Ignitor box prices

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Machine1964

Reaction score
Why is it that most stock Vmax parts can be had on the cheap, but an ignitor box can't be found for less than $150.I'm on a budget that you shouldn't have to work under.I scratch built. a nitrous system for slightly more than what a used ignitor box goes for.Ya the headlight on my bike cost over $250,but it took me almost 2 years to save for it.I can't just go out and buy the trick of the week part just because I want try it.Every part I put on my bike is there because I researched it and knew it was the part I needed.I have very few spare parts laying around because I don't have the room and most parts I take off my bike have to be sold to finance new parts.Is an ignitor made of unobtainium?Just saying.

Sorry bout the rant.It's been 5 weeks since I rode my bike and I'm missing the stress relief.

Last edited:
You just missed Alorio's for $139. Where were you? I wasn't looking for one and still saw it.
They come around reasonable bro. Keep on your toes. None said keeping a Vmax was cheap.

A buck-&-a-half is cheap, to me. The dealers demand $$$ for them, so one working for that kind of pricing is cheap.

I hear ya about not being able to do what you like because of tight $. I put-off my bikes for quite awhile because there were other priorities, I just read the mags and bought stuff when I could to prepare for being able to get my bikes back where they belong. At least I have a couple where they should be, not at 100%, but usable. Continue to live within your means so you don't have to liquidate your bike to pay bills.

One from yamaha would easily be double, if not triple that.

I'm surprised the box in your '92 went bad. The digital boxes tend to be pretty reliable. The 85-89 guys are the ones always looking for new ignitions.

Best bit if you really need to get one on the cheap is to troll craigslist, do a few searches, maybe find someone parting out a vmax (90 or up though otherwise the ignitor won't match). Otherwise, you're just going to have to cough up the dough. $150 for an ignition box really isn't that bad. Be thankful they're even out there for sale....bikes from that era that were only made for a couple years, ignition boxes can be impossible to find, and when they do pop up, the seller wants stupid money for them.

Otherwise you could do a custom ECU. There was a group buy of Ignitech ECU's a while ago, not sure if there are any left. They were plug-and-play aside from some simple wiring to control the v-boost also.

Latest posts

Back