheers,
Alan.

First of all get yourself a workshop manual here so you will know where to find these parts and how to service your bike.

The high idle can be caused by simple things like..

1) Idle screw incorrectly adjusted. Idle should be about 1,000 rpm
2) Throttle cables incorrectly adjusted, cable cases not correctly seated or adjusted. Cables or twist grip sticking. Clean, Lube and adjust.
3) Carb butterfly valves out of synch. Re-synch carbs.
4) Carb linkages loose or incorrectly adjusted.

Does make me wonder why the idle is set so high in the first place.

5) Idle jets obstructed and idle adjustment raised to maintain engine operation. Service carbs.

Not being a smart-ass , but you're sure the choke is not on, right ? It's on the left side in the front of the carb. assbly.:ummm:

First of all, thank you all for your responses. I have always been one to not be afraid to call a spade a spade...so I must call myself out on this. Richwrench, the choke was on. :bang head: No other way to say it. You were not being a smart ass. I was just an ass. Sorry guys.
The idle with the choke off is still abit high at 1500, but thats workable. I can use the info 4gasem gave about the idle screw. 4gasem, do you mind if I post a pic to confirm the correct screw? I dont have a mechanic out here yet and dont want to mess anything up. Thanks again guys, I love this place.

Legion (Lundy)

Welcome to the forum Lundy, glad you found the problem.

And a :thumbs up: to Richwrench for a nice peice of analytical troubleshooting. That was impressive, it's so easy to get 'lost in the weeds' sometimes.

Now, 'shotgun,' fuel filter, sync and new plugs and you'll have a new bike Lundy!! :punk:

Lundy, don't feel bad - after I installed a clutch slave cylinder I stalled my bike about 20 times because I forgot to put the side stand up - DOH ! Shizit happens - welcome to the club. :biglaugh:

yea on another forum I had someone who couldn't turn the key in the ignition after trailing the bike back to their home.

I suggested wiggling the bars as you would a steering wheel in a cage and it did the trick:eusa_dance:

(that after 5 other people gave very elaborate possible reasons and fixes :clapping:)

'Shotgun,' fuel filter, sync and new plugs...that is my plan. I just saw a link to a carbtune on ebay. I might have to check it out. Anyways guys, I've already said, but I'm going to again...you guys rock! This forum kicks ass; not just for the info available but also for the willingness of its members to help out a moron like myself. Thanks again.

'Shotgun,' fuel filter, sync and new plugs...that is my plan. I just saw a link to a carbtune on ebay. I might have to check it out. Anyways guys, I've already said, but I'm going to again...you guys rock! This forum kicks ass; not just for the info available but also for the willingness of its members to help out a moron like myself. Thanks again.

Not a moron! Just ignorant! Pictures are MORE than welcome!

MORON:
1.a person who is notably stupid or lacking in good judgment. 2. A person of borderline intelligence in a former classification of mental retardation, having an intelligence quotient of 50 to 69.

IGNORANT:
1.lacking in knowledge or training; unlearned: an ignorant man. 2.lacking knowledge or information as to a particular subject or fact: ignorant of quantum physics. 3.uninformed; unaware. 4.due to or showing lack of knowledge or training: an ignorant statement.

I tell you what 4gasem, this forum gives up a lot of info...sometimes too much to keep straight in my head. Gotta formulate a plan ad stick to it. Work on one thing at a time.

Not a moron! Just ignorant! Pictures are MORE than welcome!

MORON:
1.a person who is notably stupid or lacking in good judgment. 2. A person of borderline intelligence in a former classification of mental retardation, having an intelligence quotient of 50 to 69.

IGNORANT:
1.lacking in knowledge or training; unlearned: an ignorant man. 2.lacking knowledge or information as to a particular subject or fact: ignorant of quantum physics. 3.uninformed; unaware. 4.due to or showing lack of knowledge or training: an ignorant statement.

Uh-oh!! Think that's me Chris, I don't know jack about quantum physics!! :biglaugh: :biglaugh:

Don't label yourself as a moron, because you are not. Sometimes we get off track and are sure it is a complicated solution to our problem when it is something easy. I'm sure we've all had something similar like troubleshooting for hours a no start situation only to find out there was no gas in the bike! :doh:
Check the easy stuff first! :biglaugh:

Latest posts

Back