Lazarus bikes, a 1986 & a 1998

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fire-medic

Staff member
Reaction score
Here's one I found recently, complete bike, weathered, been off-the road a few years, tag expired '05. Lotsa parts, gonna try to get it functional, at-least running, & see how it is. I believe the mileage to be correct.

Also, here's one I tracked-down, a 1997, needs some work, I think the price is a bit high as it isn't running. It has some accessories, one of-which is an Akrapovic can on a full exhaust. I dunno if the header pipes are Akrapovic too, they are a bit weathered. The bike looks like it took a starboard amidships hit (gas tank crease). I think it's more-like a $1000 max. bike, given that it needs a radiator and a gas tank, both $$ items, plus who-knows-what-else? I have known the owner for a long time, he said it would run if the radiator was replaced. He's sold it once & bought it twice. As-long as it's been sitting, the carbs would need cleaning too. I'm not in any hurry...

Local sleuthing for Greasy Bikes & Parts bears-fruit!:clapping:I found some other parts too, gotta research them a bit, might be for sale, 'Max-stuff.

Attachments

• 1986.01.jpg
    1986.01.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 49
  • 1986.02.jpg
    1986.02.jpg
    138.8 KB · Views: 47
  • 1998.01.jpg
    1998.01.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 56
  • 1998.02.jpg
    1998.02.jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 48
That tank mod is the opposite of buying a larger gas tank - reduces overall weight and the cost of stopping for gas :rofl_200:

Nice find though

Looks like a lot of fun!! Nice catch FM!! :punk:

Kyle is my 'hero' when it comes to sleuthing. And Patmax can turn a 'sow's ear into a good-lookin' ride'-look at what he's done to "Rattlecan-Special!" I'd like to give him the '86 to clean-up. Maybe after I get it functional.

I wish I had a better place to work on stuff. I gotta go-see 'CopRunner' now that I am feeling better after my recent layoff from being able to ride. I want to see his garage.

Last edited:
You lucky dog! I've seen more distressed FLA east coast Maxes for some reason. Can I surmise that area has a more "throw away" attitude? I'm jealous for sure FM!
Keep us updated. I just organized the garage a little today since the weather is so nice. Looking at three complete bikes in various states of restoration, four motors on dollys, and a row of wheels/tires. Whew! My wife is right, I need to sell a bike or two soon. Rattlecan will be up for sale soon enough. I probably can't bring myself to put any miles on it. A trailer queen I guess.
Not to mention my daily driver needs freshened up. Didn't pull that steering lock cylinder yet. Wife has the SUV with it in the back seat so I took the other SUV to work. Don't forget I have work where I can get lots done not to mention, air conditioned indoor storage should I need it.
I still need to organize a benchtop so I can pretend to be Dannymax! And rebuild carbs and such.

I am fortunate that I have a bunch of acquaintances who are usually willing to help me get stuff done. Unfortunately, I can't do all the stuff when I would like. That has taught me patience.

I have a friend who has an independent shop. He does a lot of H-D's, and is happy to work on whatever comes thru the door, but even he turns-down some work. He has a gentle soul, (well-over 6'/~270 lb.) but since I haven't known him that long, like some of my other gearhead friends, I think he was a hell-raiser when he was younger, and he's a lot younger than me. My friend who has known him for a long time said he's a good guy, and he's helped me a few times w/stuff, and often says, "no-charge," but I leave him some $ anyways, and bring some beers occasionally.

Frankly, I am kinda played-out for a bit on hunting for stuff, but then something comes-along & makes me want to return to 'the hunt.' If that '97 was priced like a non-runner should be, then I would be 'more-excited.' And, there I go again...

Pat, get the 'Rattlecan' working well and sell it, and do something nice for your wife for putting-up w/the hobby-work. Of-course, make that $ work for your other projects, too!

I appreciate Kyle a bunch and his ability to work his magic. Not to mention the Tech Days. I'm dreaming up a motor stand for a benchtop but have yet to cut any steel yet. I'm a good carpenter but have no welding experience so someone at work will have to be recruited. Fortunately the metal shop guy needs some powdercoating done so that might take care of itself!
Hey, you can PM me any hidden finds because Kyle beats me to anything advertised! LOL
Primered up the frame then decided I want to grind all the old factory welding slag off so I better pick up some more primer! Pics coming on the Rattlecan thread.

I appreciate Kyle a bunch and his ability to work his magic. Not to mention the Tech Days. I'm dreaming up a motor stand for a benchtop but have yet to cut any steel yet. I'm a good carpenter but have no welding experience so someone at work will have to be recruited. Fortunately the metal shop guy needs some powdercoating done so that might take care of itself!
Hey, you can PM me any hidden finds because Kyle beats me to anything advertised! LOL
Primered up the frame then decided I want to grind all the old factory welding slag off so I better pick up some more primer! Pics coming on the Rattlecan thread.

I think you may be on the right track by smoothing the frame. The H-D boys have been doing it for decades. I would like to see a Vmax done w/a combo of polished and satin surfaces, and a red frame,w/silver bodywork. I think that would probably look very striking. Radiator & shroud black. The color of the wheels could change the whole image of the bike. I don't have photoshop, but I would like to see some combos like this to see if I would like it.

Years-ago, I almost bought a Ducati 851 which had something similar, a chrome-yellow frame, red bodywork, and polished alloy. It was an appealing combo. I seriously-considered its purchase, but then I found my year-old '92 VMax.

Here is a shot of my bike. I have been dealing w/minor issues which are not entirely done yet, but I can wait compared to my debacle of pain and hemorraging $$ after my dyno dilemma http://www.vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=21873&highlight=dyno

So since I had my bike for-use, I had not yet synched the carbs, and after riding it around for awhile, I decided to install, or should I say, have-installed, my Dynojet Stage 7-kitted spare carbs I bought from another member at a good price. They needed going-through, and came w/the K&N airpods.

Well, they spent last weekend having their essential innards carb-soaked. The gaskets came-in this week, and today I got to take it for a spin.

Under my thread, Mod or not-to-mod,
http://www.vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=26485 I spoke of the stuff which I have been assembling. Some stuff already made it onto my bike, a lot hasn't. The Stage-7 carbs, I am glad to say, are done. They are on the bike, and they are working!

I kept VBoost but not the airbox or filter, the K&N's are on. A couple of months ago I installed radials, so between the handling difference and the riding difference, the bike is, in the words of another member, Mr. NST: "How about this logic? Youve had your bike for 19 years... you love it, but its the same old-same old. NOT THAT THATS BAD!!! But, you install all of your goodies, youll fall in love all over again with a new bike!" He was posting in the "mod or not-to-mod" thread.

You recall in the Godfather, where Michael Corleone, after killing the NY cop, goes to Italy, and is fortunate-enough to meet the love of his life?
What happened to him, to cause him to know, "this is 'The One?'" He got hit by the lightning bolt!

Well, during my ride tonight, I think I met the fate that our Canadian cousin espoused, and it didn't take litres of Molsons or Labatt's to get to this point, it just took a quick ride down the street, around a few corners, and some energenic throttle-cable stretching. Actually, I think I stretched them so-far, I need carb-chains!:biglaugh:

All I can say, is, I can't wait to get it back, done, and to be able to ride it so that red light flickers constantly next to the tach. As another member said, "if the red light isn't blinking, you're not riding hard-enough!"

The shop owner, Steve, just smiled when he told me to "take it for a ride." I thumbed-down the choke, hit the starter, and instant start, and a nice idle. I probably didn't get 1/4 mile before I thumbed-off the choke, and by now, the temp needle was stirring. I waited until it came a couple needles' width off the peg, and then I hit it hard and felt the front wheel lift-off the pavement, and I wasn't anywhere near the top of the tach, I don't think it even hit VBoost, but then, with the way it was pulling, I wasn't staring at the tach anyway, I was watching the business-side of the bike, the road-ahead. By now I had run hard thru a couple of gears, but short-shifted before VBoost really kicked-in and each time I got back on the gas, I felt the front tire 'skip' as the front end lightened. I waited until the temp needle got to its middle position, and then I stopped, and slowly let-out the clutch, and then snapped-open the throttle. "Power-wheelie," nice as you please, and a low deep moan from the vicinity of the faux tank cover which I had never heard with the stock airbox in-place. Felt-good, sounded-good, and rode-good!

I went back to the shop, and as I thumbed-off the kill switch, I told the shop owner, "I have a complaint!"

He smiled and gave me a look of, "and what might that be?"

"Un-synch the carbs! It's 'too-fast' for my riding skills!" I said. Steve and Glenn, his other mechanic he has been breaking-in, laughed.

Yeah, man! It's running better than I recall, ever! Though to be fair, I haven't ridden it much yet, but I think I will be doing a lot-more of that. I think I'm gonna have to go north about 60 miles and look-up "CopRunner!" And, maybe over to the west coast of FL to see "Patmax." And further-north to Tampa area to see Dave and Kyle, and then across the state to say, "hello" to "Ninjaneer!"

MR. NST called it, the lightning bolt has struck!
:clapping::punk::biglaugh:

Not much to look-at right now, but I like the "Q-ship" ideal. Hard-to-see, and then it sinks you before you know what-happened! ""This old thing? Totally-stock! And not runnin' very well, either!" :biglaugh::biglaugh:

Attachments

• 10-24-12 VMax.zip
    110.4 KB · Views: 2
  • VMax 10-24-12.jpg
    VMax 10-24-12.jpg
    126.7 KB · Views: 5
Good write FM. The excitement is palpable. Is'nt it great that guys all over the world feel the same way about their Vmaxes as you do !
Heck, I can change my oil and filter and have my enthusiasm reinvigorated.
Sidebar: We definitely will have to get things together some time now that weather is finally more static and reliable. I ain't a VMOA er right now but I suppose a chapter leadet could start some rumors or throw out some ideas. We'll see.

Good write FM. The excitement is palpable. Is'nt it great that guys all over the world feel the same way about their Vmaxes as you do !
Heck, I can change my oil and filter and have my enthusiasm reinvigorated.
Sidebar: We definitely will have to get things together some time now that weather is finally more static and reliable. I ain't a VMOA er right now but I suppose a chapter leadet could start some rumors or throw out some ideas. We'll see.

Pat, I'm all-for that. Let's see what happens. Mebbe let the hurricane pass before we go tearing around the state!:biglaugh:

Even if I threw my bike onto my pickup to get the Alligator Alley trip out of the way, and for shelter in-case the weather turns crappy, I would like to try to see some of the FL VMax brotherhood. I still haven't run-into the Davie FL owner, and I'm there every weekday. :ummm:

The weather service is saying this is going to be a "wet" dry season. (For the rest of the world, that's essentially late fall and winter here).

Back