iPod charger mod installed

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ryanneal

Reaction score
I'm amazing.... And my woman agrees.

Pulled power off battery, but relayed off of the "key on" position. Meaning when the key is off, the charging stops, as to not drain battery. Assumes a cell could drain the max.

Tuffest part was routing wires, and finding place/room for the relay, etc
Anyway, the left scoop holds the relay, then the power routes back under the seat, with the last foot or so tucked under the end of the seat. Then, the adapter is housed in the luggage, and connects when needed.

Slick!

I have a new USB adapter available now too (though Kuryakyn).

Sean

album.php

Sorry dude... Im just learning how to do this. I was anxious to tell about my mod, and didnt get to the pics yet.. NOW, I've taken the pics... but can only create a personal album. Havent figured out how to add this images to this thread??????

OK Guys, I've created a personal album with the pics and descriptions/captions, but I cant seem to embed the images into this thread??????

When you post a reply...click the "go advanced" button, then click the manage attachments button, and a new window will open up...browse...upload...close....and submit reply. Hope that helps.

2.jpg
OK, here is the black conduit coming from under the rear seat. The conduit carries both the + and -, from the relay i installed in the left scoop. I left enough conduit so it can reach my luggage (normally on the back rack). But it also tucks away nicely back under the rear seat

picture.jpg
Again showing the power coming from under the rear seat. NOtice the connector, covered.

picture3.jpg
Here is the picture of the fuse box under the faux tank. this is where I got the power. You cannot see it in this picture, but I used a piggy back connector to steal power from a circuit that was only hot when the Key was ON.

picture4.jpg
This picture show how the black conduit snakes around along side the frame. Running the wires was the toughest part, because there isn't a lot of open room in these things. Be carefult not to interfere with the tank locks or support points.

picture5.jpg
Undernearth the rubber gas flange, there is a box steel cross member. It is easier seen when the rear seat is removed. Anyway, you have to run the wires from the let to the the right side of the bike, and this is the best place I found to do the cross over. The reason for the crossover, is that the passage under the rear seat, is on the RIGHT side, vs. the LEFT side. so you have to get the wires over there. There is already a wire harness running along the RIGHT side, under the rear seat... SO that is where I placed this wiring conduit.

picture6.jpg
I then realized that I don't always want to ride with the large lucggage just to hold my phone and charger, so just tonight I made a mini-case. Camera case with slit in the bottom, velcrowed (soon to be screwed) to the back of the sissy bar back rest. Now, it looks like a sleek, integrated design. Minimalist.

picture7.jpg

Looking downline at the bike you can see how the wiring harness goes up to behind the sissy bar backrest.

f.jpg
Here is the Grand Finale.... This is a Cigaretter Lighter/USB accessory I bought from Oreily. It is SO COOL, because it LIGHTS UP BLUE, when the key is on. YOu can plug any 12V cigarette adapter in, assuming you wont blow the 10A fuse. Also, it has the USB port, where you can see I have my white IPOD cable attached. NOTE, I decided to use three black rubber PLUGS to cover the cigarette receptacles when not in use.

picturef2.jpg
And.... here is the bad beast!!!!!!!!!!!

I use bluetooth phone, and iphones die anyway, so I wanted to have an onboard charger. THis was well worth the time to rig. Good luck, advise questions.

Looks pretty good, I’ve been thinking of doing something similar, but I think I would like to come off of the battery with a in line fuse and a toggle mounted somewhere so I could use it for a maintenance charger without removing the seat. IDK?? Is there a advantage using a line switched with the key?

I also have a maintenance charger, fused off the main battery. I decided to use a relay off the ignition key, so that I didn't forget to turn OFF the phone charger, and possibly risk draining my battery. Im not an electrical engineer so I dont know the specifics about current/amps and how long an iphone connected to the battery would take to drain it, if left on wifi'ing, bluetoothing, etc etc.... I just didn't want to take the chance, and I wanted more of an OEM kinda setup.

I added two more pics, one of the assembly, and one of the bad beast in all its glory.

Fyi, option install....

I suppose a simple install would have been to tap into the tail light running light, which is also always on if the key is on. You can pick up this power from the harness below the rear seat. Ground wherever. Saves having to run wires entire length from scoop to sissy bar. However, what I didn't mention is that i already had a relay in the left scoop wired to the GPS. So, I decided to use the 2nd circuit on that same relay.

yes pls. always interested in different drilled rotor options for the rear.

Back