Lights out

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Now I’m 85 and I don’t ride much. I neglected my 09 Vmax for a few months and the battery died. Installed new battery and the bike starts fine.

Now I have dash lights, but no headlight no tail light and no signals. I checked every fuse and even replaced the headlight fuse just in case. Still no lights.

Any thoughts?

Maybe the ignition switch needs contacts cleaned?

Also start there and follow the energized circuit to the headlight/taillight/signals to see where the power is interrupted.

I always look at grounds first when having this type of trouble, after checking the battery is healthy. Do those 3 share a common ground?

First thought, I'm assuming this is a gen 1. 2009 is right there on the edge. Now, whichever it is, couple of months should not matter. I've left my bike, a Gen 1 for many months on it's own and never had problems starting it up or having any kind of gremlins. The first thing is to figure out what is killing your battery if that really is the situation. Next thing is to run the engine, it creates vibration, kinda making everything shake, this cleans the contact surfaces. Next thing is to flip your light switches back and forth to clean corrosion. If even that doesn't do nothing, then it is time to look at wiring overall.

I prefer a more structured approach to diagnosis.
First I would check that you have good earths from the affected circuits.
If they are OK then start at (say) the headlamp and see if you have any power. If you have re-check the earths as that is probably where the problem lies and if not work back through the loom to establish where it stops.
Do the same for tail light and indicator circuits.

All 09 Vmax’s are Gen 2 Jack. Good advice though. Thanks
Nothing is killing the battery. Plenty of juice and the bike starts up as good as ever. Now I have a headlight but none of others. Checking circuits

Back