is the clunking normal?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rayvin53

Reaction score
New to this bike and just wondering if it's normal to have a solid clunk when shifting...I have it in all gears, whether shifting up or down. No grinding or anything like that, but it just feels like my Magna does when she needs to have the chain adjusted.
It's a '92 and due for an oil change.
Thanks.
Vin

Regarding the clunking while shifting thing (that I didn't notice before)--I just replaced the clutch lever yesterday. Are there any parts that could have fallen off end of the pin that pushed the piston in the master cylinder? I don't see anything between the cup the pin goes into and the pin. The lever I bought was from a '05, my bike is a '92--any changes there? I just figured if a little cap or something fell out I wouldn't get a complete clutch release and that would cause the clunky shifting.
Thanks.
Vin

Ok, I found that the spring that goes over the push rod had fallen out, replaced that but I don't see how that would give me more clutch release...I'll see when I take it out this morning. I shouldn't have to bleed it just because I replace the lever, right?

I've never noticed any sort of clunking on mine and it's a 99 with 36000 miles on it..it shifts prett smooth..

What kind of bike did you come off of tho'....?? There are probably smoother shifting bikes that you may be referencing it too that make it seem clunky...

Ok, I found that the spring that goes over the push rod had fallen out, replaced that but I don't see how that would give me more clutch release...I'll see when I take it out this morning. I shouldn't have to bleed it just because I replace the lever, right?

That's right Vin, you shouldn't have to bleed anything since all you did was swap levers.

When my oil needs changing, my tranny gets a bit noisy and kind of klunky. What are you running for oil?

Just did a change and used Yamalube 10w-40. You think it's too thin for the Max? Would love to get rid of those clunky shifts.
Thanks for replying, BH.

I've never noticed any sort of clunking on mine and it's a 99 with 36000 miles on it..it shifts prett smooth..

What kind of bike did you come off of tho'....?? There are probably smoother shifting bikes that you may be referencing it too that make it seem clunky...

My other ride is a '95 Magna and the shifting is very smooth unless I need to adjust my chain. I run Mobil 1 goldcap in it.

That's right Vin, you shouldn't have to bleed anything since all you did was swap levers.

Yeah, I'm sure the lever change has nothing to do with the clunky shifting. How smooth are the gear changes on your '92?

Yeah, I'm sure the lever change has nothing to do with the clunky shifting. How smooth are the gear changes on your '92?
retarded question..is the new lever giving you the same throw or full pressure opening plates all the way

retarded question..is the new lever giving you the same throw or full pressure opening plates all the way

Not retarded at all--I replaced the lever 'cause the PO had dropped the bike and it was bent and had a broken end. This morning I put the old lever on, having the same thought as you, but the clunking continued. I guess I don't remember it clunking before I tore into the carbs because in the few rides I took I was focusing on just keeping it from stalling out...maybe it's just time for some clutch work. Thought I read something on the forum here that mentioned replacing a star component with the upgraded part from '96 and up. Know anything about that? Would a failing star whachamacallit cause incomplete clutch function?

Not retarded at all--I replaced the lever 'cause the PO had dropped the bike and it was bent and had a broken end. This morning I put the old lever on, having the same thought as you, but the clunking continued. I guess I don't remember it clunking before I tore into the carbs because in the few rides I took I was focusing on just keeping it from stalling out...maybe it's just time for some clutch work. Thought I read something on the forum here that mentioned replacing a star component with the upgraded part from '96 and up. Know anything about that? Would a failing star whachamacallit cause incomplete clutch function?

I think you are referring to this component in this post http://www.vmaxforum.net/showpost.php?p=1131&postcount=8, however I've never heard of it causing a clunking sound, just an inability to shift into a gear.

I've gone some of my older notes and I'm wondering if it is the middle gear damper spring. I'm going to PM Sean to take a look at this as he has had more hands on experience with the transmissions.

Does the clutch have full release? When you are stopped and in gear, does the bike tug and want to go? Can you shift from second or first into neutral sitting still. If not, you'll need to investigate further to find the reason why. Have you looked at the u-joint in the driveshaft? easy enough to see, look for looseness in the joint by rocking the tire forwards and back while eyeballing the joint. You may find loosness other areas also, rear diff, diff to wheel, slack in transmission gears, middle drive gear. Lot' of places to look.
Good luck.

Just did a change and used Yamalube 10w-40. You think it's too thin for the Max? Would love to get rid of those clunky shifts.
Thanks for replying, BH.

Ohh no here we go this is going to turn into another oil war!:bang head:

Refer to your factory yamaha service manual for the recomended oil for your climate.

i don't no if mine clunks or not , because my shoei helmet has so much wind noise , it sounds like i'm hanging on to an airplanes wing going mach 1 ! It sucks !

Does the clutch have full release? When you are stopped and in gear, does the bike tug and want to go? Can you shift from second or first into neutral sitting still. If not, you'll need to investigate further to find the reason why. Have you looked at the u-joint in the driveshaft? easy enough to see, look for looseness in the joint by rocking the tire forwards and back while eyeballing the joint. You may find loosness other areas also, rear diff, diff to wheel, slack in transmission gears, middle drive gear. Lot' of places to look.
Good luck.

No tug when stopped, I can shift into neutral from 1st and 2nd sitting still. I'm going to bleed it tomorrow and see if that helps out. Thanks.

The Vmax transmission is one of the clunkiest made. They will make noise but the problem is how much is too much. There is not going to be any good way to describe it where anyone can accurately diagnose it either. There could be internal problems but again there is no real way to know without tearing into it.

Sean

Thanks to all for your opinions on this 'clunky shifting'. Maybe I'm expecting too much for a 15 year old bike. It's not grinding gears or anything like that--if my Magna were doing this I would just adjust the slack in the clutch cable, since it's not hydraulic. I'll bleed it when I get a chance and just ride the Magna until I figure it out.

Back