VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here is an in-depth tool comparison between a snap-on Impact, and a Harbor freight Impact.

http://mwsc.speedsociety.com/impact-wrench-comparison-snap-on-vs-harbor-freight/?source=murder

Another great post Bro, No reason to buy the Snap-On. If my Husky 1/2" impact ever gives up, I'll be on the way to H.F. for a replacement. I buy more of their tools now that I'm semi-retired and don't use tools 8-10 hrs a day. Oiling air tools every-time I use them is the reason for longevity. Snap-on became to pricey for my budget a while ago. I saw a drop off in quality too. The convenience of having the truck stop by work put most of the snap-on tools I bought in my box. Over the years I've put a few impacts from Craftsman in the trash.

My first impact is probably 50 years old. I cannot recall where it was from, and I'm at work so cannot read the markings. I have another too but most often used the old boy.

I'm still using an IR231, been using the same one for half of my life. I hear they are made in China now so not sure how well the newer ones fare but I got mine something like 25 years ago. I few drops of Marvel Mystery Oil for pneumatic tools before and sometimes after each use and I have never had it apart and I used/abused it every day for several years, regularly exceeding the max PSI.

I think for an infrequent user the HF gun at under $100 is probably a helluva deal but longevity might be a consideration if it's made from Chinese materials. Still an awesome test with conclusive numbers.

I read the title of this thread, and thought Trumpf was bragging about his dick again..

My air tools are mostly older IR but I did buy a HF air hacksaw that has saved me a shit-ton of work!! And right CJ oiling air tools is the key to success! :thumbs up:

Nice comparison with scientific data to validate the results. Tools are probably built in the same factory lol.

Traumahawk,

Thanks for sharing! I can tell you all about bolting and some of the science behind it. I used to use those Skidmore-wilhelms at my old job. Crazy stuff that many of us don't know.

G

Traumahawk,

Thanks for sharing! I can tell you all about bolting and some of the science behind it. I used to use those Skidmore-wilhelms at my old job. Crazy stuff that many of us don't know.

G

Thanks. Yep, there is a science about this, that I never knew about......or thought about.

Traumahawk,

G

Our stuff hasn't got that complicated yet. 90% of what we do is done by the "Turn Of The Nut" method.

DTI washers http://www.appliedbolting.com/squirters.html and torque control shear bolts are becoming more prevalent on our structural modification projects. Some of this stuff requires heavy duty tools http://www.ephtools.com/mct100ae

As far as HF goes, I'm in the middle on 'em. Some of their stuff is OK but I'm not going to buy anything there that I plan to use quite often for years to come. I was just there this week. My purchase was a pair of push pin pliers. Something that I could easily do without but is nice to have.

I used SNAP-ON tools for eight years working on Navy Drone aircraft.
Tool checks three times a day for FOD control.

We referred to them as SNAP-OFF tools.....

I had a suspicion of the (FOD) acronym's meaning, but I had to look it up to be sure: https://fodnews.com/ a good place to start, lots of examples. Aviation unfortunately is full of them. Chuck Yeager's biography had a story about an airframe line worker who decided he knew-better than the instruction manual about how-to asssemble a critical nut and bolt in the combat aircraft's tail. His method caused at least one fatality when a control mechanism got hung-up on his assembly sequence, which placed part of the fastener into a place nothing was supposed to be, jamming a control surface, and turning the combat jet into a flying coffin, but not for long, as the plane crashed. Once the forensic examination revealed the source of the problem, a stop-flights order was issued, grounding all the planes, to check for proper assembly sequence, and the line worker was removed from his position for re-training.

One of the guys who bought an early Chapparral sports racer from Jim Hall, and who campaigned it, had something happen to him, where a mechanic forgot to remove a spark plug atop the intake manifold. The car owner/driver was on the track, and at some point, under the violent directional changes and acceleration/deceleration, the spark plug shifted its position, and came to rest in-proximity to the bellcrank throttle mechanism, locking the throttle open, and causing an accident. Luckily, the car wasn't totaled, and the driver didn't become seriously-injured.

I used SNAP-ON tools for eight years working on Navy Drone aircraft.
Tool checks three times a day for FOD control.

We referred to them as SNAP-OFF tools.....

Back