Led signal help!!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vman23

Reaction score
IMG_0053.jpegIMG_0052.jpeg

Ok. I am at a loss here. I am putting on led front & rear signals. All the wires are correct. Signal to green(right) other signal(brown) running to blue & brake to yellow running.

So when I turn on signals. They all blink. No matter which side. It’s like hazard lights. What am I missing?? I do one side at a time. They work great. I plug everything in. Goes hay wire. I have the hyper flash. But that shouldn’t cause everything to go hay wire. Is there a relay that fix’s the hyper flash? Does it matter they are different types of signals? I unplugged the running & brake wires front & back throughout this whole test. It still doesn’t make a difference. This is nuts! Oem worked fine.

If I have the left side(signal) unplugged I move the switch to left. The right side flashes. If I move the switch to left the right rear flashes and the front left only, without the left rear plugged in. When I move the switch to the right the front left works without the front right plugged in and right rear works without the left rear plugged in. I move the switch to left. My right side turns on without the left even plugged in.

Is this how vmax’s work? Retarded left hand thread for the right mirror. Ugh. What else is retarded?

Do they even make relays that fix the hyper flash? With all do respect. I have a 06 Goldwing. 19 Kawasaki z400 and had a 03 shadow. I am by no means an engineer but this makes no sense. This is the 1st for me. If a relay that is suppose to solve the hyper flash but fixes the wacky hazard lights when using a signal light. Then this is 1 messed up system. Sorry if I sound out of sorts. It’s frustrating.

Last edited:
This is common. I decided to go with a digital flasher relay to cure the hyper flash and install a Custom Dynamics dioded in line with the signal indicator light to keep the right and left signals from coming on together. Only drawback to doing this is loosing the self canceling signal feature. Other than that everything else works perfectly.
Some research will reveal a couple other solutions also.

You need to add diodes to the turn signal bulb to prevent the hazard flashing. This is due to only having one bulb on the cluster and an older style turn signal relay.

Have you added ballast resistors so that the LED's have the same resistance that would be in the circuit if bulbs were fitted?

um no. never had such a crazy problem like this before. so if I install these or these it will solve my problem? Sorry if my post sounded upsetting. but its very frustrating. I knew I had to install something to solve the hyper flash. but this was nuts.

You need to add diodes to the turn signal bulb to prevent the hazard flashing. This is due to only having one bulb on the cluster and an older style turn signal relay.

um no. never had such a crazy problem like this before. so if I install these or these it will solve my problem? Sorry if my post sounded upsetting. but its very frustrating. I knew I had to install something to solve the hyper flash. but this was nuts.

Even though you believe the wires are correct, it's crucial to double-check the wiring diagram for your specific Goldwing model year. Minor mistakes, like accidentally swapping wires or not making a secure connection, can cause bizarre electrical behavior.

View attachment 93086View attachment 93087

Ok. I am at a loss here. I am putting on led front & rear signals. All the wires are correct. Signal to green(right) other signal(brown) running to blue & brake to yellow running.

So when I turn on signals. They all blink. No matter which side. It’s like hazard lights. What am I missing?? I do one side at a time. They work great. I plug everything in. Goes hay wire. I have the hyper flash. But that shouldn’t cause everything to go hay wire. Is there a relay that fix’s the hyper flash? Does it matter they are different types of signals? I unplugged the running & brake wires front & back throughout this whole test. It still doesn’t make a difference. This is nuts! Oem worked fine.

If I have the left side(signal) unplugged I move the switch to left. The right side flashes. If I move the switch to left the right rear flashes and the front left only, without the left rear plugged in. When I move the switch to the right the front left works without the front right plugged in and right rear works without the left rear plugged in. I move the switch to left. My right side turns on without the left even plugged in.

Is this how vmax’s work? Retarded left hand thread for the right mirror. Ugh. What else is retarded?

Do they even make relays that fix the hyper flash? With all do respect. I have a 06 Goldwing. 19 Kawasaki z400 and had a 03 shadow. I am by no means an engineer but this makes no sense. This is the 1st for me. If a relay that is suppose to solve the hyper flash but fixes the wacky hazard lights when using a signal light. Then this is 1 messed up system. Sorry if I sound out of sorts. It’s frustrating.
I have L.E.D's all the way around, including in my stock guages, no relays and dont know why you would introduce them.
The resistors have worked and keep working. Once you get the simple, but crazy theory of running positive to ground you too can do any light circuit you want in L.E.D..
I also run two wire L.E.D.s off a simple HI Lo circuit using one diode and one resistor for run, brake and or turn signal.

The early vMax has one indicator light that tells you if either side is flashing. The way it does this is by using a filament type lamp that is connected to the hot wire of both left and right signals. When one side is blinking, the indicator lamp grounds through the filaments of the lamps on the other side of the bike. The current draw is so low that you don’t actually see those 2 lamps blinking, but they in effect are. When you introduce LED’s to that circuit, they all blink because they draw nothing and you essentially put them all in series.

Last edited:
Back