Installed LED, now bike won't charge.

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eVMAX

Reaction score
I installed an LED light bar on the max yesterday, now the bike won't hold a charge. I am getting roughly 12.00 volts at idle. Bench tested the stator and it checks out. Could the new light have fried the regulator? Anyone else have charging issues after installing auxiliary lights? Battery, stator, and regulator are all brand new. Before I replace the regulator I wanted to see if anyone else has run into this issue. Bike was charging over 13 volts prior to light installation. I also have the crimp bypassed and solid clean grounds. Thank you for the help!

I installed an LED light bar on the max yesterday, now the bike won't hold a charge. I am getting roughly 12.00 volts at idle. Bench tested the stator and it checks out. Could the new light have fried the regulator? Anyone else have charging issues after installing auxiliary lights? Battery, stator, and regulator are all brand new. Before I replace the regulator I wanted to see if anyone else has run into this issue. Bike was charging over 13 volts prior to light installation. I also have the crimp bypassed and solid clean grounds. Thank you for the help!

I would begin troubleshooting the problem by disconnecting the light bar, to see if charging numbers go back to normal (although 13 volts seems a tad low. Is that idle voltage, or voltage with the motor spooled up some?)
What make is the light bar, and how many amps is it supposed to draw?
Cheers!
p.s. - although new, always eliminate the battery as a source of charging problems, before replacing anything else.

Thank you very much for the feedback! I ended up cleaning all of the connections and the ground. I am now back to 14 V roughly with the LED bar installed! It turns out it wasn't the LED bar after all. I then had some gas coming out of the hose under the scoop and that was resolved with some carb cleaner and some light tapping on the gummed up carb. We are back up and running!

Glad to hear you got it worked out.

PS
Where did you get the LED light you used to replace the reflector ?
Can you post a link ?

Attachments

• eVmax-LED-tailight-reflector.jpg
    eVmax-LED-tailight-reflector.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 46
  • eVmax-LED-tailight-reflector-2.jpg
    eVmax-LED-tailight-reflector-2.jpg
    118.6 KB · Views: 39
A lot cheaper then our version but not as nice looking (in my opinion)

Attachments

• 2hq4jdi.jpg
    2hq4jdi.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_20140521_123702_338.jpg
    IMG_20140521_123702_338.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_20140508_163618_303.jpg
    IMG_20140508_163618_303.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 20
Back