Local nominee for 'Gramma of the Year' award!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dannymax

Reaction score
Grandma accused of trading stolen gifts for crack

andrea-ocasio.jpg

Andrea Ocasio
ALBANY - Police said it was three in the morning Saturday, when a 22-year-old man came home to this Albany apartment, to find the door wide open, his three-year-old son asleep on the couch, and his mother, who was supposed to be babysitting, no where in sight. Outraged, he called police.

"He went back downstairs and was waiting on the sidewalk for the officers. Within moments his mother came out of a house, a drug house down the street. He confronted her, accused her of stealing Christmas presents from inside the house as well as leaving his son alone," said James Miller, Albany police spokesperson.

Police said 44-year-old Andrea Ocasio admitted she'd hocked her grandson's presents to buy crack cocaine.

"Morally disgusted, but there's almost no excuse for it." said Dustin Burns, a resident who lives in the neighborhood.

But one substance abuse expert said it's not surprising.

"This isn't a recreational addict. Certainly this is a desperate human being doing desperate things," said
Gail Moore, who runs the rehab clinic at The Addictions Care Center in Albany. Moore said it's possible that Ocasio cares deeply about her family, but was in the grips of a powerful drug addiction.

"It's sad and certainly she should be held accountable. But to say, to blame someone. Addiction is not a black and white issue it's not a simple issue," she said.

Police said Ocasio does have a history of drug abuse. But that there's no excuse for her actions.

"To leave your three-year-old grandson alone, I don't care if it was just for a few minutes, to walk down a street to purchase drugs, what does it say about that person," he said.
Police were able to recover the Christmas presents and get them back to Ocasio's son and grandson.
Ocasio is charged with endangering the welfare of a child and petit larceny, and is in the Albany County jail.
filler1x1.gif

holy crap..... ya dont think that was a new habit she came up with, dont think the dude should have left his kid anyways with her....

holy crap..... ya dont think that was a new habit she came up with, dont think the dude should have left his kid anyways with her....

+1 Rov, why would he trust her in the first place? I'm glad the presents came back. That shit truly is the devils powder. I can't believe it can't be shut down. How hard is it to locate crack junkies and drug addicts, turn them upside down till they spit out the suppliers name and work your way up? Is the ACLU the problem? Take some of their funding.
There is something good to do with our resources. Use unemployed screened labor? Bang per buck is a win win too. As long as people want it someone will try to supply it I guess, so shutting it down is a secure job too. Semi Happy ending I suppose.
Steve

Last edited:
The problem lies with the justice system, and it is one that it is actually a good thing to have. Cops cannot really prevent crime, they react to it and arrest those who committ it. There is also that presumption of innocence thing that doesn't help. The PC crowd would explode if the police decided that they would just blitz the streets and start arresting users and working their way up the food chain without probable cause. Sucks, but that is the reality of the world we live in......

The problem lies with the justice system, and it is one that it is actually a good thing to have. Cops cannot really prevent crime, they react to it and arrest those who committ it. There is also that presumption of innocence thing that doesn't help. The PC crowd would explode if the police decided that they would just blitz the streets and start arresting users and working their way up the food chain without probably cause. Sucks, but that is the reality of the world we live in......

I guess my idea would stop working the day a cop turned the wrong person upside down. Like a lawyer of Judge's kid. It's a war out there for sure. I'm sure Canada has it the same, though we never see it on the news here. I'm just frustrated today because they robbed the bank right near our house yesterday. One my family goes to all the time. People have no idea of the drug and crime problem that extends to Cape Cod. Lock your cars here too, like anywhere else, except, Taylor Hallow,
2gunsfiring_v1.gif
where dogs, and this big guy loaded for bear will get you before the cops arrive!
Steve-o
biglaugh.gif

Last edited:
True enough, we have our share of problems here. One main difference is that there is this predisposition to blame the US for gun crimes being committed. Yep, all those gun control laws really stop the gang bangers......

Exactly! He didn't notice his mom was a crack addict?

Selling drugs is only a lucrative business because drugs are illegal. Because they are illegal, it is a high risk job so they need to make more mark up on the product. It attracts the wrong sort of crowd.

You won't stop people wanting drugs, I agree. So stop arresting people for dealing! The crime goes away, the addicts get what they want, and die.

It's about time we allowed good old mother nature solve our problems. Bring back natural selection! :rofl_200:

Back