Inverted Frontend Yes or No

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1967vmax

Reaction score
Hey any info on pros and cons on doing an inverted frontend on my max. My current setup is stock frontend all chrome yzf 6 piston calipers with ebc wave rotors with progressive springs. My setup rides and handles great.But i really like the looks of the inverted setup. My concern is the 2 inch extensions needed to run the inverted setup if i was just going to show my bike then no big deal but i ride my vmax hard an fast and the last thing i want is handleing issues or an unsafe ride.

I would LOVE to have one based on looks alone.
Perfectly satisfied handling wise with well tuned stock setup.

Properly executed I doubt drop trees or the extension method either one present any safety hazards.

No doubt the inverted forks are stiffer but the standard set up is not horrible and unless you want to race or pose I'd stick with it. With the right rubber the standard forks are very capable of high speed running through the curves so in essence, save your money unless you intend to race. Or pose.

Chris.

Inverted forks are great. You don't have to race or pose to enjoy them. If you enjoy the road , and can afford it , why not get the best ? I enjoy the added safety , looks and function that they give me . Confidence going into a corner or stopping suddenly gives you a fraction more to react and depend on. I'm not planning on dragging a knee on a public road. That , I think is stupid. However , if required , and if ground clearance is there , I could do it . The only con , to me , is the price for a fraction better handling , safety and looks , over a well set up , aftermarket front end . It is not for everyone.

A 4" dropped triple will make up the difference w/o extensions.

INMHO , Radials are a better first investment over the inverted forks , if you don't already have them.

Attachments

• Group 3   5-28-12 188.jpg
    Group 3 5-28-12 188.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 97
Keep it standard, add emulators and decent springs and use the money you save to invest in some 17" wheels.

That combo will out perform the needs of most riders.

I would love to have them....but dont really know if I need them. Radials would probably be a better first option.

Your not going to outhandle a properly factory setup. Reason #1..... the chassis wont allow it. So if you can push the stock setup ( that is properly setup ) to the chassis's limit, than adding the usd setup isn't going to gain you anymore, because the chassis is already at its limit.

If you have 250 hp at the rear wheel and it spins the tire no matter what you do, 300 hp 400 hp 500 hp ...... isn't going to make the bike faster because you can't get it to hook up. Thats my simple example.

So if you want looks and have the money go inverted. But as said in the last couple posts, a properly setup stock fork will perform as good as you need it to.

Radials as mentioned would probably be a cheaper bang for buck alternative ( unless you go with aftermarket 17 wheels new ).

Keep it standard, add emulators and decent springs and use the money you save to invest in some 17" wheels.

That combo will out perform the needs of most riders.

This. Inverted forks and an aftermarket triple are some big $

Properly sized springs and the cartridge emulators from RaceTech do wonders and are relatively cheap (but visually no change).

If you're going to drop that kind of money I think the Carrozzeria rims and radials would be the place to start. Big time handling improvement so I'm told, and they look sharp as hell.

He's already got radials and all the other listed "upgrades". He is thinking about going with the Carr wheels though (in chrome) to get even better handling from the weight loss compared to his RC Comp's.

The big question I think he's wanting to confirm is whether or not inverted front ends with extensions are a problem from both a flex or safety standpoint. He wanted to get idea's from guys with them that maybe ride their bike hard/aggressively. A big portion of this round of upgrades will be the "bling" factor. He just doesn't want to give up anything while he's at it.

This will be a Chromed Triple Set, Chromed Forks, and Chromed Extensions (along with Chrome Fender Adapters). I've got all the stuff he needs and have tried to price it all fairly to him. I suggested he ask about his concerns on the forum so it wasn't just me making a "sale".

Paul, You've got the one and only triple we ever made with a 4" drop. I did like that setup and wish we would have done others. Made it a lot easier since we only needed the top done. The bottom was simply a welded and reground stock vmax stem pressed into the R1 Lower. A simple set of adapter brackets for the rest made it a nice bolt on. The only downside was the loss of the steering lock.

So...does anyone have an answer of how much of an improvement there is....even if its
ancedotal ?

I would love to have them....but dont really know if I need them. Radials would probably be a better first option.

If you have already replaced / upgraded your front end springs , radials will take you to the next level . It's definately worth it. Save up. 17" wheels will give you the biggest choices in sportbike rubber. 18" look better on the bike , but reduces your choices somewhat. :punk:

The big question I think he's wanting to confirm is whether or not inverted front ends with extensions are a problem from both a flex or safety standpoint. He wanted to get idea's from guys with them that maybe ride their bike hard/aggressively. A big portion of this round of upgrades will be the "bling" factor. He just doesn't want to give up anything while he's at it.

I put on a USD front end last season. Gen 2 busa forks with a dropped triple and extensions from billet bike bits. Sean did the chrome work on the forks. A local shop did the black anodizing.
picture.php

picture.php

I have zero issues with flex and no safety concerns. The front end feels solid as can be. From what I understand, the lower portion of the triple is what provides most of the strength in a front end.

If you're going to do it, I wouldn't expect a huge increase in handling. Yes, it does make a definite difference but, its not an amazing difference over a stock set of forks that have proper springs and emulators/intiminators (which is what I was running).

Just make sure whatever setup you get doesn't drop you're front end a huge amount. I have a 2" drop built into the triple with 2" extensions and the bike still sits pretty low with the 17" wheels. Busa forks are a few mm shorter than the typical R1 or GSXR forks that are used.

Get the forks setup for your and the bikes weight. Proper springs at a minimum. A revalve would be recommended.

I did the inverted forks last year and was not really impress with it, I tought it would have made a huge different in handling but no, just stiffer and look better. Got R1 set from cycle one off. If you want the look then go for it. Other than that if looks not an issue would forget about it.

Thanks all for the input i want to do it for looks but i dont just show my bike i run it hard and its a handfull with the 1500 tourmaster keeping the frontend down so strength is an issue, i have rc 18 radials and it handles great i just dont want to go backwards on handeling or safety.

USD will also add weight to the front which will help keep the wheel down. You def need to revalve

I added USD forks to mine from a 1994 YZF750, as well as the front wheel, front fender, and brake discs from that '94 YZF750. I had my triple tree custom-made by Cycle One-Off (WICKED solid). I also ground down the brake caliper mounts on these USDs so they could accept the R1 Blue Spot calipers.

To me, a big, bad-ass ride like the Max really benefits from the ballsy look of the USD. That, of course, is my opinion, but I would NEVER trade back to the old, standard forks.

This all is, of course, just my 2 cents.

Elimax

Latest posts

Back