Issue #2

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marecki

Reaction score
so, went riding today on the vmax, feel everything out... apparently the rear spring (progressive) somehow popped up past the damper screw.

how do i tighten down the spring enough to put it back in its place?

Basically right now, the spring and shock are in two separate parts :confused2:

If you have a picture of the affected shock I think would help in finding a fix. Is there a retaining washer/ cup that is out of place?

Just took these pics, this is what I have, not sure if anything fell off, as far as I saw (looking at other shock) nothing did...
photo3wn.jpg

photoso.jpg

Believe it or not, there is tool just for this job. It is called a spring compressing tool and is often availbe for free from most of the bigger auto parts discounters. Take your spring with you so you get the right tool. They will ask for a refundable deposit but it is the easy and safe way to do this

see i know about the auto spring compressors, they would be too big for the spring... is there another one for bikes?

see i know about the auto spring compressors, they would be too big for the spring... is there another one for bikes?[/QUOTE]
YES , THERE IS A SMALLER ONE FOR BIKES , YOUR BEST BET WOULD BE TO BRING IT ( THE SHOCK & PIECES ) TO A MOTORCYCLE REPAIR SHOP , EVEN A HARLEY REPAIR SHOP , I CANT BELIEVE I JUST SAID THAT BECAUSE THERE PROBABLY ALL BACKED UP !:rofl_200: , BUT I MEAN PRIVATE REPAIR SHOPS , NOT DEALERS UNLESS ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY , THEY WILL BE ABLE TO DO IT IN 2 MINUTES !

see i know about the auto spring compressors, they would be too big for the spring... is there another one for bikes?[/QUOTE]
YES , THERE IS A SMALLER ONE FOR BIKES , YOUR BEST BET WOULD BE TO BRING IT TO A MOTORCYCLE REPAIR SHOP , EVEN A HARLEY REPAIR SHOP , I CANT BELIEVE I JUST SAID THAT BECAUSE THERE PROBABLY ALL BACKED UP !:rofl_200: , BUT I MEAN PRIVATE REPAIR SHOPS , NOT DEALERS UNLESS ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY , THEY WILL BE ABLE TO DO IT IN 2 MINUTES !
I refuse to accept anything (including assistance) from HD, stupid dumbfucks work there (i know a few) they skint on everything, and are just generally more jewish than jewish people when it comes to money (no offense to anyone who's jewish here considering you own a vmax and its nowhere cheap to do anything with it)

TBH I would send that shock back to Progressive - I think it's got a manufacture defect if it popped off like that!

Otherwise, you could try using C clamps to compress the spring, but be real careful - if one of those pops off it will shoot out like a bullet..

I bought the bike with them on, so I dont know if I can get any warranty or anything

call or email Progressive and see what they say - I think they're quite good on their stuff being of 'high quality'. And your shocks look pretty new too..

I just emailed them, sent the same pics as I posted here, thanks for the advice...

On a side not, what would you guys recommend for spring/shock/coilover with a SOFT feeling, this will be more of a cruiser than a dragster.

First off, they should not come apart while riding, so I think you need to figure out what is wrong with it.

To compress the spring, a tool like this will work and is easy enough to make too.

Mike

Attachments

• 05RaceTechSpringCompressorLG.gif
    05RaceTechSpringCompressorLG.gif
    26.2 KB · Views: 19
yea, I'm hoping they'll work with me and replace it, I doubt it'll not pop up again if I hit a pot hole ...

They're sending me a new spring/seal via mail... free :)

So can anyone recommend some soft crusing springs?

Are you talking about the front springs or a setting for your rear shocks?

Spend the extra $ for a good rear set , ( I use Works Performance " street trackers " ) you can soften 'em up for easy cruising and tighten 'em up for the twisties , with lots of room for adjustments in between.:clapping:

Back