I'm This close

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PATMAX

Reaction score
So thanks to the Forum member from Virginia letting us know about a Gen II available at a HD dealership scaring all the V twins. Got a price agreed upon that I could live with provided they get the bike to me in Florida. I even agreed to go to Daytona in the spring to pick it up. That is five hours one way for me. Well, the owner says they have no room to bring it down. So that's where I am. If they ship it to me or at least get it to Daytona we got a deal. How much do you think a dealer loses every month they sit on a bike? Who knows, maybe they will give me a ring that they will ship it afterall. Crossing my fingers
PATMAX

gonna hijack for a couple posts. my apologies. how much do y'all figure a gen 2 (in relatively superb condition and mileage) would cost in about three years time. that's when i should be able to afford one. i'm thinking maybe a 2010 vintage???

Best of luck with the deal!

gonna hijack for a couple posts. my apologies. how much do y'all figure a gen 2 (in relatively superb condition and mileage) would cost in about three years time. that's when i should be able to afford one. i'm thinking maybe a 2010 vintage???

I'd be willing to say they would probably be hanging out in the $9500-$10000 range for an 09' or 10' in three years.

Ninjaneer, I don't mind saying I'm paying $11,700 but want the bike delivered on top of that. Its an 09 with some decent extras like exhaust and some other goodies. Don't know if the stock parts come with it. I don't think that is a bad price for under 5K miles on it so it has factory warranty still I think. If I don't get it, I'll just write it off as something that was not meant to be. I appreciate eveyones enthusiasm and no I don't plan on selling any of the Gen 1s just yet.
PATMAX

Best of luck to you PATRICK.The GEN II with my name on it is going to be 16500, and thats buying it from my son, he tells me theres no more room that he's already into the dealer holdback.I dont think you'll be seeing leftover GEN II's with no miles for 10000.

Great deal Pat. Best of luck with it. If closer i'd be interested in delivering it. I'm waiting on insurance quotes now for delivery to a customers door, of any motorcycle in an enclosed weather tight trailer. I have to confine the area to the Northeast for now. Anybody think this can fly on a part time basis? (sorry about the high jack).
Steve

With the right tow vehicle, I think this can be a worthwhile endeavor. The Northeast has it's share of hilly terrain so it would have to be good six cylinder at the least and I prefer full four wheel drive as you never know where the customer will be asking you to load/ unload. I have both enclosed and open trailers. I got my open one reasonable and would pay for itself in two or so deliverys. My 16x7 was purchased when I moved from Ohio to SW Florida so just in the savings of a professional mover, paid for itself! Don't forget insurance though. One mishap or theft could sink you! I'm just saying. If you are like me and love the open road and sights unseen, I say go for it! You never what your customers can turn you onto like an old Triumph, CBX, basketcase HD or Indian. You'd be surprised what people squirell and willing to barter with or sell cheap! The American Picker of cycles! Good luck!
PS. Waugh HD emailed me today and said "No Dice" on delivery. Guess I'll have to stimulate the economy another way!

Sorry to hear it fell through, Pat! You would think they would barter with you on the delivery. I would love to fly down and ride it to your place in sunny Fla!! Daydreaming...................!!!

Pardon me for asking, but why won't you just tow a trailer up to Virginia to pick it up? I drove my truck from SW Michigan to St. Louis, Missouri (an 8 hour one-way trip) to pick up mine sight unseen other than pictures. (If I hadn't liked what I found or hated it after the test ride I guarantee you I would have turned around and come home empty handed.) Rented a motorcycle trailer from Uhaul (only $15 per day) and with gas prices at $3.50/gal at the time it cost me about $225 total (including trailer and some toll fees) for the round trip. I packed up a cooler with some sammiches, granola bars and Mt. Dew, didn't stop for anything other than gas or bathroom breaks and made it back home 18+ hours after I left. It sucked at the time, but I'm glad I have my gen2 and I think it was worth it. Paid $12K for mine, but it's unmodified (which is what I wanted) and it only had 1966 miles on it. Included in the sale were a rear T-rex stand, the special order display/numbered tags and a cover for it, too. Is it still a ridiculous amount to pay for a summer toy? Sure, but I wanted it and was willing to raid the piggy bank for one at the right price and condition.

If you're willing to spend $11,700 (a damn good price with those mods and mileage) what's another couple hundred bucks and some time out of your life to go pick it up? No offense intended, just askin'. If you don't like it or something doesn't seem right you're only out some time and a couple hundred dollars in expenses. Still better than spending $12K on a turd. Just my 2 cents.

Scott

I think 99% is covered Pat, thanks for the vote of confidence. Again thanks

Steve

With the right tow vehicle, I think this can be a worthwhile endeavor. The Northeast has it's share of hilly terrain so it would have to be good six cylinder at the least and I prefer full four wheel drive as you never know where the customer will be asking you to load/ unload. I have both enclosed and open trailers. I got my open one reasonable and would pay for itself in two or so deliverys. My 16x7 was purchased when I moved from Ohio to SW Florida so just in the savings of a professional mover, paid for itself! Don't forget insurance though. One mishap or theft could sink you! I'm just saying. If you are like me and love the open road and sights unseen, I say go for it! You never what your customers can turn you onto like an old Triumph, CBX, basketcase HD or Indian. You'd be surprised what people squirell and willing to barter with or sell cheap! The American Picker of cycles! Good luck!
PS. Waugh HD emailed me today and said "No Dice" on delivery. Guess I'll have to stimulate the economy another way!

Just some background on why delivery is part of my offer. It's eight hours just for me to get out of Florida on the way to northern Virginia. Maybe 22-23 hours straight through if that could be done which I can't. So let's make it three days travel time. If I left after work during my two days off, I'd only miss one days pay ($200) but probably need another day to recover. ($400). I pay about $3.35 gal for gas in a SUV pulling a 16 ft trailer I suppose 12-14 mpg tops. 2,200 miles round trip? You do the math on the gas cost alone. I can sleep in my car but will eat at least six times I guess. Being an "out of state" bike, Florida hammers me on the registration plus I'll pay 7% tax to title it. Cost add up fast. Bike delivery cross country was 600-800 last I checked with occassional specials for Laconia, Myrtle Beach, Dayrona and Sturgis. Dealer says he is coming to Daytona but can't squeeze me on the trailer. OK, how about splitting the delivery? No dice.
So for me, paying more for a local bike makes much more sense.
In a nutshell, that's my story and I'm stickin to it!

Wow, I didn't realize it was that far of a drive for you. I understand, my limit was 10 hours one way or less, so I get the whole delivery or no deal stipulation. Good luck with your search.

Scott

Wow, I didn't realize it was that far of a drive for you. I understand, my limit was 10 hours one way or less, so I get the whole delivery or no deal stipulation. Good luck with your search.

Scott

"Sal," you gettin' ready to stick that LeMans into some pole barn out of the MI winter for the season?

I think "PatMax' should get w/a budd w/a p-u & hit the road. Here's a pic I took of a platform I had a friend w/a TIG welder fabricate to my design for carrying loads of various lengths, just slide it in/out to meet whatever length you needed to accommodate your load. "Sixteen -ft. trailer? We doan' need no stinkin' sixteen-ft. trailer!"

Unfortunately a low-life &*(*)**&(%$!@#@## thief stole it from my yard as I was putting finishing touches on it, a license plate relocation mount and lighting. My goal was to be able to swap it in/out in ~5 minutes. The lighting would use my vehicle's 7-conductor receptacle. The only part which would have required tools was transferring the license plate.

When I trailered my 54" X 120" lowboy converted tilt/float-on boat trailer to Ft Myers from Miami to deliver the 'a113ycat' I got 19 mpg w/my GMC Canyon which has a 5 cyl aluminum "Atlas" series GM motor, 242 h.p. and 242 ft. lb. torque w/a o.d. auto tranny. If I had been able to use my platform, I would have eliminated the trailer and probably would have seen my mileage jump into the low 20's or better. My best mileage on the interstate was 24 mpg holding it to 60 mph on cruise.

Attachments

• Olympus.01Nov 2009 Thanksgiving 057.jpg
    Olympus.01Nov 2009 Thanksgiving 057.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 13
  • Olympus.01Nov 2009 Thanksgiving 055.jpg
    Olympus.01Nov 2009 Thanksgiving 055.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 12

Scott

someone in college once asked me how long it took for me to drive back to my home town. i told 7-8 hours depending on the speed traps. he replied, but "i thought you lived in florida?" he was simply dumbfounded that one could drive 8 hours and still be in a state. hahahaha:rofl_200:

"Sal," you gettin' ready to stick that LeMans into some pole barn out of the MI winter for the season?

She was put to bed for the winter about a month ago and the truck shortly after I got back from picking up my gen2. I live in an apartment, so it's a good thing I have friend's with pole barns. :biglaugh:

someone in college once asked me how long it took for me to drive back to my home town. i told 7-8 hours depending on the speed traps. he replied, but "i thought you lived in florida?" he was simply dumbfounded that one could drive 8 hours and still be in a state. hahahaha:rofl_200:

Yeah, I was thinking back to my spring break days when we would drive from MI to Daytona in 22 hours, so I was like... WTF? 22 hours from FL to VA? Really? Google confirmed that from the very southern part of FL like Homestead to Orange, VA was 18 hours. Hmmm... I'll be damned. :biglaugh:

Scott

Virginia , my home state prior to Georgia , is like that , East to West . I'm thinking there are a lot of others in this great country of ours. :punk:

Fire-Medic, sweet set up you had there! Too bad someone else is benefiting from the fruits of your labor. Heck, if it is anything like this side of the state, they may have scrapped it for the metal.
Maybe a Gen2 will come up for sale local. You say you have been to Ft Myers? That is my backyard. If big boats are your thing, we have Nor Tech here in town. More money than sense!

Latest posts

Back