In over my head....

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tkdtuffgirl2003

Reaction score
For Christmas I got some new turn signals and mirrors for my VMax (should be on every girls wish list) I started to install them on Christmas day and ran into a few snags that delayed my work a bit.
Long story short, I got the lights on and working and now my bike won't start....
I put it on a trickle charger last night - that didn't help. I checked the connections, ground, fuses....nothing....
I was able to jump start it off of another bike and it worked fine but would not start again after I shut it off.
Battery? Short?
Help!
Thanks -
Beth:ummm:

Jump start it from the other bike again, but this time, and with the seat still removed, put a volt meter across the battery terminals and tell us what voltage reading your bike is putting out while at idle speed. Also, raise the RPM's a bit and report back that voltage as well.

This will determine if your charging system is working or not. Perhaps your battery is still fine, but simply needs a good charging from an external charger. Trickle chargers are really not the weapon of choice to charge a fully discharged battery.

Does it do anything when you try to fire it up on battery only? Lights, engine crank at all, clicking, etc.

Might have a grounding issue that is being resolved while connected to another bike.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

When I turn the key on - the lights come on like normal. When I flip the run switch it makes it's little sound like normal. When I push the starter - the lights dim (like normal) and it will attempt to turn over once...then I get nothing other then lights and a slight attempt to turn over.
I spent more time with my voltage meter yesterday then my boyfriend. I didn't write down the numbers from it but I will and get back to you all.
Can I post videos on here? Maybe that would be easier to show what it is and is not doing.
Thanks for your help!
Beth

Sounds like you no longer have sufficient cranking amps. Easiest way to confirm is to pop out battery and take it to an auto parts store for a quick test (usually a free service).

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

For Christmas I got some new turn signals and mirrors for my VMax (should be on every girls wish list) I started to install them on Christmas day and ran into a few snags that delayed my work a bit.
Long story short, I got the lights on and working and now my bike won't start....
I put it on a trickle charger last night - that didn't help. I checked the connections, ground, fuses....nothing....
I was able to jump start it off of another bike and it worked fine but would not start again after I shut it off.
Battery? Short?
Help!
Thanks -
Beth:ummm:

Heck I seen your posts title and was thinking " oh crap he got married!" :bang head:

Id first confirm that the battery is ok, i have see it before where some guys(bikers) lol bump the on/off switch to the off position, so check that to, also sticking starter button will cause this but i think your headlight would be off not sure, any how if you got stock turn signals you will be ok but if you got led signals you will notice they will blink alot faster. There is a cure for that to on here. Good luck im sure you will get it.

I'm going to take the battery to the parts store to have it tested. I'm pretty sure that's the issue. I will update later tomorrow when I try that out!
I did get LED lights that blink faster! I didn't know there was a fix for that but I will try to find that too!
Thanks for all of the help!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ms. Tuffgirl -
I'm guessing your problem is just a worn-out battery. If so, the Odyssey 680 dry-cell is probably the most popular replacement used, among members of this forum. It lasts and lasts, and doesn't require trickle charging if the bike is laid up for extended periods of time.
Also FYI - keep your battery/charging system up to snuff, as well as the overall tune of the bike. You want the engine to fire up with minimal fuss, after only a few turns. Extended time on the starter button, with the bike turning over slowly, is thought to contribute to another well-known problem with these bikes - starter clutches that loosen up, or break components. It's a fairly labor intensive/expensive fix, that you want to avoid for as long as possible.
Cheers, and welcome to the forum!
p.s. - most of the regular contributers get to be known for individual expertise or specialties. One fella has a reputation as the go-to carburetor guy. Another regulary wins trophies for his blinged-out chrome beauty. Still another is known as the absolute best vendor/advisor for the V-max.
And me, you ask??
I'm the handsome one, "the lady-killer", the male eye candy. Tough job, but one of us has to do it.:punk:

Once you figure out if it is the battery and if you have to buy a standard lead acid battery then you need to invest in a Battery Tender charger. The little green charger is IMO the best on the market. The newest version is water proof and comes with a pigtail you can connect to your battery and the other end is a 2 prong quick disconnect plug. You can route it to a convenient location like near the side cover and when you are ready to leave the bike sitting for a while, you just plug in the charger and then connect the other end and leave it. I've left a battery on one for 6 months and the battery was like new when I used it again. The charger has smart sensing technology or something like that which is much better for a standard battery than the old traditional trickle charger. My Battery Tender is almost 8 years old and I have had no problems with it. Just my 2 cents

I'm running 2 Odyssey batteries in My Vmax's. One is going on 7 years the other is 3 years. Both will hold 13 volts a day after charging and high 12's for weeks. I know they cost a lot but if you need a battery and don't want to buy one every couple years, the cost averages out. Just a thought if you do need a battery.

Good Luck,

I have the generic version of this....Panasonic LCX1220P....its an Acid Glass Mat (AGM) battery. Its sealed, deep cycle marine, and fits perfectly...and after doing a search Ive seen them or the equivalent going for 40 dollars or less.

Excellent battery that comes in a 22 AH version too. I don't know how long they last yet. But going on my 4th season. I've never trickle charged it.
Steve-o

I have the generic version of this....Panasonic LCX1220P....its an Acid Glass Mat (AGM) battery. Its sealed, deep cycle marine, and fits perfectly...and after doing a search Ive seen them or the equivalent going for 40 dollars or less.

http://www.vmaxoutlaw.com/tech/battery.htm

I have one of that variety stuffed into my 09 from this past summer. $37.00 - delivered. Cranks like a champ, and if it don't last..........so what. Awesome price I couldn't pass up. lol

Back