Incoming!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RagnarD

Reaction score
Aloha gents;
Just got my first V-max yesterday and am looking forward to getting it in running order. It's a 1993, about 26,000 miles on it, mostly stock. Known issues include dead (as in kaput) battery, and no action at all on the clutch and rear brake. Unknown issues include... umm... yeah, well, that's why they're called unknown now isn't it. It sat in a garage for most of the last 2 years, so I'm sure some gremlins are waiting in there.

So I've got the battery changed out (haven't tested yet) and have a bottle of DOT4 ready and waiting and the rest will have to get in line.

Anyway, just wanted to say hi and warn you: noob questions incoming for the next few weeks, thanks in advance!

And whoever did that Playboy birthday thread DEFINITELY deserves an award!

Mike

Welcome Mike! Lots 'O info here. Check out the VMF links button above as well for some great links to other how to sites and parts vendors. Check out the good and bad parts vendors threads so that you have a leg up on the rest of the NooB's

I would recommend you get a few cans of non-chlorinated brake clean and really clean the master cylinders out with them before bothering with the bleeding.

Check out the "crimp mod" which is something you'll want to do as well.

Cheers,
Chris

Which Island are you from?

Hey Chris,
Oahu, but sad to say I'm not from here, just stationed here for the past 3 years. One more year to go, we're trying to make the most of it.

So for anyone following... the battery change went great, bleeding the brakes went great (I didn't get the cleaner post until after it was done, but I'll file that away for next time for sure) and then there's the clutch...

While bleeding, and bleeding, and bleeding, I thought "man, why are there still bubbles coming out? and in such even intervals?" BING, the light came on, I looked under the bike, and sure enough there's a nice puddle of brake fluid. So that'll be another project after I get the oil changed. No idea where it's coming from yet, and not familiar enough with the clutch to make a guess.

Last but not least, I'm shooting for an oil change, but am thinking about using a solvent/cleaner (Gunk maybe?) inside for 5 minutes of running before I drain. Any thoughts? I guess at some point I'm going to have to move this to the appropriate area huh...

Thanks all,
Mike

I just purchased my second Vmax. Sold the first one six years ago and have wanted another ever since. I knew how valuable forums are for experienced answers so I joined this one. Glad to be here.

GP

Back