long write on my almost year long tuning problem

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Carbs should be shipping out tomorrow. I did find another error on a customer carb set here last night that I haven't even thought to ask. I don't think this applies to your situation though. WARNING - DO NOT USE KEYSTER CARB REBUILD KITS

You can use some of the kit but the main brass emulsion tubes are incorrect and I don't like the jet block gaskets (too rubbery).

Sean

Sweet! cant wait to try them out! Nope all my carb parts have come from you Sean so i know i got the right parts:punk:

Jason

Hey everyone, finally got Morleys carbs and ECU... but even after installing them both... ive got a pretty solid miss on my number 4 cylinder, ive checked spark and it sparks fine, ive swapped COPS around to rule out a bad one and i know its getting fuel... so now what?

This is a totally new issue... i never had a miss before, i just had a midrange issue... which recently(before i got Morleys carbs) turned into my bike only running on 3 cylinders. I have a compression tester.. but it wont work because it doesnt go small enough for motorcycle plugs.. do i need a special tester?

Jason

Compression check on all cylinders would be in order for trouble shooting your problem, low compression=no combustion.

Compression check on all cylinders would be in order for trouble shooting your problem, low compression=no combustion.

yeah but where do i get a tester for it?? shops wont let me borrow.... any adaptors that will work on my car compression tester??

jason

Hey I told you I'd come over and give you a hand. I've got the adapter, ground wires for the plugs and compression tester.

Hey I told you I'd come over and give you a hand. I've got the adapter, ground wires for the plugs and compression tester.

Hey Randy, sorry i didnt ask you first:bang head: i got all in a hurry and put the carbs on at like 10 oclock that night and then havnt had time to play with them since. Ill call you this weekend:biglaugh:

Jason

When you get the problem figured out,please let me know.I am having a similar problem on my '85.I will keep checking back on your posts,and hope that you can figure it out without much more headaches.

I admire your tenacity, bro. If it were me i'd have given up a long time ago and bought a new one. Hell, Larry the Cable Guy says it best---" hell, I give on a poop after twenty-minutes"

Bud

Ill definantly post back up in great detail once i figure this thing out!:biglaugh: Im VERY A.D.D. but im also very stubborn... so ive stuck it out and am determined to fix it.... or shoot it and push it off a cliff:rofl_200:

I currently dont have any running vehicles, but the clutch for my truck just came today so i wont get a chance to work on the VMAX this weekend(my truck is first priority) but ill keep everyone updated on everything I do and find. Thanks for all the help and encouragement!!:punk:

Jason

Thanks, ill go get some readings and let yall now. I dont know anyone with teh spark plug light deals.... although that is very cool.

Harbor freight has them cheap. Kind of a must have, for me anyway, if your doing your own work. You get a nice vew of the spark too.
Steve-o

Okay, update!!! So Randy came over and we checked my compression on my bike... and its good:biglaugh:

We did a dry test and they all came out to 170psi, then we did a wet test(with some motor oil) and we got 190 on 3 cylinders and 200 on the #2 cylinder, which i dont think is a big deal??? any ways im going to get new spark plugs again.... on Tuesday. Im thinking maybe thats causing my random cylinder miss...:bang head:

Jason

Ok. Post #22 you said you had a steady miss, then #31 post above states you have a random miss.... Did anything change between posts? Possible to swap plugs around and see if the miss follows it? Is it possible you have a wiring harness problem on the missing cylinder? Sounds like you are making progress at least!

ITS ALIVE!!!!

Ok. Post #22 you said you had a steady miss, then #31 post above states you have a random miss.... Did anything change between posts? Possible to swap plugs around and see if the miss follows it? Is it possible you have a wiring harness problem on the missing cylinder? Sounds like you are making progress at least!

Hahaha oops my bad, i meant the miss was random cause I never had it before(but it was the same cylinder that was missing) but the miss was from it being outa sync:bang head::bang head: even though i had double checked my sync.... i dont even know what ive done anymore!:ummm:

Any ways good news!!!!! After syncing Morleys carbs i went for a ride and my mids were FINE!!!! top end wasnt quite right but thats just a small jetting issue, I ran his carbs with his ECU and my ECU and it ran great with them both! So ive narrowed it down(i think) to my carbs.... since Morleys carbs run great on my bike and mine dont... im going to find out whats done to his carbs and check mine to see whats different.

I FINALLY FEEL LIKE IVE MADE PROGRESS!!!

THANKS TO EVERYONE FOR HELPING AND GIVING THERE INPUT!!

I dont know the exact issue with my carbs yet, but when i find what has been causing me all these problems i will let everyone know! And hopefully with all the experience and knowledge ive gained ill be able to help fellow vmaxers out too!:punk::punk:

Jason

Glad to hear it was the sync we talked about on the phone!

Sean

WHAT THE HECK!!! So after ive narrowed it down to my carbs being the problem on my bike... it set my carbs up exactly like the carbs that Sean sent me to test(im borrowing a friends stg7 jet kit, minus the air correctors) so my carbs are set up EXACTLY like Seans... minus having air correctors in.

So i install my carbs and fire it up...sync the carbs and still i cant even rev it up or give it a quick twist on the throttle, it stumbles and stalls out instantly.... infact if i whack the throttle to almost WOT and hold it... it will just die:bang head::bang head:

Im now REALLY confused!!!:ummm:

Jason

I would completely go over them....gotta be something simple like plugged passage, stuck slide.

I would completely go over them....gotta be something simple like plugged passage, stuck slide.

Hey Mark, well i had Fargo do a rebuild on them new gaskets orings super cleaning ect..... and before i put them back on my bike i went thru them again just to make sure..... my slides are very smooth and dont hang up at all. It idles fine and i can slowly rev it up to any rpm with minimal stumbling but it absolutely wont free rev:confused2:

Its the same scenario as before... if i close off half the air going into the airbox itll rev up just fine..... ???

Jason

Could be a venting issue? Try swapping slides, slide covers, hoses. Blow through each carb vent to make sure no vacuum.

Could be a venting issue? Try swapping slides, slide covers, hoses. Blow through each carb vent to make sure no vacuum.

Vents are clear, and so are slide covers, ill have to try swapping slides and see if that makes a difference.

Jason

Latest posts

Back