Indians return to bonneville

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This was in the forum mcy newsfeed before Rusty posted the Forbes article. This is a style exercise that Indian intends to run besides display. A good business move, drum up interest and get the publicity. Do they expect to win? Set records? Probably not but the free publicity they get would cost $$$$ if they bought it.

Among the Spirit of Munro, Don Canet's Pikes Peak run, and now this lakester Bonneville style theme bike, they are appealing to the gearheads of the mcy market, and are 'mining' the interest that these and other mcy enthusiasts have for interesting hardware.

I welcome such investment in the market, their out of pocket costs for these is rewarded many times over for sites like motorcycle news daily, forbes, and the mcy magazines to say nothing of wired.com and other techie sites where lifestyle and tech are revered.

There is a serious kool factor in this design. I'd love to take it for a blast down the flats. Once you've ridden an old iron head Sportster everywhere, anything else is a safety upgrade. No battery on a 69 XLCH! My 89 Vmax would have looked like a space ship from the future in the 70's. Front brake? That cable got removed all the time back in the day.And the back drum brakes were like dragging your feet.
biglaugh.gif

Those were the days, I'm glad I survived them. Many of my Brothers didn't, God bless them.

There is a serious kool factor in this design. I'd love to take it for a blast down the flats. Once you've ridden an old iron head Sportster everywhere, anything else is a safety upgrade. No battery on a 69 XLCH! My 89 Vmax would have looked like a space ship from the future in the 70's. Front brake? That cable got removed all the time back in the day.And the back drum brakes were like dragging your feet.
biglaugh.gif

Those were the days, I'm glad I survived them. Many of my Brothers didn't, God bless them.

My riding buddy with whom I go to Daytona every year has two iron-barrel Sportsters (1970 & 1976) and a Shovelhead (1980 80 cu.in. Lowrider he bought new). A glutton for punishment, I guess, but he's owned the Stars & Bars since a young adult.

One of my firefighter friends had a magneto-sparked Sportster. More than once when I went to his apt to go riding, he would spend a long time trying to get it going, kicking, until he would finally give up and push-start it. Since I had a H-1 two-stroke triple, and it invariably would start on one or two kicks, the idea of not being able to get his bike going fueled all sorts of jokes about H-D, and the stereotypes.

Indian appears to be doing the right things to honor the past while keeping an eye on the future market. These bikes I hope attract paying customers to the marque, like the 500 & 750 metric twins should do for H-D.

I wish Indian nothing but the best...:punk:

And you guys are spot on with the old Harleys...my 49 Panhead was a beast to start...and keep running...:bang head:...but I rode it for 20 years... I was a lot younger back then...:worthy:

Back